Curious about cases for offsets...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Curious about cases for offsets...

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Hey -

A couple of questions about cases. What do most of you use for transporting your JMs/Jags around locally (so NO airplane travel required). I like the look of the Mono dual gig bag for carrying a couple around but I can't find any info on whether of not Offsets will fit in there. Anyone know?

Also, what about hard cases? I like the look of the Fender Deluxe molded hardshell, but $200 - :wtf:

Any other suggestions on cases that you all have tried and loved wold be greatly appreciated! Money is not the main concern it is important, but not determinant. Thanks

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curious about cases for offsets...

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Following this. I need a case too. I see GFS cases are much cheaper in price. Thought about that route, but would prefer something I knew for sure had some quality to it.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:33 pm

I have the Fender TSA case (what American Pros come in).
Other than being huge I like it. Deals on it pop up periodically.

I just found the Crossrock CRF1000JM fiberglass case. Anyone try one? I like the backpack straps and reduced bulk.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 pm

I've purchased this one previously:

ChromaCast CC-EHC-KIT-3 Electric Guitar Hard Case
https://www.amazon.com/ChromaCast-CC-EH ... 06E5K90CQ3

It's not the best hardcase ever made, but it certainly gets the job done, and it's hard to argue with a $60 price tag. I've also purchased the Musician's Gear brand Electric Guitar hardcase before when it's popped up on the Stupid Deal of the Day on Musician's Friend. Also not the highest quality... but to me, it's better than a gig bag. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've only seen that deal available in the pre-pandemic era though...

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 pm
Hey -

A couple of questions about cases. What do most of you use for transporting your JMs/Jags around locally (so NO airplane travel required). I like the look of the Mono dual gig bag for carrying a couple around but I can't find any info on whether of not Offsets will fit in there. Anyone know?

Also, what about hard cases? I like the look of the Fender Deluxe molded hardshell, but $200 - :wtf:

Any other suggestions on cases that you all have tried and loved wold be greatly appreciated! Money is not the main concern it is important, but not determinant. Thanks
Your offsets should fit fine in the Mono Dual if you are looking to haul a couple JMs around town. I had a Mono bag for an Alternate Reality XII that fit it just great, and the headstock on that puts it at maybe 3" taller than a JM.

For hardcases, both Gator and SKB make offset-friendly cases in the $100 range if you can find a good deal on the net.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
I like the look of the Mono dual gig bag for carrying a couple around but I can't find any info on whether of not Offsets will fit in there. Anyone know?
They do. Have been carrying a Jaguar and Jazzmaster in one for years.

Hiscox make excellent hard cases and offer the best protection short of a custom flight case (which will weigh 5 times as much).
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm

my fav is the Rockcase jazzmaster hybrid case from Thomann

i hate hardcases, but i also hate tube amps so...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:02 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm
Norrin Radd wrote:
I like the look of the Mono dual gig bag for carrying a couple around but I can't find any info on whether of not Offsets will fit in there. Anyone know?

Hiscox make excellent hard cases and offer the best protection short of a custom flight case (which will weigh 5 times as much).
I’d love a Hiscox but they’re out of stock and aren’t for sale anywhere.

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm
Norrin Radd wrote:
$old! I’m picking up one of these tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Unless you are going on the road and/or flying with a guitar that has to go in the hold, I find the cheapest cases work fine. The only problem is being sure that they will fit something as long as a jag/JM (strat/tele cases don't fit). So unless they guarantee that, you have to check specified internal dimensions very carefully.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:25 am

Resurrecting this thread as a place to post some information so that it's findable for future googlers: I just picked up one of SKB's Jaguar/Jazzmaster hardshell cases (the 1SKB-62) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it fits an astounding number of offsets. It's marketed as a flight case so it feels super secure while still being nice and light. Much nicer than the boxy plywood/cardboard hard cases I've been using to transport my Jag until now. It's pretty pricey at its regular retail price, but if you can find it on special or secondhand (which I did) it's very worth grabbing for its shockingly versatile offset-friendliness, IMO.

