Halon Hardware and demo

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Halon Hardware and demo

Post by Rockabilly69 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 am

Got my Halon hardware installed, and it feels and sounds pretty good...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/halon-wheels

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Halon Hardware and demo

Post by gishuk » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 am

Really like the look of that bridge. Great playing too

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 am

Looks great. Great chops too.

Is yours rocking or not rocking?

It looks like you went with brass saddles. Any perceived tonal change?

Also does it have the 52mm string spacing like on the Staytrem?

Where/how did you order it?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Yeah for some reason none of this shit is on their website as far as I can tell, like at all. Weird considering it’s a sort of new thing and in a market that has like 1/1,000 the amount of aftermarket options as other popular guitars.

I’ve only ever messed with the Staytrem upgrade as far as tremolos go and it’s not really what you could call a big change considering it’s only adjustment is keeping the arm from moving. But the $200 for a Mastery or Descendant (which honestly, to me, doesn’t really land anyway) is money I’ve not been able to feel good about spending. It’d be cool if something was out there that offered a true difference in feel/features that wasn’t so expensive.

I wish there was more video of this thing! Thanks for recording something for us, OP, but without the visual aspect it’s hard for me to consume. Curious about how you feel when comparing this to a typical AVRI tremolo.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm
Yeah for some reason none of this shit is on their website as far as I can tell, like at all. Weird considering it’s a sort of new thing and in a market that has like 1/1,000 the amount of aftermarket options as other popular guitars.

I’ve only ever messed with the Staytrem upgrade as far as tremolos go and it’s not really what you could call a big change considering it’s only adjustment is keeping the arm from moving. But the $200 for a Mastery or Descendant (which honestly, to me, doesn’t really land anyway) is money I’ve not been able to feel good about spending. It’d be cool if something was out there that offered a true difference in feel/features that wasn’t so expensive.

I wish there was more video of this thing! Thanks for recording something for us, OP, but without the visual aspect it’s hard for me to consume. Curious about how you feel when comparing this to a typical AVRI tremolo.
I can dig what your laying down.

But for me, I’d like to try one based on the fact that I‘d be able to adjust the radius. I have a 10” radius JM that works just fine with a 9.5” bridge, but I like to set my bridges with an exact or slightly flatter radius compared to the neck, for my optimal playability.

Furthermore, I am thinking of doing a PartsMaster with a compound radius, and again, I’d like to set the bridge radius flat enough for optimal set up.

So this thing keeps intriguing me!

Meanwhile it’s like a freakin’ mystery theater to a large extent!

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:

All you need to know about the bridge and trem can be found out through their Facebook page, just message them. They answer back very fast! The offset bridge trem isn't really on the website yet. As for the cost of the hardware, it is what it is. And it is a lot of money! But if you really want to know how the bridge feels compared to the AVRI bridge and trem you have to use them in person . No video is going to help with that. In my experience, the bridge feels way more tight and holds tune better. And it rings clearer. Before I installed the trem, I played the guitar with just the bridge swap, and it felt and sounded great. And setting it up for both radius and height went smooth as silk. The cutouts in the back of the bridge help the break angle, and the offset saddle screws make it great, because some adjustments on my old bridge, when moving the saddle back for intonation, had the string hitting the screw, so I had to cut them shorter. As for the tremolo, I haven't got enough experience with it yet to make a definite call. The arm swings into two positions, which is a cool function, but it still has movement in the collet. On the AVRI I did the hammer trick to make the arm real tight, so before I can make a real comparison, I have to tighten the arm on the Halon (there is a hex screw on the collet). But one thing, If you want a locking trem the Halon is out, they don't do that.

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 am

It's both, rocking or rocking ( have two sets of posts!) Haris from Halon said his preference was non rocking, but they knew many people would want rockers. But he also added that he liked the rocking version just slightly less than the non rocking. The non rocking studs were made @ 7.87mm to fit the thimbles in my Classic Vibe.

The notes were clearer in tone, more sustain, maybe slightly more brightness, without loosing the mids, but it's hard for me to describe tone.
I can say I love the tone. I did my first gig with the hardware today and I got two standing ovations rocking out on it solo through an amp sim on my HX Stomp! It was one of the best electric guitar rhythm sounds I've ever got, and it was on an amp sim, go figure!

