Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:29 am

ShatoonBringerOfCorn wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 am
Agree on the neck. I don't mind the black headstock, but I just wish it was all maple.

The Toronado is probably closest Fender to an SG, with the 2x tone and 2x volume and HH config. Just doesn't have the bridge & tailpiece.
The Toronado also has the 24,75" scale. So besides the bridge it's absolutely the closest thing to a SG with a Powercaster (same scale length, P90 in the neck HB in the Bridge, but only single v & t control) second - and then a double Humbucking Stop Tail Jaguar - at least in my book! :-)

...the 24,75" is right in the middle between a Jag and a Jazzmaster... not anyhow closer to the 24" - but the transition from being a Les Paul player to being a Jaguar player was pretty fluid.

I love the black headstocks. Maple fretboard would be okay - but not necessary for me...

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 am

how is this and this the same color ?

they aren't even close. I'm waiting until i see one not photo shopped before I order one because I don't like the paint on the strat at all compared to the jaguar

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:57 pm

robroe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 am
they aren't even close. I'm waiting until i see one not photo shopped before I order one because I don't like the paint on the strat at all compared to the jaguar
If that's not enough, they use the same colour name as the existing limited edition AmPro JM and Elite Strat, and neither of the Squiers are the same colour that those. The Strat's edges look like OTM compared to the sparkly LPB on the American models and the Jag looks practically like Sherwood Green, to use existing Fender colours as comparisons.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 pm

robroe wrote:
how is this and this the same color ?

What kind of Strat is that? Love the control layout and moved middle pickup position to the bridge.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 pm
What kind of Strat is that? Love the control layout and moved middle pickup position to the bridge.
It's the new Squier. The influence is clear - Ron Thorn had a design called the California Special that he was building on his own. When he joined the Fender Custom Shop, he brought his design with him and it's been released as a Fender-branded Custom Shop California Special (CSCS?).

This is the first time that "second bridge pickup" approach from the CS made its way onto another Fender model. Some other brands have done it but the particular spacing and angle is clearly the one that Ron has been using for years.

It's a pretty cool layout, which offers three bridge pickup tones - the "middle" bridge alone, the two bridge pickups in parallel, and the two bridge pickups in series. Here is one in action with the pickup switch positions explained, though the audio and tones from this one are much better.

Of course, I'd be much happier to see an actual California Special, since it's offset and interesting-looking with a fun miniaturized Jazzmaster/Mustang hybrid vibrato and floating bridge, but I'm sure it was in Ron's contract that he would be the only one allowed to build it at Fender. All the ones I've seen are "master-built Ron Thorn" instruments, which makes sense, since it was his design and this was a way to allow him to build them at Fender without breaking his contract and making a competing instrument independently.

I wonder if Ron had to approve the pickup and knob placement on this strat, or if Fender acquired the rights to his design. The fact that he still works there tells me they probably did this above-board and/or with his involvement. It just can't possibly be a coincidence, and they'd have to be pretty huge assholes to cannibalize the ideas of one of their biggest catches in terms of independent luthiers hired to work in the Custom Shop.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm
[...] This is the first time that "second bridge pickup" approach from the CS made its way onto another Fender model. Some other brands have done it but the particular spacing and angle is clearly the one that Ron has been using for years. [...]
While what you say is true, I think Robbie Robertson would like to have a word with you... :D

Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:27 pm

Gordon wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 pm
While what you say is true, I think Robbie Robertson would like to have a word with you... :D
Funny, I never listened to The Band so I didn't know about that guitar. I did mention that Ron Thorn wasn't the first to do it though!

