Which Jazzmaster?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Which Jazzmaster?

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:33 am

Well it didn't take long: I've had my Player Jaguar all of 2 weeks and I've already started looking at Jazzmasters. ;D I've put some background, but if you prefer to cut to the chase, jump to the bottom paragraph. :)

I've said elsewhere that I was a bit surprised at the slightly rough finish on my MIM Player Jaguar, but there were precious few around near me at the moment (and I won't buy unseen these days). It was a good price and I knew that the issues were things I could deal with, such as sharp fret ends, rough fingerboard/frets, sharp tuning near the nut (I re-cut the slots) and the typical bridge rattles (solved with thread lock).

So yesterday I had the chance to try a Player Jazzmaster, a Ltd edition Player Jazzmaster (painted headstock, single coil Jazzmaster pickups) and an American performer.

The two players were even rougher than my Jaguar Player was, which was really disappointing though ultimately a non-issue because I found the neck too slim for my taste. Granted it was slightly deeper than the American Performer, which was also very slightly narrower too. The AMP was better finished, though strays a bit further away from traditional Jazzmasters with the Strat style bridge.

I preferred the sound of the single coil pickups to the humbucker on the standard player JM; hard to tell much difference between the JM Ltd edition and JMP pickups as I was playing through an unfamiliar amp (Fender Pro Junior I think) and it was already set with a bit of over drive. Both sounded nice and 'juicy' on the neck though.

<JUMP TO HERE IF BORED ;D >
I have the chance of an ex-display American Original 60s or another American Professional. Only £100 between them. I suspect the AO60s neck might be too slim for my taste though and the AP is poly, which seems a bit 'cheap' considering the price. Is there an older model of Jazzmaster (non vintage) that might have a deeper neck section, 9.5" radius, traditional Jazzmaster style tremolo and possibly nitro finished that I could look out for on the used market? Something that is decently finished, so I don't have to spend time and effort working on it, other than a setup and restring, ideally cheaper than an ex display American Professional.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which Jazzmaster?

Post by timiscott » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 am

Sounds like an AV65 might be closest. They are utterly fantastic.

Great Yawn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Great Yawn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:25 am

Are you sure the AO neck will be too slim? I've got an AV65 and the neck is quite chunky. Not sure if these models have a different neck profile.

If the difference between the AO and the AP is 'only' £100 I'd go with the AO. The finish will be nicer and thinner and it sounds like that matters to you.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 am

Get pictures and circumference measurements of the necks.

You can't wish a neck chunkier.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:13 am

The AV'65 and AO Jazzmasters have very thick necks, the thickest production Fender neck in recent memory that I can think of. I doubt it will be too slim unless you are literally a gorilla.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 am

timiscott wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 am
Would be appropriate as that's probably the closest to a 'birth year' guitar I'm likely to get. Shame that the shop I was in yesterday has an AV62 Jaguar in stock at a decent price, which I did consider before I bought my Player. Since I planned some mods to the Jaguar, it didn't seem right to get an AV62 and start pulling it apart. I didn't even see it yesterday, but that's probably a good thing. ;D
Great Yawn wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:25 am
Are you sure the AO neck will be too slim? I've got an AV65 and the neck is quite chunky. Not sure if these models have a different neck profile.

If the difference between the AO and the AP is 'only' £100 I'd go with the AO. The finish will be nicer and thinner and it sounds like that matters to you.
I'm just going on the descriptions really. The Player is a 'modern C' and the Performer is also a 'modern C', but has a slightly narrow nut (42mm verses 42.8mm for the Player.

The AO60s is described as 'Mid 60s C' and is the narrower 42mm (1.650") nut width.
The American Pro is described as 'Modern deep C' with 42.8mm (1.685") nut width.

Do you think that 'Mid 60s C' might be like an AV65 if not in terms of the nut width (which doesn't bother me particularly either way)?

jvin248 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 am

In theory, good idea, but in practice I think I'll struggle to get that detail from them. I might get on their 'chat' latter and see what the deal is getting them both shipped to my nearest store as both are a very long way away and the shop has no more new stock of these, only ex demo. If they will ship them to the same store without me having to commit to buying either, then I'll go for that option, but I have a feeling they won't do that.

They also have an AO60s Strat which was my other option (I know, I'll be cast out of here ;D ) and I have played my friend's AO60s Strat, so I know I like the neck on it: Different enough from my '57 spec Strat, but I thought I'd rather have something a bit more different to another Strat if I get a 25.5" scale Fender.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 am

timiscott wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 am
Would be appropriate as that's probably the closest to a 'birth year' guitar I'm likely to get. Shame that the shop I was in yesterday has an AV62 Jaguar in stock at a decent price, which I did consider before I bought my Player. Since I planned some mods to the Jaguar, it didn't seem right to get an AV62 and start pulling it apart. I didn't even see it yesterday, but that's probably a good thing. ;D
Great Yawn wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:25 am

I'm just going on the descriptions really. The Player is a 'modern C' and the Performer is also a 'modern C', but has a slightly narrow nut (42mm verses 42.8mm for the Player.

