NBD - Sherwood Green Player Mustang Bass

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD - Sherwopod Green Player Mustang Bass

Post by vistavision » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 pm
I hate P/J setups, but the Sherwood hides the bridge pickup well. :)
P/J is the HSS of basses. It's the lazy manufacturer's choice. My short scale Talman bass immediately had the J pulled out.
Of course my main bass is an '04 P-Bass Special I'll never get rid of so I'm kinda playing both sides!
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD - Sherwood Green Player Mustang Bass

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:37 pm

It looks great. I love the blend mod.
I don't understand the hate for P/J combo.
Sure it looks super awkward, but Jazz bass bridge pickups sound good, and are ideal for lots of different styles, especially pick style and fuzzy bass lines.

I love the necks on Mustang Basses. Someday I'll get one to go with my Jazz Bass. Not a P Bass fan at all. They sound fantastic, but I never played one that didn't have an overly wide nut and uncomfortably fat neck.
I'll likely inherit my father's P Bass someday, and I guess I will get used to it, because it ain't going anywhere.
"Can you please pass me a jug of winter light?" - Lee Ranaldo 2000
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:42 pm

Yeah PJ hate I don't get - if you don't use the J then don't use it, but knocking it (and HSS, as above) as the cop-out option is a cop-out: darned PJs (and HSS whatevers) are crazy versatile, can be used for just about everything, and even if you never use the J or the H or the SS in either setup, the only way I see either as a problem is if they're actively impeding you in getting the setup dialed in how you want, but I've run into maybe two guitars where that was a problem and it was because of other underlying issues.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

Another vote here for PJ setups. It's all the goodness of a P bass, with a lil' more if you want.

The blend pot is a really nice modification. My shortscale PJ has individual volume knobs, which I really like.
This is an excellent rectangle

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 am

Wanted one of these (sherwood!) for a while before the pandemic, but ended up getting a vintera instead. Not quite as good a colour, but I like its feel & sound more than the player bass even though it only has 1 pickup. I didn't need a 3rd P/J bass...

Nice idea to add the blend knob, my precision bass has one, I prefer it to the usual aproach of individual volume controls. I actually find it quite bizarre to have a 3-way switch on a bass.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:37 pm
It looks great. I love the blend mod.
I don't understand the hate for P/J combo.
Sure it looks super awkward, but Jazz bass bridge pickups sound good, and are ideal for lots of different styles, especially pick style and fuzzy bass lines.
It's funny, I record and gig a Fender with a P/J setup and my bass has the Jazz neck, so super comfy. But having worked in a music shop for a long time, seeing basically every guitar manufacturer go straight to a P/J setup it just seemed obvious and lazy after a while. Also, I understand why its done, though.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 am

I’ve got some PJs and the only one where I actually get something out of the set up is on my US Jaguar. When you have both pickups on there’s a switch that goes between series and parallel and while I don’t know which is which, one of those settings is really good and sounds nothing like a stock PJ with both pickups going. It’s just very full and driving.

My other beef with J pickups is that if you play with any dirt the hum is really annoying in a way it’s not on guitar. I’d like to put a noiseless J in my Jaguar but the wiring setup inside that bass is crazy. On my Mustang I never use the J pickup and if the bass has any issue, the stick switch is already broken.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 am

I like J pickups honestly. They are more clear in the ones I have tried. I don't use them individually. Kinda like a Jazzmaster where I use middle position. :)
@}--Christopher--{@
DiMarzio Humbucker Fan Club Member

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

On the PJ thing, I only have this one bass and find the flexibility of the set up is useful for me - i do make use of the J pickup. Though I did notice when researching the bass and blend pot, that the PJ set up is regarded as absolute heresy by quite a few people!
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before....