Jazzmaster newbie, Found a MIJ, any good?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster newbie, Found a MIJ, any good?

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:18 pm

I owned an MIJ for a very long time and only recently sold it. After an initial setup it was rock solid. As in I never had to touch the truss rod for over two decades.

The neck was a bit too skinny for me (though the one on the Road Worn I replaced it with was not much different). I mainly sold it because I was bored, but I'm quite happy with the Road Worn (with aftermarket pickups, anodized pickguard, and a Staytrem bridge).

If you're planning to swap pickguard and other stuff you'll have more choices with US spec stuff, though that has been changing recently.

As has been mentioned often the stock MIJ pickups were pretty meh or at least not very Jazzmaster-y.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:02 am

The reason I am here is because I bought an MIJ Jazzmaster from the early 90s shortly after it had been bought new. It's the last guitar I would ever sell, I just love it.

Some years ago I gutted out the electronics and pickups and such, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:03 am

1100 € is really overpriced...
I played numerous MIJ Jazzmasters and I honnestly there was only one that I really liked. The others were not bad, but not great either....
On this much beloved MIJ Jazzmaster I did the following;

-New electronics (wiring/pots/Jack, the whole shabang....)
-New pick ups (SD Ant. II)
-New trem (AVRI)
-New tuners (Gotoh)
-New pickguard. (CIJ to replace the horrible "chopped liver" item that was on there)
-New nut (Was broken)

Count your pennies on that one ;)
But it sounded great... Although I guess for the money I should have bought a used AVRI (if I was more wise...)

Before you look at a used MIJ Jazzmaster, check out a Fender MIM Vintera Jazzmaster. I like these guitars a lot more then the MIJ's.
You don't need to do an electronics upgrade, pu's in these are pretty darn great and the rest of the electronics are good.
They are Alder, and lighter then the Japanese Sen Alder (or whatever it's called) I find the latter less resonant, but that might be just in the ear of the beholder. Finish on the Vintara's apears to be less thick as well and overall the guitar is less heavy then the MIJ's I owned and played.

In Europe the Vintara Jazzmasters go for € 800,- new, that is... There is no hair on my head that would pay € 1100,- for a used MIJ jazzmaster...
But that's just me.... No really.... spent your hard earned money on a better guitar that does not need a Pick up change to sound decent....
Just my 2 € cents.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

The American Performer Series seem to be quite good Guitars..

If you could find a mint used Fender Lacquer 60's it should be well within your budget & they are the closest you can get to a Fender AV65 JM which are as good as they get.. Next to CS...

You could be on the lookout for a mint used AV65 JM. They might be a it more than your budget but need nothing except a good Set up & a new Set of Strings...

Savolover
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Savolover » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:41 am

I think the price of MIJ jazzmasters and the mods you have to do to them (pickups, bridge) means you’re better of buying an American original.

Savolover
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Savolover » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 am

And I second the point about the Mexican classic lacquer being the best value jazzmaster (if you can find one).

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Savolover wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 am
And I second the point about the Mexican classic lacquer being the best value jazzmaster (if you can find one).

I third the 60s Lacquer man, US spec for MIM price. There was one on Facebook marketplace for £700 odd just the other day. Hard case, nitro finish, good pick ups. I like the 60th anniversary too, prices seem to have went a bit daft with them though.