NGD Incoming: Marauder II Prototype Replica Ice Blue Metallic

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Incoming: Marauder II Prototype Replica Ice Blue Metallic

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:38 am
daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:08 am
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 pm
I want to say it was like 1,300 or so when it was for sale here.
Wow, that’s quite the jump! Oh well, I have big plans for this thing...IF I dig it.
Yeah that's Mike and Mike. Their markups are insane. Insane-insane. Not just insane. They're really driving the market up.
It’s tough times for small shops. To a degree I get it...up to a point.

If this feels at least like the quality of my AO Jazzmaster it’ll be a keeper. Probably won’t accept anything less.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:38 am

No offense, I’m glad you got a guitar you want. It looks great.

But, this is a case in point. The original seller values it at $1300. Parts guitars historically have never gained more than what they cost to build. Usually always selling at a loss. Other than uniqueness to each partscaster, nothing endorses the authenticity value that stands behind a “branded” guitar.

We are now seeing a guitar market that obviously thinks otherwise. Will this trend continue or eventually bust?

As the owner of 1 (getting ready to be 2) builds costing at a bit north of 2k, I like the idea of actually getting out what I put into them, but at the same rate, I built these expecting a loss.

After watching the guitar market for about a decade, these are unprecedented times

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:10 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:38 am

But, this is a case in point. The original seller values it at $1300. Parts guitars historically have never gained more than what they cost to build. Usually always selling at a loss. Other than uniqueness to each partscaster, nothing endorses the authenticity value that stands behind a “branded” guitar.

We are now seeing a guitar market that obviously thinks otherwise. Will this trend continue or eventually bust?

As the owner of 1 (getting ready to be 2) builds costing at a bit north of 2k, I like the idea of actually getting out what I put into them, but at the same rate, I built these expecting a loss.

After watching the guitar market for about a decade, these are unprecedented times
Ok but I didn’t buy this with any expectation of loss or gain. The only value that I care about is if it’s worth it to me. If it is great, I’ll have something unique. If not I’ll return it or resell. I don’t care if I lose on it. I’m not hurting for money.

I looked into a bilT guitar. Didn’t want to go that route for several reasons. A Fender custom shop Marauder would definitely be more than I’d want to pay. I don’t build guitars and have no interest in spending my time on a custom build. I’d rather be producing. So all the boxes are checked for me on this one.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:31 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:

There is a certain risk the assembler takes on that the finished product won’t meet expectations or be worth a damn as a guitar, and if it’s a great instrument that’s something the next owner doesn’t need to worry about. That has some value for sure, especially if it’s something unique that takes this level of effort to put together.

Buying guitars on the merits of some pictures on the Internet and specs alone is a thing these days, and while it often works out fine we can also be biased or not completely honest with ourselves.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 am

I think is bad form, to discuss what an item sold for previously on someone's ngd.

No one has to sell anything for what they got it for, most dont, some take a loss, some make a profit. That's the way things go.

This whole "community" thing gets silly sometimes.. I mean we have what, like 17000 users? Are we to believe that as soon as someone signs up, they are part of the community?

Sometimes I sell really cheap, sometimes at market value, sometimes at whatever price I find a person is willing to pay.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:10 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:

Ok but I didn’t buy this with any expectation of loss or gain. The only value that I care about is if it’s worth it to me. If it is great, I’ll have something unique. If not I’ll return it or resell. I don’t care if I lose on it. I’m not hurting for money.

I looked into a bilT guitar. Didn’t want to go that route for several reasons. A Fender custom shop Marauder would definitely be more than I’d want to pay. I don’t build guitars and have no interest in spending my time on a custom build. I’d rather be producing. So all the boxes are checked for me on this one.
Absolutely, I get it. When you want something, you want it. No doubt you got a cool guitar. I’m not saying that it’s worth less than what you paid. There are likely more that would have done the same thing, hence the sellers markup in the first place.

Again, I’ve made/making pricey partsmasters based on my needs. I’m not expecting any financial return so I understand where you’re coming from. What I’m pointing out is that people paying higher prices for partsmasters is a trending theme. Guitars in general going up in price is a theme. A theme that may be good for future parts builders and hobbyists down the road.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 am
What I’m pointing out is that people paying higher prices for partsmasters is a trending theme. Guitars in general going up in price is a theme. A theme that may be good for future parts builders and hobbyists down the road.
This is an interesting point and I am also curious to see if this is durable or just the pandemic bubble. Up until this year pretty much all my guitars were Fender style parts builds (except one a strat I bought as my first "nice" guitar when I got a grown-up job before discovering offsets).

If I ever sell any of these builds, I anticpate taking a bath on the return. The cool thing about partsmasters is that you can get anything you want, even if it's not available from Fender. However, there's usually a good reason why most partsmaster choices don't exist in the Fender line: there's not a big enough market for them, perhaps even just a market of one.

There are those times when a parts guitar represents something that Fender should be doing and if the builder didn't make any crazy aesthetic or sizing options (metalflake american flag, neck too small, etc) the guitar ends up being something that transcends it's parts guitar-ness. Typically these are builds that use hard to find parts and uncommon body routing. In these cases when the guitar is inspiring and it would be a pain to recreate, a premium can be charged.