The AO60s is described as 'Mid 60s C' and is the narrower 42mm (1.650") nut width.
The American Pro is described as 'Modern deep C' with 42.8mm (1.685") nut width.

Do you think that 'Mid 60s C' might be like an AV65 if not in terms of the nut width (which doesn't bother me particularly either way)?

jvin248 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 am

In theory, good idea, but in practice I think I'll struggle to get that detail from them. I might get on their 'chat' latter and see what the deal is getting them both shipped to my nearest store as both are a very long way away and the shop has no more new stock of these, only ex demo. If they will ship them to the same store without me having to commit to buying either, then I'll go for that option, but I have a feeling they won't do that.

They also have an AO60s Strat which was my other option (I know, I'll be cast out of here ;D ) and I have played my friend's AO60s Strat, so I know I like the neck on it: Different enough from my '57 spec Strat, but I thought I'd rather have something a bit more different to another Strat if I get a 25.5" scale Fender.

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:13 am
The AV'65 and AO Jazzmasters have very thick necks, the thickest production Fender neck in recent memory that I can think of. I doubt it will be too slim unless you are literally a gorilla.
I've got a 'Fat U '51' neck on my Esquire which is about 1" deep. It was this neck that got me into having alternative guitars with thicker and slimmer necks. I only have small hands, but I bought the '51 neck as a trial (it was cheap at the time, gone up now I notice) and it really suits me. I do like the change when I go back to my Classic 50s Tele which is a 'C shape' and no where near as deep.

I just don't see the point having guitars that are too similar to each other. I suppose you could argue that any Jazzmaster is a change from my Strat/Tele/Jaguar, but I just fancy a Rosewood board on a fatter neck.

That would be great if the AO has a nice chunky neck.

EDIT: I've messaged the store to see what the deal is getting the AO shipped without having to commit to buy it.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:43 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:13 am
I've got a 'Fat U '51' neck on my Esquire which is about 1" deep. It was this neck that got me into having alternative guitars with thicker and slimmer necks. I only have small hands, but I bought the '51 neck as a trial (it was cheap at the time, gone up now I notice) and it really suits me. I do like the change when I go back to my Classic 50s Tele which is a 'C shape' and no where near as deep.

I just don't see the point having guitars that are too similar to each other. I suppose you could argue that any Jazzmaster is a change from my Strat/Tele/Jaguar, but I just fancy a Rosewood board on a fatter neck.

That would be great if the AO has a nice chunky neck.

EDIT: I've messaged the store to see what the deal is getting the AO shipped without having to commit to buy it.
I can tell you that I have owned an Am Pro Jaguar and I currently own a '65 Thin Skin Jazzmaster - the Jazzmaster's neck is thicker. I liked the neck on the Am Pro too, but this is the thickest Fender neck I've had. It feels great though, I also have small hands.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:53 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:43 am

I can tell you that I have owned an Am Pro Jaguar and I currently own a '65 Thin Skin Jazzmaster - the Jazzmaster's neck is thicker. I liked the neck on the Am Pro too, but this is the thickest Fender neck I've had. It feels great though, I also have small hands.
Thanks for your help. :)

I just got off the phone to the store. A 10% deposit (refundable if I'm not happy with it) and it will be delivered to my nearest store next week. I probably won't be able to get there until Friday afternoon, so will be looking forward to trying it out.

I'll post a NGD if I decide to keep it, though I haven't got an account to post photos from, so no pictures I'm afraid, but we all know what an AO60s Jazzmaster looks like. :)

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 am

I have an AO60s Jazzmaster.

Neck is definitely thick at the 12th fret. I did measure it with callipers when I bought it, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of the measurements (!). I think it was something like 0.97", around that mark.

However, at the 1st fret it's a lot slimmer. Again, I can't remember precise measurements - maybe about 0.83".

So it's got a significant taper from the 1st to 12th frets, which I personally find to be the most comfortable kind of neck, But if you prefer one of those Nocaster/52 Tele type necks, with no taper and a thick 1" from 1st to 12th, then this isn't the neck for you.

FWIW, I have a Squier 51, which is often said to be a 'thick' necked guitar. I measured that as 0.86" at the first fret and 0.88" at the 12th. Certainly, it feels a good bit meatier at the 1st than my AO Jazzmaster, but much slimmer than the Jazzmaster at the 12th fret.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:08 pm

I also have an AO Jazzmaster, I A/B’d it with an AV65 and the necks felt pretty identical to me.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 pm

I have the Ame. Pro and a Thinskin JM (pretty much same specs as the Original), the Original def. has a bigger neck, although the Pro is a decent size.