52mm

I dealt with them through their Facebook page, where they answered all my questions, and I had them send me an invoice after all my questions were answered acceptably...

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:35 pm

Rockabilly69 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 am

It's both, rocking or rocking ( have two sets of posts!) Haris from Halon said his preference was non rocking, but they knew many people would want rockers. But he also added that he liked the rocking version just slightly less than the non rocking. The non rocking studs were made @ 7.87mm to fit the thimbles in my Classic Vibe.

The notes were clearer in tone, more sustain, maybe slightly more brightness, without loosing the mids, but it's hard for me to describe tone.
I can say I love the tone. I did my first gig with the hardware today and I got two standing ovations rocking out on it solo through an amp sim on my HX Stomp! It was one of the best electric guitar rhythm sounds I've ever got, and it was on an amp sim, go figure!

52mm

I dealt with them through their Facebook page, where they answered all my questions, and I had them send me an invoice after all my questions were answered acceptably...
Awesome man, I’m genuinely happy that it is bringing you Massive Joy!

Thanks for the further details!

I may just have to try one of these bad boys.

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Awesome man, I’m genuinely happy that it is bringing you Massive Joy!

Thanks for the further details!

I may just have to try one of these bad boys.
[/quote]

Thank you!

Well I hope you find a bridge that works for you. It seems like they all have advantages and disadvantages and you've got to go with the one that best suits you. I hope I don't have to swap any more parts :)

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Rockabilly69 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Thank you!

Well I hope you find a bridge that works for you. It seems like they all have advantages and disadvantages and you've got to go with the one that best suits you. I hope I don't have to swap any more parts :)
Thanks!

Yeah the Staytrem and Custom Shop RSD Bridges work great for me, but I wish I had a high quality iteration that allowed me to adjust saddle height for my flatter radius necks...enter the mighty Halon....or I guess Mastery, but I like that you can do rocking, or not, with the Halon.

I just found a FB post of theirs that shows off individual height adjustable saddles that will fit in a stock bridge. I may try that too possibly.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:

this is why I can't take them seriously and won't order from them. a 12 year-old or the average boomer can put together a ssl ecom website that can be easily updated with current info and secure credit card entry, but not these guys. they have been pushing their bridges for over a year- they look the dog's bollocks, but they can't manage to put them on their website? there's just no way in hell, in 2021, that I'm going to email my credit card info, I don't care how nice and trustworthy they may be. FFS, put together a functional ecommerce platform and keep it updated, this isn't rocket surgery.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
this is why I can't take them seriously and won't order from them. a 12 year-old or the average boomer can put together a ssl ecom website that can be easily updated with current info and secure credit card entry, but not these guys. they have been pushing their bridges for over a year- they look the dog's bollocks, but they can't manage to put them on their website? there's just no way in hell, in 2021, that I'm going to email my credit card info, I don't care how nice and trustworthy they may be. FFS, put together a functional ecommerce platform and keep it updated, this isn't rocket surgery.
+2. $15-$30 a month from one of the usual template-based providers.

'Go to their Facebook page' is a hard nope. Sending your CC info over a medium as insecure as email? You might as well print it out on flyers.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:51 am

whoops double post
Last edited by Rockabilly69 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rockabilly69
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rockabilly69 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:00 am

Rockabilly69 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:51 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 am

+2. $15-$30 a month from one of the usual template-based providers.

'Go to their Facebook page' is a hard nope. Sending your CC info over a medium as insecure as email? You might as well print it out on flyers.
I don't get why people are so against going to their Facebook page. All you are doing there is asking questions about his bridges and trems, when it was time for my order, I didn't use my credit card, I had him invoice me through paypal. I think paypal is plenty secure.

The bridge and trem are righteous. Today I tightened hex screw on the trem arm collet to where the arm will swing, but it won't come out. It has no play and that's just what I wanted. I was railing on that thing and it sounded great!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:36 am

No Facebook account and less than zero desire to establish one.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.