I think the Marauder II falls into that bucket. In fact, based on the custom shop and the action on this forum, you could argue the Marauder II is having a borderline moment.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:01 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 am
Typically these are builds that use hard to find parts and uncommon body routing. In these cases when the guitar is inspiring and it would be a pain to recreate, a premium can be charged.

I think the Marauder II falls into that bucket. In fact, based on the custom shop and the action on this forum, you could argue the Marauder II is having a borderline moment.
That’s a good point. It’s not that any partcasters are going for that. It’s the ones built both well and unique. I agree with you

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 am
What I’m pointing out is that people paying higher prices for partsmasters is a trending theme. Guitars in general going up in price is a theme. A theme that may be good for future parts builders and hobbyists down the road.
This is an interesting point and I am also curious to see if this is durable or just the pandemic bubble. Up until this year pretty much all my guitars were Fender style parts builds (except one a strat I bought as my first "nice" guitar when I got a grown-up job before discovering offsets).

If I ever sell any of these builds, I anticpate taking a bath on the return. The cool thing about partsmasters is that you can get anything you want, even if it's not available from Fender. However, there's usually a good reason why most partsmaster choices don't exist in the Fender line: there's not a big enough market for them, perhaps even just a market of one.

There are those times when a parts guitar represents something that Fender should be doing and if the builder didn't make any crazy aesthetic or sizing options (metalflake american flag, neck too small, etc) the guitar ends up being something that transcends it's parts guitar-ness. Typically these are builds that use hard to find parts and uncommon body routing. In these cases when the guitar is inspiring and it would be a pain to recreate, a premium can be charged.

Yeah I agree with you. Another reason I got this particular Marauder is because I want to be able to swap pickups, put on my choice of Fender headstock decal, sand the neck, customize the Pickguard...if I feel it needs those things. Do that to a Fender custom shop Marauder or a bilT and it’s no longer stock. I view this as a Marauder shell I can do anything I want with.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 pm
You know what? There were things I started typing out in this thread, about M&M, about value for money, about all sorts of shit. But none of that matters to you, and it doesn't belong in this thread, so I deleted it. I totally understand the feeling of being ready to do anything to obtain a prebuilt Marauder II. I wanted one for years and they've been virtually unobtainable for long stretches of time.

This is an awesome guitar, and you're rightly excited to play it and share it here. I hope you love it, keep it forever, and play all kinds of great music on it.

The one comment I want to make from my deleted post is that mine was made by fellow OSGer Sonichris of Texas Toast Guitars (who posted it here with nicer photos than I've ever taken of it), so maybe shoot him a message if you find yourself looking for someone to build another one in the future. He does great work, and is currently the only "complete Marauder II" builder I'm aware of who is currently active (since Paul Rhoney and DSG stopped making guitars).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zenarcade » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:10 pm
I hope this sounds/plays as good as it looks:

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/listing/mar ... k/38222720

This has pretty much everything I’d want from the Fender Custom shop down to the details. I even like the traditional Jazzmaster headstock better than the Starcaster style.

I’ll report back once I get it in the studio next week.

Didn’t pay that price btw. Knocked a good chunk off & no tax through the website.
WTF..I built/assembled that guitar. That price is crazy.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:34 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:
You know what? There were things I started typing out in this thread, about M&M, about value for money, about all sorts of shit. But none of that matters to you, and it doesn't belong in this thread, so I deleted it. I totally understand the feeling of being ready to do anything to obtain a prebuilt Marauder II. I wanted one for years and they've been virtually unobtainable for long stretches of time.

This is an awesome guitar, and you're rightly excited to play it and share it here. I hope you love it, keep it forever, and play all kinds of great music on it.

The one comment I want to make from my deleted post is that mine was made by fellow OSGer Sonichris of Texas Toast Guitars (who posted it here with nicer photos than I've ever taken of it), so maybe shoot him a message if you find yourself looking for someone to build another one in the future. He does great work, and is currently the only "complete Marauder II" builder I'm aware of who is currently active (since Paul Rhoney and DSG stopped making guitars).
Thanks for this kind message! A few things though. I wouldn’t do “anything” to get one of these. The price was well in my reach...I do ok.

If I was willing to do anything I’d have the Fender Custom Shop build one.

2nd, I think the guy you mentioned made this body. The ad said it was by Texas Toast.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:36 pm

zenarcade wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:

This has pretty much everything I’d want from the Fender Custom shop down to the details. I even like the traditional Jazzmaster headstock better than the Starcaster style.

Didn’t pay that price btw. Knocked a good chunk off & no tax through the website.
Hey that’s on you man. Should have asked more...I would have given you that money.

Nice work btw! Looks awesome.

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zenarcade » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:12 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:34 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:

Thanks for this kind message! A few things though. I wouldn’t do “anything” to get one of these. The price was well in my reach...I do ok.

If I was willing to do anything I’d have the Fender Custom Shop build one.

2nd, I think the guy you mentioned made this body. The ad said it was by Texas Toast.
The body was made by Sonichris btw. I know he is affiliated with them but I never mentioned it was a Texas Toast body when I sold this built here on OSG.

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zenarcade » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:33 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:36 pm
zenarcade wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:

Hey that’s on you man. Should have asked more...I would have given you that money.

Nice work btw! Looks awesome.
Yeah, you are probably right :) it just annoys the hell out of me that these kind of shops drive up the used prices to a ridiculous level.