Custom shop Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Custom shop Jazzmaster

Post by pocaloc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:02 pm

What do people think of custom shop vs. American Original, etc, with a good setup and upgraded pickups etc.? It seems that a lot of people are happy with custom shop stuff.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom shop Jazzmaster

Post by pscates » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:20 pm

I can't really speak to build quality (although I'd have to assume the Custom Shop model will get a bit more attention and overall focus...isn't that part of the reason why folks would opt for a Custom Shop build, in addition to all the other options you don't get in stock, off-the-shelf models?). There's no doubt you get exactly what you want. You haven't specified what that is, but since you're comparing it to an American Original, I assume you're looking more at the traditional/classic end of things.

So to get that type of Jazzmaster, but in a color/finish (and all other things the Custom Shop can provide) exactly like you want, should count for a lot. If you've got the money.

And, for the money spent, I would hope "a lot of people are happy with Custom Shop stuff". Because I'd sure hate to drop $4,000+ on some middling, "eh..." guitar with just a bitchin' paintjob going for it.

Are you asking about overall built quality/fit-and-finish between the two lines? Assuming you pay full price for an American Original, and even if you lose your mind and go sink an additional $1,000 into it for whammer-jammer "boutique" pickups, custom wiring, the requisite Spitfire pickguard everyone here is going to scream at you to get, possibly a Mastery bridge or whatever else, etc. you're still going to come in quite a bit less than a Custom Shop model. You just won't have as much say so in the finish and other specs/features.

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:40 pm

I was mainly proposing the question just to see in general what people thought of custom shop stuff. I would think it better be pretty special for that kind of money. I myself am pretty easygoing on the specs I would want. I like the idea of picking the finish and general look of the guitar. I find it hard to spend that kind of money on looks alone. I’m just pondering and threw the question out. Thanks for responding. :)

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm

I have two custom shop guitars. One is a masterbuilt Telemaster that I got for a massive discount and one is a team build JM that was also a bit discounted. Both were "inventory" purchases from Reverb and not custom spec'd (which is why I could negotiate on the price).

Comparing to AO JMs, I can see no appreciable improvement in quality. The main difference I've seen is that the lacquer the custom shop uses is very brittle and checks super easily. Those two guitars are the only ones in my music room that have checked naturally from being in that environment. The lacquer on the AO hasn't checked. I even have a "closet clean" MJT finish on a guitar and that hasn't checked. This could be a feature to some people, but I try really, really hard to *not* relic my guitars. My 2 year-old has more relic'ing than my JMs. :)

The reason I purchased these guitars is that they are "real" Fenders that have interesting colors and spec choices. I would never buy a custom shop over a US made Fender for just quality reasons. I'm interested to hear others opinions on their experiences here. Perhaps I'm an outlier.

Also, more custom shop offsets can be seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=117102

Telemaster:

JM:
Last edited by smjenkins on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:28 pm

In all these years I've never heard outright bad things about them. Supposed to be solid stuff.

I'd love to have Ron Thorn build one of those California Specials of his, in some cool color.

That's the thing with me...I don't think I'd ever consider the Custom Shop for a standard model (Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster, the basses, etc.). But the idea of some truly unique design - body shape, that cool tremolo, the pickup layout plus the finish options - is what I think about when I think "custom shop". I think that's a beautiful guitar (and he's made a bass counterpart as well).

Be sure to Google it if you're not familiar with the model!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm

I am happy with my Masterbuilt FCS Jaguar because I got to spec out exactly what I wanted, and it has exceeded my expectations.

Now, what were my expectations?

Well, I wanted a cool looking B&B Sherwood green Jaguar with a flamed-out neck. Nothing too crazy.

What exceeded my expectations was how much better it started to sound after a few years, and how much better it felt once it was broken in.

But so what? That can be true with any guitar.

A person could make a parts Jag just like mine for probably 2-3 thousand less than what I paid for mine, but then the whole brand resale value can help.

If you are the type than can afford and appreciate a FCS guitar than it could be fun. If the prices and the whole idea of them really gets your goat it’s best to avoid them aside from arguing with people on the internet and hopping onto your soapbox.

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:05 pm

I think I’m the type who could really appreciate one.

I guess I’ll use the car analogy. You can’t get much better than a Honda Accord functionally. It also looks great and has everything you need out of a car. You can push upscale in all sorts of ways from the Accord and at that point it’s about feeding what you want rather than what you need (not that any of this is a need) :) .

carter
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by carter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

I think the correct comparison of a custom shop is not to an American original but a custom parts guitar. Other than painting (and potentially relic’ it, if you are into that), I’m not sure what a “master builder” of bolt on guitars can do that you can’t do on your own.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:05 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm
JM:
Whoa.

There's an aesthetic combination that, if you described it, would have me nodding politely and trying to change the subject.

But damn - it looks fucking killer!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 pm

I've tried many Custom Shop Jazzmasters (when you're white bald guy of a certain age you can more or less play anything you want at a guitar store). All were well made, but I definitely liked some more than others for sound, playability, or aesthetic reasons. They are different and therefore hard to generalize about other than they are well put together.

