NGD Incoming: Marauder II Prototype Replica Ice Blue Metallic

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Incoming: Marauder II Prototype Replica Ice Blue Metallic

Post by Sonichris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:52 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm

The one comment I want to make from my deleted post is that mine was made by fellow OSGer Sonichris of Texas Toast Guitars (who posted it here with nicer photos than I've ever taken of it), so maybe shoot him a message if you find yourself looking for someone to build another one in the future. He does great work, and is currently the only "complete Marauder II" builder I'm aware of who is currently active (since Paul Rhoney and DSG stopped making guitars).
It's funny. I've seen a lot more internet interest in Marauder II models since that first batch of 5 or 6 bodies was made. I made 5 bodies and pickguards for various OSG guys, and made one for myself. I can't help but think someone at Fender Custom saw at least some of it. Without OSG, I don't know that Fender would know the Marauder II was a sellable thing. I've made a few more since, and Fender Custom has made some. I still think we here at OSG made the cooler guitars.

It's cool to see finished versions of something I had a hand in - but I did the easy part. Guitar bodies aren't hard to build. Faction made the templates, and the plates. You all did the rest of the hard stuff. Sourcing all the parts, and switches, and etc, etc,etc. and assembled them.

M&M Guitars has every right to sell guitars for what they think they are worth. I've seen several guitars I've had a hand in sell for fAR more than I ever thought why would. The right to price to one, is the wrong price to another. Capitalism, baby. Good for them, and good for the new owners. I hope the guitars find a happy home for a long time.

Texas Toast is currently building a Marauder II, and if you watch some of our videos on youtube, you might catch a glimpse of a Metallic Orange one.

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Here's an instagram post from the last owner:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5WDamnn1j/

Looks like he's moved on to a Bilt which looks super nice too

also: no need to justify spending. I've bought some pretty pricey stuff from mike and mike's and they are some of the best guitars I own.

I never see bearded Mike on their instagram anymore. Did they part ways?

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:44 pm

snarf wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 pm
Here's an instagram post from the last owner:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5WDamnn1j/

Looks like he's moved on to a Bilt which looks super nice too

also: no need to justify spending. I've bought some pretty pricey stuff from mike and mike's and they are some of the best guitars I own.

I never see bearded Mike on their instagram anymore. Did they part ways?
Yeah saw that video! Hard to get a sense of what the guitar actually sounds like from it but it looks like comfortable playability.

Do you mean the red headed Mike? The Jazzmaster expert? I think he moved out of the Portland area. PA I think.

As far as justifying price...I can do that all day, I have a AO Jazzmaster I paid $1,700 for. We all know Fender paid a fraction of that to build it. Do I regret it? It’s the best guitar I’ve ever owned so nope. Yes, that Fender will have resale value but also anyone can find and buy that same model. I wanted something unique with exactly those specs and color. It’s not like you see Marauders that look like that level of quality all the time.

Even if Fender ends up reissuing these at some point you know they won’t do this look. They’ll replace the rocker switches with that lever from the American Pro Jaguar line and that kind of stuff. Or change the contour or body shape a bit like the new XII’s.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:21 pm

Did this super quick but I'm going to work up a proper headstock decal as if Fender actually released these. Probably add the "floating tremolo" text too but something like:

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 am

how are you liking it? I seriously regret not taking a second look at this when it showed up on mike and mikes guitar bar's shop. Now I'm looking at a Bilt :fp:

I hope fender does a vintage reissue or I can find a custom shop for under 4k (yeah right)

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm

snarf wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 am
how are you liking it? I seriously regret not taking a second look at this when it showed up on mike and mikes guitar bar's shop. Now I'm looking at a Bilt :fp:

I hope fender does a vintage reissue or I can find a custom shop for under 4k (yeah right)
Hey there! This guitar far exceeded my expectations. To be honest I was not sure what kind of quality to expect but I took the risk because it was everything I was looking for. It was 100% worth the risk...it’s amazing!

The thing I was most worried about was the “feel”. Would it feel like a parts guitar or like a hand selected build? I’m happy to report it feels every bit as good as my USA American Original Jazzmaster. The tonal possibilities with the switches is just perfect for studio work.

Definitely worth every penny. Playing this I realize just how much of an absolute shame it is that fender doesn’t not have one of these in their regular lineup. It really is unique from all of the other offsets and they should be available for people to create with.

Cob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Cob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm
snarf wrote:

Hey there! This guitar far exceeded my expectations. To be honest I was not sure what kind of quality to expect but I took the risk because it was everything I was looking for. It was 100% worth the risk...it’s amazing!

The thing I was most worried about was the “feel”. Would it feel like a parts guitar or like a hand selected build? I’m happy to report it feels every bit as good as my USA American Original Jazzmaster. The tonal possibilities with the switches is just perfect for studio work.

