Norwegian webshop leak: American Professional II Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Norwegian webshop leak: American Professional II Jazzmaster

Post by tdbajus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:16 am
blunderbuss wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 am
Whereas I’m quite looking forward to a Pro Jazzmaster II because of the addition of rhythm circuit rout and modern appointments over the Original line.
I'm not quite sure what else other than the new vibrato system that the Pro II would give you over the American Original. AO has rhythm circuit rout, 9.5" radius, modern frets (narrow tall?)
No binding. I hate binding. I was a little bummed out that Fender didn't make a model I liked any more, after so many years of really knocking it out of the park, IMHO. I really like the look of this one, plus it has the series/parallel switching, FINALLY. I saw this stuff today and wondered if they had bugged my crib, or something.

I wish that Miami Blue came with rosewood - my God, I would faint.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm
GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:16 am
blunderbuss wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 am
Whereas I’m quite looking forward to a Pro Jazzmaster II because of the addition of rhythm circuit rout and modern appointments over the Original line.
I'm not quite sure what else other than the new vibrato system that the Pro II would give you over the American Original. AO has rhythm circuit rout, 9.5" radius, modern frets (narrow tall?)
No binding. I hate binding. I was a little bummed out that Fender didn't make a model I liked any more, after so many years of really knocking it out of the park, IMHO. I really like the look of this one, plus it has the series/parallel switching, FINALLY. I saw this stuff today and wondered if they had bugged my crib, or something.

I wish that Miami Blue came with rosewood - my God, I would faint.
I had just managed to convince myself that I could live with the binding on an AO and these dropped, so I feel you there.

I would normally look past series wiring in a JM. The few times I've heard it it always sounded a bit too bassy and indistinct - definitely not as nice to my ear as it is in a Tele. However, I reckon that's because the series tone has been taking place in the lead circuit. In some of the demos of the new APIIs it sounds a bit mellower. Maybe some of the circuitry of the old rhythm circuit is still in there and that's taming it a bit (conjecture on my part). I'd be curious to see a circuit diagram if one ever surfaces. Considering that it's not a knob-fiddling circuit anyway (at least not live/for me), I reckon one could probably replicate a decent preset tone normally found in the rhythm circuit with this one - the difference being that you've gone from the neck pickup to what's functionally a rather large humbucker. Noise canceling in that position is a bonus too.

I agree about the blue/rosewood, as well as the green. To my eye they're both within the palate you get with surfburst, which I dig. Rosewood board and a gold guard would be the chef's kiss for me.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Surface view of Panorama trem (top) vs AO (AVRI) trem (bottom). Arm hole is wider which is consistent with arm's need to move further. Plate screws now between rather than under strings.
The new Panorama™ Tremolo system with pop-in tremolo arm dramatically increases the range of vibrato available, allowing for deep, Strat-style dives, in addition to classic Jazzmaster warble.
Last edited by timtam on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Simply moving those two outer screws inward, where there's no chance they could ever contact the two E strings seems like something Fender would've - and could've - done about, oh, 55 years ago. And they look to be a bit smaller as well. Perhaps either one of those changes would've addressed the situation, but they wanted to be thorough and extra-sure! "Do 'em both, boys...move 'em and shrink 'em!" :D

I've got no problem with this upgrade/redesign. It looks/performs as the tremolo we all know, but adds/improves a few things too. That's kinda how things should work. I'm not so much of a traditionalist/purist that I scoff at legitimate improvements and capabilities. It isn't like they went and made it look all stupid or ugly, after all.

Of course, this means they'll likely never sell it as a standalone part so people can upgrade their existing offsets. I'll wager both of my lungs on that...
Last edited by pscates on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm
Arm hole is wider which is consistent with arm's need to move further. Plate screws now between rather than under strings.
So what you're saying is if I have 10 minutes and a Dremel...

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 pm

pscates wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm
Of course, this means they'll likely never sell it as a standalone part so people can upgrade their existing offsets. I'll wager both of my lungs on that...
This is sadly likely gonna be the case just like the Custom Shop RSD bridges, but one can dream lol

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Vendetagainst wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 pm
pscates wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm
This is sadly likely gonna be the case just like the Custom Shop RSD bridges, but one can dream lol
If nothing else I'm hoping that the vibratos and necks occasionally show up on Stratosphere or similar.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 pm

They will.

BTW, does anyone know - I haven't watched every YouTube video - if Fender has angled the neck pocket on these so they come Built-In Perma-Shimmed™? Didn't they do this on some other offsets in recent years? It seems I remember reading this in the specs listing for some other Jazzmaster models at Fender.com (or did I dream that?).

In any case, with all the other tweaks - neck, heel, switching, tremolo - this seems like a model that might have gotten such a feature. There's no mention of it on their site in the spec listings, so I'm gonna assume "no". I see the hold in the neck plate, so I guess the Micro-Tilt thing will do this?

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:41 pm

I was originally thinking I’d go Dark Night but now I’m leaning toward Mystic Seafoam. I’ve found myself preferring maple and it’s not like this is meant to be authentic. Besides, I have an AVRI coming. So a little old and a little new.
Ryan

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:58 pm

and now, the official promo from Fender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUObYjE ... 3-&index=4
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by triviani » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:03 pm

With a rosewood neck would look like this,

An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm

Trem under the hood .. live now ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDP9oSxhwc
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Well, it really looks like a good re-design of the tremolo unit, doesn't it? Good show, Fender.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Yeah, they seem to have introduced some sort of fix spacer in there that changes the fulcrum point and gives the bar more leverage and travel.

Seems smart, from what I could see on that video. If they make them available aftermarket, I'll definitely buy one for comparison purposes if nothing else.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm
Trem under the hood .. live now ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDP9oSxhwc
Pivot point now a hexagonal (?) block of some sort. New collet too.