This one still uses the spacing and angles of Ron's design though.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:27 pm

BTW, loving the RR Strat and having been willing to build something inspired by it for years, the blueskywhatever Contemporary Strat above is virtually the Strat I wanted to build, save for the trem (I like hardtails), I even love the finish (but unfortunately the HT version offers different finishes). So... :ph34r:
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:27 pm
This one still uses the spacing and angles of Ron's design though.
I think that, on a production model, the RR is problematic as the "middle" pickup is actually a lefty. The V-shape of the pickup base makes it impossible to put the pickups flush with one another, unless you use a straight base like a Lace or a DiMarzio, but that also impacts how they're made. Best option is to have some gap between them. Fine by me, as it also is what I wanted in my RR tribute. :whistle:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:13 pm

vistavision wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am
I've been looking at getting an Electromatic Gretsch but the Shoreline Gold modded with Blacktop Filtertrons would scratch that itch just fine. The Johnny Marr switching is the icing on the cake. Also the neck has a 12" radius so it matches the bridge so that won't drive me nuts.

Jaguarito? Cabronituar?
You might enjoy this thread.

I don't really recommend Blacktops, though. The main issue is that they have half-sized (1/8") thick PAF magnets in them instead of proper 1/4" filtertron magnets. I've owned and played Blacktop and HS Filtertrons, Fidelitrons, TV Classics, and Powertrons and the Blacktops are the only ones I found disappointing overall. I still have them, in a Chinese Billy-Bo copy, but I'm planning to open them up and do a magnet swap for proper full-thickness magnets to see if that brings them to life.

ShatoonBringerOfCorn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ShatoonBringerOfCorn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:09 am

I wish they would do a standard MIA or MIM California Special, it seems like the perfect kind of Jaguar/Strat hybrid thing, while still being its own beast (rather than a mashup of parts from both). It feels like what could have come next after the Jag. My budget is more MIM than custom shop.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 pm
It's the new Squier. The influence is clear - Ron Thorn had a design called the California Special that he was building on his own. When he joined the Fender Custom Shop, he brought his design with him and it's been released as a Fender-branded Custom Shop California Special (CSCS?).

This is the first time that "second bridge pickup" approach from the CS made its way onto another Fender model. Some other brands have done it but the particular spacing and angle is clearly the one that Ron has been using for years.

It's a pretty cool layout, which offers three bridge pickup tones - the "middle" bridge alone, the two bridge pickups in parallel, and the two bridge pickups in series. Here is one in action with the pickup switch positions explained, though the audio and tones from this one are much better.

Of course, I'd be much happier to see an actual California Special, since it's offset and interesting-looking with a fun miniaturized Jazzmaster/Mustang hybrid vibrato and floating bridge, but I'm sure it was in Ron's contract that he would be the only one allowed to build it at Fender. All the ones I've seen are "master-built Ron Thorn" instruments, which makes sense, since it was his design and this was a way to allow him to build them at Fender without breaking his contract and making a competing instrument independently.

I wonder if Ron had to approve the pickup and knob placement on this strat, or if Fender acquired the rights to his design. The fact that he still works there tells me they probably did this above-board and/or with his involvement. It just can't possibly be a coincidence, and they'd have to be pretty huge assholes to cannibalize the ideas of one of their biggest catches in terms of independent luthiers hired to work in the Custom Shop.
Was just about to say it looks like a Robbie Robertson Strat, can't believe you can get all those features on a Squier these days. Teenage me would've killed for one of these.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:38 am

robroe wrote:
I'm waiting until i see one not photo shopped before I order one because I don't like the paint on the strat at all compared to the jaguar
The early stock pics of the Paranormal Squiers were way off when it came to the finishes, and that may be the same case here. The LPB Toronado in particular almost looked turquoise. Once retailers started getting them and taking actual pictures they looked good. You'd think Fender could do better, but I guess they suck at this.

Axl Sicc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Axl Sicc » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:06 pm

Fender updated the images of the Contemporary Jaguar and now it looks just like the American professional, I dont know but i liked more the previous green tone

ShatoonBringerOfCorn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ShatoonBringerOfCorn » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:20 am

Here is an updated image. Looks completely different.

I think I like it more in the new photos, but still prefer gold.

I like the colour actually, just don't like burst finishes much, a solid metallic finish is my preference.