NGD: Fender Vintera 60's Jaguar OTM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Fender Vintera 60's Jaguar OTM

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:02 pm

pscates wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm
Forgive a stupid question, but do these pau ferro necks ever darken or even out over time? If so, we're talking years of steady playing, huh? Is there something you can apply/wipe on to get a more traditional (for this particular model) darker rosewood look?
While I 100% recommend trying this on a loose piece of wood first, you might have some luck using some kind of very transparent dark brown stain over the top, like tinting a maple neck. Same kind of thing people do to get ebony boards to look pitch-black.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:10 pm

???
pscates wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm
Forgive a stupid question, but do these pau ferro necks ever darken or even out over time? If so, we're talking years of steady playing, huh? Is there something you can apply/wipe on to get a more traditional (for this particular model) darker rosewood look? I've yet to come around to that streaky, chocolate milk-looking appearance. I don't mind it on contemporary models, where it actually makes sense and there isn't that disconnect. But it looks odd/off on reissue type models blatantly positioned as 60's era guitars. I wish, on those types of models, Fender would dye them or something so they look the part a little better, the way they used to before that CITES(?) stuff kicked in.

Still a gorgeous guitar, don't get me wrong. I love that color! I just love how a good, dark rosewood neck looks on a guitar that is positioned to be a 60's type of vibe.
Lemon oil should do it man. I had a Vintera Mod JM for a time last year and after a couple of coats, it was pretty dark.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:47 pm

pscates wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:58 pm
I've seen some of those Stratosphere necks on eBay where it looks like a zebra fell into a vat of chocolate milk and redwood deck stain. Quite a range of appearances, unlike before.
That sounds fantastic to me. I love fretboards with a lot of character in the wood.
I specifically look for the most characterful fretboard, even with Rosewood.

Personally, I feel the Pau Ferro looks great on most solid colour Fenders. I haven't warmed up to it on Sunburst guitars yet. The darker, browner Rosewood is key on those.
I really like the hue of the PF with OTM.

I wouldn't sweat too much about vintage accuracy for a Mexican model that's not technically a Reissue, but more of a tribute.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:11 am

I'm not usually a fan of green guitars, especially with tort, but that combination is just heavenly. VERY nice Jaguar 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:22 am

Congrats! I recently purchased this exact same guitar and I love it. I have the same AO Jazzmaster in this color as well that Jeff mentioned earlier in the thread. I need to get a pic of the two together for comparison. Mine has a pretty dark board for pau ferro as does my 60th anniversary JM. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I personally don't mind PF being lighter as long as it isn't like reallllllly light. I saw a Duosonic a few years ago with a PF board that was extremely light to the point that it was just hideous, so that's my standard for comparison.

The only things I might do to it are put in either a Staytrem or Mastery bridge and if I mess around with it and don't love the pickups I may drop some AV65s in instead (although from the under the hood type pics I've seen on the forum here, it looks like they're made incredibly similar to the AV65s anyway even though supposedly they're some Tim Shaw designed vintage style ones instead).

Novae
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Novae » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:52 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:22 am
Congrats! I recently purchased this exact same guitar and I love it. I have the same AO Jazzmaster in this color as well that Jeff mentioned earlier in the thread. I need to get a pic of the two together for comparison. Mine has a pretty dark board for pau ferro as does my 60th anniversary JM. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I personally don't mind PF being lighter as long as it isn't like reallllllly light. I saw a Duosonic a few years ago with a PF board that was extremely light to the point that it was just hideous, so that's my standard for comparison.

The only things I might do to it are put in either a Staytrem or Mastery bridge and if I mess around with it and don't love the pickups I may drop some AV65s in instead (although from the under the hood type pics I've seen on the forum here, it looks like they're made incredibly similar to the AV65s anyway even though supposedly they're some Tim Shaw designed vintage style ones instead).
I have seen some darker and lighter pau ferro boards. Too light just looks off. I think mine is a good example of pau ferro and represents its appearance well.

I’m going to try to get along with the stock bridge myself for now. I’m quite curious of the pickups. I’d love to learn more about them. I read about them being designed by Tim Shaw but didn’t find much else.

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:54 am

daaaaamn

buying one of those roasted maple Vintera Mod necks from Sweetwater soon.
this Jag looks awesome