NGD... inevitably another JM!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD... inevitably another JM!

Post by electric12 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:20 am

Well it had to happen!

I had no intention of getting another Jazzmaster. I was quite content with my Thin Skin and my main gigging modded SQ JMJM. In fact I'd just sold my spare Squier Mascis back in the summer, but I was browsing (as you do... idle hands and all that) and a local independent guitar shop had a black 2008 MIM listed on their website, and I got that itch again!

So I went and had a look next day, expecting it to be long-gone, but no... there it was gleaming on the wall.

Now it is gleaming in my lounge, leaning against the couch! Although that's a carpet in the photo ;)

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD... inevitably another JM!

Post by jakeisjake » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 pm

always great to have a backup to your back up...because, you know, you never know!

Congrats!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Congratulations! I got my black CP JM back in 2009 and still have it. It’s been through some pickup and bridge changes, but the main thing is that it feels great! Enjoy!

Novae
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Novae » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:53 pm

These black Classic Players look so classy. Enjoy!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:30 pm

I love the CP Jazzmasters. Especially the black ones.
I didn't like the idea of them at first, but after playing many of them since they came out, I found that the things I thought I would hate, weren't bad at all.

The Mascis Squier is basically one of these with a different belly contour. I wonder if he had played one after his original design by Fender Japan came out, and had Squier change the specs?
When I saw them live in 2008, he had a CP with him, alongside his bluish purple Signature prototype.
What year did the Squier version launch?
I can see him preferring the CP layout, as he admits to recording with P90 guitars, and has used TOMs all along.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:30 pm
I love the CP Jazzmasters. Especially the black ones.
I didn't like the idea of them at first, but after playing many of them since they came out, I found that the things I thought I would hate, weren't bad at all.

The Mascis Squier is basically one of these with a different belly contour. I wonder if he had played one after his original design by Fender Japan came out, and had Squier change the specs?
When I saw them live in 2008, he had a CP with him, alongside his bluish purple Signature prototype.
What year did the Squier version launch?
I can see him preferring the CP layout, as he admits to recording with P90 guitars, and has used TOMs all along.
IIRC the Squier JMJM came out in 2012.

I think that what sold me on the CP is the fact that it felt so similar to the SQ Mascis. The pickups are different - slightly better IMHO - on the CP but I have replaced them anyway with the ones from the Mascis I sold (a Mojo bridge and Squier Mascis neck one) so that it sounds similar to my other JMJM. The neck though feels very nice - a good handful. Not so keen on the screw in trem arm but I'll live! At least the vibrato feels more solid than the basic Squier one.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what is the accepted going price for a used CP?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:44 am

nice one. My CP JM is my main guitar plays like a dream. and I have parted with jags and jm's that would be considered 'superior' based on country of manufacture, specs, etc.

Not sure what the going rate for used ones is now, but here in the Toronto market I can easily see them being sold for in the $800-$1000 range. guitar market is wacky.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 pm
always great to have a backup to your back up...because, you know, you never know!

Congrats!
Thanks - that's exactly right! ;)
wproffitt wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 pm
Congratulations! I got my black CP JM back in 2009 and still have it. It’s been through some pickup and bridge changes, but the main thing is that it feels great! Enjoy!

Cheers! A replacement bridge is definitely on the to-do list.
Novae wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:53 pm
These black Classic Players look so classy. Enjoy!
Cheers - I always fancied giving my 'spare' JMJM a re-finish in black so this ticks that box too ;D
MKR wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:44 am
nice one. My CP JM is my main guitar plays like a dream. and I have parted with jags and jm's that would be considered 'superior' based on country of manufacture, specs, etc.

Not sure what the going rate for used ones is now, but here in the Toronto market I can easily see them being sold for in the $800-$1000 range. guitar market is wacky.

