Player Jag is back from shop and better than ever.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Player Jag is back from shop and better than ever.

Post by javier-san » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 pm

I really like mine, but I've changed A LOT of things...probably could have bought a "nicer" jaguar, but I had a lot of fun exploring different sounds and parts. ::)

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 pm

javier-san wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 pm
I really like mine, but I've changed A LOT of things...probably could have bought a "nicer" jaguar, but I had a lot of fun exploring different sounds and parts. ::)

Cool. The first time I saw a Player Jag I thought "That needs a P-Rail."
Question time!
What's the switching with the P-Rail? Usually folks install a mini toggle 3-way near the tone and volume.
Did the P-Rail fit in the regular pickguard humbucker hole or did you need to get a pickguard with an enlarged hole for covered humbuckers?
Lastly, is that just a cream Jag pickup cover on the neck, or did you change out the stock pickup?

Awesome look!
Thx
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:46 pm

So, for the p-rail my tech used the 2 way switch to pick between the "rail" or "p90" configurations and then added a push-pull pot for the "humbucker" configuration.

No need for a larger hole to swap out the stock humbucker for a p-rail. They are the same size.

As far as the neck p/u...I swapped the stock one for a Lollar.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 pm

javier-san wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:46 pm
So, for the p-rail my tech used the 2 way switch to pick between the "rail" or "p90" configurations and then added a push-pull pot for the "humbucker" configuration.

No need for a larger hole to swap out the stock humbucker for a p-rail. They are the same size.

As far as the neck p/u...I swapped the stock one for a Lollar.
Thanks!
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:01 am

I tried two Player Jazzmasters on Friday; a standard one and a 'Ltd Edition' Player model (which had the standard type wide single coils rather than the regular Player's humbuckers and a black painted headstock). I have to say that both of these Players felt really rough...worse than my Jaguar Player was. I don't think it's me getting more picky in my old age either. I guess you just have to factor into the lower price that you either need to do some work or mods yourself, or pay someone to sort them out. Shame because once done, as per my Jaguar and the OP's one, they play nicely.

I'm trying an American Orignal 60s Jazzmaster next Friday, but if it isn't absolutely 100% (and assuming I like the neck better than the others I tried) then I won't be taking it home having to do work on it. I don't mind on a cheaper guitar, if it's work I can do myself, but I don't really want to have to it to every guitar I buy.

Makes me wonder if it's just old stock that hasn't sold because they aren't good examples though? Surely if they were all this bad it would be all over the forums?

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:40 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:01 am
I tried two Player Jazzmasters on Friday; a standard one and a 'Ltd Edition' Player model (which had the standard type wide single coils rather than the regular Player's humbuckers and a black painted headstock). I have to say that both of these Players felt really rough...worse than my Jaguar Player was. I don't think it's me getting more picky in my old age either. I guess you just have to factor into the lower price that you either need to do some work or mods yourself, or pay someone to sort them out. Shame because once done, as per my Jaguar and the OP's one, they play nicely.

I'm trying an American Orignal 60s Jazzmaster next Friday, but if it isn't absolutely 100% (and assuming I like the neck better than the others I tried) then I won't be taking it home having to do work on it. I don't mind on a cheaper guitar, if it's work I can do myself, but I don't really want to have to it to every guitar I buy.

Makes me wonder if it's just old stock that hasn't sold because they aren't good examples though? Surely if they were all this bad it would be all over the forums?
Interesting, has there been any similar comments on the vintera series? I mean player series are between 6-700eur in Europe w/o gigbag so quality control really should be better at this price point IMHO and here we often don't have opportunity to try multiple different examples before buying. I don't want to be paying extra for reputation if its not followed through.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:11 am

I haven't really followed any Vintera threads on here or Tele/Strat based forums, so I don't know. I'm just surprised because I played on my friend's Player Strat he bought about a year ago and recall it was nicely set up and played well. He isn't the type to fiddle about with his guitars, so it was exactly as it came from the shop when I played it, even down to the strings. It struck me as a nice mid range option to look at if I didn't want to stretch to an American model. Hence I've been looking at the various Offset Players on and off for the last year...just took me a while to get round to trying some.

Actually I just had a look on line and realised that his is a 'Tidepool Blue' Strat, so it has a maple fingerboard not Pau Ferro. Perhaps the fret ends on his were buried in poly, which might account for it not feeling rough to play. My Teles and the neck off my Esquire project are all MIM and maple fingerboards too, so maybe I'm just more sensitive to the fret ends on the PF models? It's not insurmountable as the OP has found, just a little surprising for me, especially the two Jazzmasters as they felt very sharp on the edges that I was concerned I'd cut my hands.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:35 am

I have a Vintera Mustang. The trem needed setting up (a fiddly job), and I put o a Staytrem (because I had one - standard bridge was ok), but everything else was very good. Nice fretwork, correct neck relief, smooth fret ends, perfect finish, etc.

I queried recently on the Mustang bass thread why the players are a chunk cheaper than the Vinteras when they are the same origin, and largely the same materials. Part of it may we’ll be the finishing.
All the cheeses....

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:35 am
I have a Vintera Mustang. The trem needed setting up (a fiddly job), and I put o a Staytrem (because I had one - standard bridge was ok), but everything else was very good. Nice fretwork, correct neck relief, smooth fret ends, perfect finish, etc.

I queried recently on the Mustang bass thread why the players are a chunk cheaper than the Vinteras when they are the same origin, and largely the same materials. Part of it may we’ll be the finishing.
I think on some other thread here i mentioned playing a Vintera mustang and being impressed, if hadnt already bought the Jag i think i would have grabbed this so wonder if qc on vintera series is higher in general

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:08 pm

barryd wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 am
I think on some other thread here i mentioned playing a Vintera mustang and being impressed, if hadnt already bought the Jag i think i would have grabbed this so wonder if qc on vintera series is higher in general
Might've been me? I've been gushing about mine and it really earned it. When I got it I set it up with a set of 11s, and all I really had to do was set up the trem (which is fiddly). With the stock 10s, it intonated with no issues, the tuners held well, and the the whole thing just felt like a finished piece of work. As far as preference, I put a shim in it to raise the bridge a touch, put some locking tuners, and put in some new pickups, but that was all optional stuff. I've had my hands on a couple of Vinteras (mostly the Telecasters & Strat) and they were at the same level of polish. Speaking of polish, the finish on all of them was also flawless.

The players are a decent bit cheaper, but they also have some issues. The "optional" work I did on mine wouldn't be as optional IMO with a Player, but for $400ish less compared to my Mustang, I wouldn't expect it to be as good on finishing/setup. Put some new pickups, get a fret job done, check the hardware, swap the nut and add a shim if you need it, and it'll be a great player. Out of the box though, the Vinteras are as much of an improvement as you'd expect for the price point difference.

I will say though that compared to the US Fenders, the MIM stuff from Player to Vintera is getting scary good and there's very little reason to go US on the lower end, with the AM Standard/Professional/Special/Performer -- fancy stuff like AV and Parallel Universe or CS, sure, but other than that, a modded/worked up Player will give you as much guitar for like half the price (because you will need to mod and do work on the lower-end US Fenders in my experience), and a Vintera will give you something competitive and better-finished out of the box. I'd definitely recommend a Vintera if you're not super precious about CoM and nitro or whatever, and just want a really solid axe that's not too pricey that you feel bad/don't want to mod if you feel like it, but that's also really good out of the box so that modding is entirely optional.