It's specifically molded to perfectly fit most Jaguars and Jazzmasters (here's a photo of my Jaguarillo sitting in there very snugly), but after getting it home I found it also fits:
  • Mustang/Cyclone/Duo-Sonic etc: If you position the lower bout into the case first, then slide the rest of the body into place, the padding holds the guitar in place very securely. Photo of my Mustang 90 in the case here. The 24-inch Mustang scale juuuust fits in the cutout for the neck, so anything with a shorter scale length probably won't fit.
  • Musicmaster Bass/Mustang Bass: I was very stoked to find out this fits, as I've had enormous trouble trying to find a case that'll fit my Musicmaster Bass securely. Photo of it in the case here. The headstock juuuuust fits in the case, but the padding around the top of the headstock is pretty soft and flexible, so I feel fine closing the case around it.
  • Toronado, sorta, almost: I can cram my Toronado in there and get the lid closed, but not in a way I feel good about. In this photo you can hopefully see that it's in there, but the neck is slightly tilted off centre (probably more obvious when comparing to the other photos I've linked above). I worry that when the case is closed and locked, the body will stay in the same place but the neck will get coerced sideways into the molded neck channel, which can't be good for the guitar. I gig with my Toronado a lot, so I'm considering cutting out some of the case's padding where the Toronado body doesn't quite fit on both the upper bout (near the pickup switch) and the lower bout (near the knobs) to make it fit better, if I can find a way of doing that that doesn't compromise how well the case holds Jags/Mustangs. I'll update this post if I end up doing that.
    Update: I did slightly modify the case to make a Toronado fit better! I just cut away two small sections of foam with a knife, and now it fits beautifully. I've put some photos and description of the process at the bottom of this Imgur post, if anyone's interested: https://imgur.com/a/utiSrdw
Definitely doesn't fit:
  • Most non-offsets: I don't own any strats or teles to test with, but my SG very hilariously does not fit in there. If you know anything else that does fit, let me know and I'll update this post.
  • Super-Sonic: Okay yes I know that's an offset but it goes in the other direction doesn't it
I'd be curious to know how a Jag-Stang fits, given that Jags and Mustangs both fit so well.

Sorry for hijacking/resurrecting this thread, I just couldn't find this information anywhere while I was researching before buying the case online, so I'm trying to put the information out there somewhere for anyone else who's looking for it.
Last edited by blimpage on Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:09 am

blimpage wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:25 am
Resurrecting this thread as a place to post some information so that it's findable for future googlers: I just picked up one of SKB's Jaguar/Jazzmaster hardshell cases (the 1SKB-62) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it fits an astounding number of offsets. It's marketed as a flight case so it feels super secure while still being nice and light. Much nicer than the boxy plywood/cardboard hard cases I've been using to transport my Jag until now. It's pretty pricey at its regular retail price, but if you can find it on special or secondhand (which I did) it's very worth grabbing for its shockingly versatile offset-friendliness, IMO.

It's specifically molded to perfectly fit most Jaguars and Jazzmasters (here's a photo of my Jaguarillo sitting in there very snugly), but after getting it home I found it also fits:
  • Mustang/Cyclone/Duo-Sonic etc: If you position the lower bout into the case first, then slide the rest of the body into place, the padding holds the guitar in place very securely. Photo of my Mustang 90 in the case here. The 24-inch Mustang scale juuuust fits in the cutout for the neck, so anything with a shorter scale length probably won't fit.
  • Musicmaster Bass/Mustang Bass: I was very stoked to find out this fits, as I've had enormous trouble trying to find a case that'll fit my Musicmaster Bass securely. Photo of it in the case here. The headstock juuuuust fits in the case, but the padding around the top of the headstock is pretty soft and flexible, so I feel fine closing the case around it.
  • Toronado, sorta, almost: I can cram my Toronado in there and get the lid closed, but not in a way I feel good about. In this photo you can hopefully see that it's in there, but the neck is slightly tilted off centre (probably more obvious when comparing to the other photos I've linked above). I worry that when the case is closed and locked, the body will stay in the same place but the neck will get coerced sideways into the molded neck channel, which can't be good for the guitar. I gig with my Toronado a lot, so I'm considering cutting out some of the case's padding where the Toronado body doesn't quite fit on both the upper bout (near the pickup switch) and the lower bout (near the knobs) to make it fit better, if I can find a way of doing that that doesn't compromise how well the case holds Jags/Mustangs. I'll update this post if I end up doing that.
Definitely doesn't fit:
  • Most non-offsets: I don't own any strats or teles to test with, but my SG very hilariously does not fit in there. If you know anything else that does fit, let me know and I'll update this post.
  • Super-Sonic: Okay yes I know that's an offset but it goes in the other direction doesn't it
I'd be curious to know how a Jag-Stang fits, given that Jags and Mustangs both fit so well.

Sorry for hijacking/resurrecting this thread, I just couldn't find this information anywhere while I was researching before buying the case online, so I'm trying to put the information out there somewhere for anyone else who's looking for it.
While I ended up actually coming to the same conclusion as you and ordering the SKB, I wish you had stumbled upon my thread as well with your awesome info. 😂

flying_squad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by flying_squad » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:40 am

Just to echo sentiments above - this information is GOLD. I bit the bullet and bought the 1SKB-62 for my Mustang - it fits! Much prefer the weight and sturdiness Vs. the traditional wood cases.

During my research I also stumbled across Sweetwater's excellent case finder:

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/cases/finder

It's a great resource and lists a few alternatives should the SKB prove hard to source.

SixStringSlinger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SixStringSlinger » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:43 am

blimpage wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:25 am

Definitely doesn't fit:

I got this same case used locally (Craigslist or whatever) for my JM and it’s perfect for it. Just want to add that my Squier XII also fits if I let the tip of the headstock crush the edge foam just a tiny bit.

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.