Yeah, the used market is a bit mad in the UK at the minute too. I've seen used Squier Mascis JMs for example, being advertised at £100 - 150 over what I sold mine for a few months back - and that's private sales, not Ebay!
I think I got a pretty good deal on the CP from the sound of it (£480), and the shop owner is even throwing in a fret dress and proper setup as after I had a go I noticed a high fret... although I'm hoping I can get it back from the shop before we go back into lockdown on Thursday! :fp:

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:25 am

Nice score! These CP Jm's are great. I set one up for a friend a while ago and was quiete pleased how good it played and sounded.
The neck on these guitars are really nice. The guitar inspired me to buy a Vintera 60's JM in IBM... a decission I have not regetted since.
(I lusted over a IBM Jm for ages, although I also own a black parts Jm very simelar to a CP)
Even though quiete a different Jm then the CP, both are really great and good value guitars imho. I personally prefer these over the MIJ/CIJ's...

Mandeezee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mandeezee » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:00 am

Does a squier mascis anodized pickguard fit the CP without modding the guitar?

Mandeezee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mandeezee » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:00 am

Oh, and happy new guitar day.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:31 am

electric12 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 pm
Yeah, the used market is a bit mad in the UK at the minute too. I've seen used Squier Mascis JMs for example, being advertised at £100 - 150 over what I sold mine for a few months back - and that's private sales, not Ebay!
I think I got a pretty good deal on the CP from the sound of it (£480), and the shop owner is even throwing in a fret dress and proper setup as after I had a go I noticed a high fret... although I'm hoping I can get it back from the shop before we go back into lockdown on Thursday! :fp:
Did you get it back?

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:30 am

gusgorman wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:31 am
electric12 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 pm
Did you get it back?
Yes, I did thanks. :)
I had a rather hectic couple of hours on Wednesday morning doing guitar-related stuff:
1. Collect Boss FZ-2 from repairer
2. Dash to a retail park car park to meet somebody to sell them an Epiphone Wilshire (paid for the Jazzmaster, thank you very much! :) )
3. Call into supermarket to stock up on loo roll and spaghetti hoops
4. Over to the other side of town to collect the JM
5. Spend the next couple of hours familiarising myself with lovely new JM!

I have to say, the shop guy did a very nice job of the set-up. I'll certainly be taking my guitars to him next time they have an issue that's beyond my abilities!
Mandeezee wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:00 am
Oh, and happy new guitar day.
Thanks! :)

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you about the Mascis scratchplates... IIRC the SQ Mascis one is US spec. I'm not clued-up on the MIMs although I do know (courtesy of the Staytrem website) that they seem to be very random in their selection of Imperial/ metric threads!
ohm-men wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:25 am
Nice score! These CP Jm's are great. I set one up for a friend a while ago and was quiete pleased how good it played and sounded.
The neck on these guitars are really nice. The guitar inspired me to buy a Vintera 60's JM in IBM... a decission I have not regetted since.
(I lusted over a IBM Jm for ages, although I also own a black parts Jm very simelar to a CP)
Even though quiete a different Jm then the CP, both are really great and good value guitars imho. I personally prefer these over the MIJ/CIJ's...
Thanks - I am very pleased with it :)

I'm with you on the CIJ/MIJ JMs - I'd had three before I eventually got my AVRI Thin Skin, but I much prefer the JMJM (and now presumably the CP) as a live instrument.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:14 am

Mandeezee wrote:
Difficult to say. Although it seams the newer Squier line's pickguards resemble the US/MEX hole patterns in most cases.
I was able to mount a US hole patteren aftermarket gold guard on a Squier without having to make any modifications to it. It fitted like a glove.
So vice versa could be possible as well.
Also since both guitars come with a Tune O Matic bridge, the cutout fof this should be correct.
But as always, keep in mind that there is a posibility that some screw holes do not line up perfectly. But an overall fit should be possible.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:51 am

Mandeezee wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to say that I changed the anodised one on my squier JM JM for a mint one which is the US JM fitting.