Definitely worth every penny. Playing this I realize just how much of an absolute shame it is that fender doesn’t not have one of these in their regular lineup. It really is unique from all of the other offsets and they should be available for people to create with.
When and if Fender decides to make one, it will likely be the only big time proper Fender that I ever buy. Until then, I'm going to keep twiddling my thumbs around the idea of throwing together a Marauder or just ponying up for a Bilt.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am

Cob wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:
snarf wrote:

When and if Fender decides to make one, it will likely be the only big time proper Fender that I ever buy. Until then, I'm going to keep twiddling my thumbs around the idea of throwing together a Marauder or just ponying up for a Bilt.
It’s possible Fender could try the model again. The custom shop models seem to be building some hype. You think Fender would want to win back some of the bilT customers since they are clearly popular. The question is if fender does make a production model how faithful will it be? You know they’d change the switching...no way they are producing those rocker switches. The 2000’s Marauder was a far cry from the original, missed opportunity on that one.

My problem with the bilT guitars is that they did change the body shape a bit in a way that I don’t care for (the back of the body has a rounder teardrop shape I can’t unsee even though subtle), also I’m not a fan of the “wavy” headstock. Not a total deal breaker but for that kind of money I want exactly what I want.

If I had missed out on this one I would look into building one. Sonichris from this site built the body on the one I have. It has an allparts Jazzmaster neck (which is excellent) and a Staytrem bridge. The hardest part would be getting the metal plates made, then you just need to source pickups and wiring and the rocker switches. It’s a process but definitely doable.

I can get you the parts list and where they were made from if you’d like?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am
The hardest part would be getting the metal plates made, then you just need to source pickups and wiring and the rocker switches. It’s a process but definitely doable.
The plates are not hard to source. You can get them with either rocker switch cutouts or Jaguar switch cutouts from Faction for $50 a pop. Chris used Faction's templates, so the plates line up, and he can also cut you plates out of pickguard material if desired. He can also rout it for the original Mustang vibrato, or a JM vibrato, since Faction has plates designed for both. Yours is the JM variant. Those are all Faction plates.

The NOS rocker switches are the part that is hard to source, but you can just use Jag switches and call it a day.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:45 am

snarf wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118689&p=1665006#p1665006

daysleeperjeff wrote:
snarf wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118689&p=1665006#p1665006

Idk if you gentlemen have seen this, or care to roll your own, but you can now get necks via Musikraft....
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
snarf wrote:

I figured it was great! I was thinking that mike and mikes wouldn't sell a sub-par instrument especially one that is custom built! ENJOY! 8)

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:45 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118689&p=1665006#p1665006[/b]

Idk if you gentlemen have seen this, or care to roll your own, but you can now get necks via Musikraft....
I care! but I don't have that kind of energy right now. Someone said building guitars is a labor of love and frankly I don't have that much to give after this past year... :'(

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm

snarf wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:45 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118689&p=1665006#p1665006[/b]

I care! but I don't have that kind of energy right now. Someone said building guitars is a labor of love and frankly I don't have that much to give after this past year... :'(
Yeah, if you build it, you gotta keep it. I try to do maybe one build a year. This is going to be my last one for awhile, but I can already dream of a type 1 Marauder..

I do also like that I can sink money into it slowly.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Cob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Cob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am
Cob wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:

It’s possible Fender could try the model again. The custom shop models seem to be building some hype. You think Fender would want to win back some of the bilT customers since they are clearly popular. The question is if fender does make a production model how faithful will it be? You know they’d change the switching...no way they are producing those rocker switches. The 2000’s Marauder was a far cry from the original, missed opportunity on that one.

My problem with the bilT guitars is that they did change the body shape a bit in a way that I don’t care for (the back of the body has a rounder teardrop shape I can’t unsee even though subtle), also I’m not a fan of the “wavy” headstock. Not a total deal breaker but for that kind of money I want exactly what I want.

If I had missed out on this one I would look into building one. Sonichris from this site built the body on the one I have. It has an allparts Jazzmaster neck (which is excellent) and a Staytrem bridge. The hardest part would be getting the metal plates made, then you just need to source pickups and wiring and the rocker switches. It’s a process but definitely doable.

I can get you the parts list and where they were made from if you’d like?
I've taken a look at the Marauders that have put together on here and am massively intrigued. They all look terrific. I'm probably going to hit up Sonichris/Texas Toast at some point before the summer and see if they can get me a quote on a finished body with a swimming pool route. The dream is Candy Apple Red with two Novak WRHB's and a holographic gold foil in the middle.

My only concern with the Faction plates is that they seem to only drill one screw for the roller pots on the upper horn. I would see about getting that addressed -- no way I could live with the switches banging against the top of the plate constantly.

As for the Bilt headstock, I completely agree. While I don't hate the Starcaster headstock, it's not my preference. I would much rather go for a big 70's headstock like on the custom shop models. They look so damn good, but 10 grand good? ehhhhhh