A lot of people here will push the "just build one" idea, and there is something to that, but it is a project with everything that goes with that whether you are doing most of the work yourself or farming it out. It won't hold value like a CS guitar, but that really isn't the point.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 pm

Custom Shop allows the opportunity to have a Guitar built totally to your specifications.. The more you know the more completely unique it can be... A true one of a kind Guitar.. If you really know your stuff it can be better than anything off the shelf...

Also, The more you know the less the Custom Shop can get away with regard to iffy QC.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 pm

CS is a mug's game unless you're going masterbuilt, at least in terms of price:performance.

BUT

As mentioned, if you really wanna maximize value, you get an MIM, upgrade a couple of parts, and get a really good setup done. If you wanna maximize customizability, you just build it yourself and do exactly what you want. What going CS run or teambuilt gets you is a bit of insurance (i.e. if you need to sell, you'll get a lot more of your money back vs. an upgraded MIM) and options that you're really not going to find in a standard production model (like vintage radius, WRHBs, and B&B with a matching headstock). What going CS masterbuilt gets you -- especially if it's a Ron Thorn build, his stuff is awesome -- is the opportunity to get stuff like custom hardware or pickups, very unique aesthetics, the peace of mind that you can trust the builder if you're not sure about something, and a bunch of other perks like that.

They're really incredible guitars, but to be honest, pretty much anything over $1500 these days is too. It's not the most efficient way to get something amazing that's exactly to your specs, but it's probably up there with the most hassle-free ones.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 pm

My first experience with CS was a Telecaster, when I was 26 years old, or so. I had a Highway 1 tele at that time. They were worlds apart. And sound is only one aspect, mind you. Weight, balance, feeling with the finish of the neck are things you can barely change once you get a guitar. Couldn't afford it at that time.

Fast forward 12 years, I bought a team built Jazzmaster CS from an online retailer. It had 20% discount. With an RSD bridge, and everything else is traditional except for the 9.5" radius (which I prefer). Going retailer was the only option for me. Having CS do something to spec for someone in the EU must cost a fortune more than for anyone else in the US when adding VAT, import/customs and shipping.

I have an AVRI Jag that, overtime, I have heavily customised - it's a great guitar but the finish is not as nice as the CS, it weighs a ton more than my JM and the final price including the upgrades (and a tech that implements them) was probably equal to, if not more than, the fully stock CS I bought. As it's discussed in another thread, if I ever wanted to sell the modified Jag, I will probably have to revert all mods first and sell all the upgrades separately to maximise profit - a huge PITA, to be honest.

Among the members of this forum there is a ton of super gifted craftsmen who can do pretty much anything the tech at Fender can do. I wish I was that good! I think modding might be as equally effective proven that you love the starting point (pieces of wood that feel good in your hands) I think it all comes down on your ability / willingness to put in the time to work on your guitars and the possibility that you may want to resell it in the future.

I am not sure when/if I'll buy another guitar in the future, with a baby coming, but I pretty keep an eye on second-hand CS models - value for money to me is higher than any new US-made model, assuming of course you like the specs.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 am

I had a quote recently for within the past 6 months Chicago special CS JM. I wanted a red on red sparkle with b&b neck. They quoted me $5700 dollars for it. I had enough cash to pull the trigger but right around that time I experienced a career change that would require me to purchase a car with better fuel economy.

Fast forward to now, I’m working on a partsmaster build using very high quality parts. In the end, the guitar parts used will be higher quality as a whole compared to what the CS would have offered. Instead of paying $5700, I’m paying less than half of that for something more to my spec, custom wiring, ultra lightweight, better tort, better bridge, still has a fender neck so I keep the decal. Would I still love to get a CS? Sure. I’m not knocking them, but for me this made more sense. It’s ultimately if you will enjoy the guitar. Resale value will likely take a hit on a CS, but most that buy them don’t care about that.

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:07 am

Get a top level production Jazzmaster from Fender and a G&L Custom Shop Doheny for the same money as one FCS guitar. Or less, you ought to be able to get those two for < $4000. $5700 from the custom shop at Fender seems insane in comparison.

I don't know, there are a lot of options for what a FCS guitar costs. Make sure you know exactly what you want and that there's no other way to get it.

Personally I wouldn't do custom shop from either company just for cosmetic options or relic options. I'm just too open minded about colors and finishes and too close minded about relic wear.

It would have to be something odd mechanical or electrical that I couldn't get any other way.

My guitar teacher has a FCS Telecaster that he got used. It is definitely better put together than a production one. But 99% of what is better is something you can get a good tech to do for 1/10th what Fender upcharges for going to the custom shop.

E.x. the FCS Tele he has came with a flawlessly cut nut, that's by far the most noticeable thing out of box compared to a normal MIA guitar. Most MIA Fenders have great fretwork just like the custom shop guitar. That's not worth $1000, and certainly not worth $2000-3000. I've never seen a production Fender with a perfectly cut nut but the cost to get that done after the fact is cheap if you can't do it yourself.