Alternatives to a Jazzmaster?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Alternatives to a Jazzmaster?

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:36 am

G&L Doheny
G&L ASAT Special (the jumbo mfds are close to a Jazzmaster in tone, but very different as well.)
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 am

Isn't the first version of the Relevator LS listed on this page essentially a Marauder? I don't know much about Marauders so maybe it just kinda looks like one to me but it's not the same version of the Relevator another poster had a pic of in this thread.

https://biltguitars.com/product/relevator-ls/

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:41 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:36 am
G&L Doheny
G&L ASAT Special (the jumbo mfds are close to a Jazzmaster in tone, but very different as well.)
Seconded. Great guitars.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 am

i can also strongly recommend a Doheny. I own the Tribute Version and it's overall an awesome Guitar, especially the MFD-Pickups.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Y'all are killin' me ova here!

I love all of the suggestions!...damn I want one of everything mentioned pretty much!

I did forget to say that on the topic of the Doheny, I already have one, a USA model made from empress wood, and it is a super great guitar, I way dig it.

So many awesome ideas and suggestions though...I think the most compelling idea right now for me, based on what gap I'd need to fill sonically, is to get some sort of thin line Jazzblaster style, with the WDRH's...or maybe with some sort of gold foils.

On the other side of the spectrum doing a hardtail Junior of some type would be awesome too.

For the thin line idea, I keep coming back to the Bilts..I went to their site and built out a guitar, and by the time I added all of my options including a sparkle paint job, binding, blocks etc, it was like $4700! :wtf: :wacko: ...so I'll have to go back and calm down a bit with my choices..but yeah Bilt is still high on my list.

What also totally blew me away though was that Texas Toast Marauder...yowza!

I also came to the realization that I have to unload some other guitars if I want to make this a worthy endeavor..

But if you have other ideas keep them coming..
Last edited by RocknRollShakeUp on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:30 pm

tune_link wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 am
Isn't the first version of the Relevator LS listed on this page essentially a Marauder? I don't know much about Marauders so maybe it just kinda looks like one to me but it's not the same version of the Relevator another poster had a pic of in this thread.

https://biltguitars.com/product/relevator-ls/
yeah true...especially when they use that more Marauder looking trem plate!

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Texas Toast Marauder...yowza!
I can't recommend Texas Toast highly enough. I've owned 2 so far, and am dreaming up another project.

Their XII's are Top Edge of the Top Notch.

You won't be disappointed- and you should come in well under the pricetag on the BiLts, even with all your fancy dreams coming true.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Texas Toast Marauder...yowza!
I can't recommend Texas Toast highly enough. I've owned 2 so far, and am dreaming up another project.

Their XII's are Top Edge of the Top Notch.

You won't be disappointed- and you should come in well under the pricetag on the BiLts, even with all your fancy dreams coming true.
Great to know ! Do they make a thin line version per chance? I have to say that I like that they use JM necks complete with the unbeatable, for me, JM headstock.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm

I think they can do whatever tickles your fancy. They build it from the ground up, so yeah. Just about anything.

My personal request to him was something like:

"Make me an Electric XII, Oxblood Metallic with matching headstock, Maple neck with Ebony or dark rosewood board, Blocks & binding to vintage Fender spec, Curtis Novak pickups, Tort guard, extra MOP guard, Missile Launcher in the headstock, 50cal machine gun in the lower bout activated by a secret 5th position on the pickup selector."

And they DID IT. Thing plays like my wildest imaginings, and sounds like the Heavenly Host.

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:

I love all of the suggestions!...damn I want one of everything mentioned pretty much!

I did forget to say that on the topic of the Doheny, I already have one, a USA model made from empress wood, and it is a super great guitar, I way dig it.

So many awesome ideas and suggestions though...I think the most compelling idea right now for me, based on what gap I'd need to fill sonically, is to get some sort of thin line Jazzblaster style, with the WDRH's...or maybe with some sort of gold foils.

On the other side of the spectrum doing a hardtail Junior of some type would be awesome too.

For the thin line idea, I keep coming back to the Bilts..I went to their site and built out a guitar, and by the time I added all of my options including a sparkle paint job, binding, blocks etc, it was like $4700! :wtf: :wacko: ...so I'll have to go back and calm down a bit with my choices..but yeah Bilt is still high on my list.

I also came to the realization that I have to unload some other guitars if I want to make this a worthy endeavor..

With BilTs the options start to add up quickly. If you are willing to compromise with no sparkle paint and blocks and bindings the price drops quite a lot.. I love my Curtis Novak GTX gold foils in my Bilt. They have humbucker level output, but still retain some single coil vibe and snap in there and Lollar gold foils also sound amazing. I've never owned a guitar with Lollar gold foils (only played few at store) so can't compare directly though.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm
I think they can do whatever tickles your fancy. They build it from the ground up, so yeah. Just about anything.

"Make me an Electric XII, Oxblood Metallic with matching headstock, Maple neck with Ebony or dark rosewood board, Blocks & binding to vintage Fender spec, Curtis Novak pickups, Tort guard, extra MOP guard, Missile Launcher in the headstock, 50cal machine gun in the lower bout activated by a secret 5th position on the pickup selector."

And they DID IT. Thing plays like my wildest imaginings, and sounds like the Heavenly Host.
Far out! And can I please please see pictures of this beast?

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 am

Kihtaristi wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:

With BilTs the options start to add up quickly. If you are willing to compromise with no sparkle paint and blocks and bindings the price drops quite a lot.. I love my Curtis Novak GTX gold foils in my Bilt. They have humbucker level output, but still retain some single coil vibe and snap in there and Lollar gold foils also sound amazing. I've never owned a guitar with Lollar gold foils (only played few at store) so can't compare directly though.
Yeah I think the sparkle paint will have to go sadly :P ...I may try to retain the blocks and binding...depends on how many guitars and pedals I can unload :fp: :)
I shall check out the Curtis Novak GTX gold foils...I like what you are describing. The complicated wiring would probably preclude such a thing, but it would be cool to be able to switch out loaded pick guards.
Love your Bilt and Novo btw! What color is your Bilt, lavender? Did you specify it as a custom color, or did they have it listed?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 am
SignoftheDragon wrote:

Here's the "big reveal" thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117431&hilit=mystery I've changed it up to more closely match the TVL color scheme now (cream knobs, switch lever, and pu covers) but I don't have any current pics handy. Time for a photo session, eh?

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:08 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 am
Kihtaristi wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:

Yeah I think the sparkle paint will have to go sadly :P ...I may try to retain the blocks and binding...depends on how many guitars and pedals I can unload :fp: :)
I shall check out the Curtis Novak GTX gold foils...I like what you are describing. The complicated wiring would probably preclude such a thing, but it would be cool to be able to switch out loaded pick guards.
Love your Bilt and Novo btw! What color is your Bilt, lavender? Did you specify it as a custom color, or did they have it listed?
Thanks!

I like the looks of binding and blocks, but with both Novo and Bilt I wouldn't pay for them cause the prices are already quite high and the upcharges start to add quickly. I also live in Finland and we have crazy customs and taxes which add 27,2% on top of guitar+shipping :k My Bilt is second hand so it is specced by someone else, but the colour is purple metallic and is upcharge of 250 and it also has high gloss poly finish with +250 upcharge that affects how it looks. I like this guitar a lot but I personally would change the pickguard to pearloid or 3-ply white (nicer tort would also be option). Not big fan of this "tomato soup" tort guard, but I can live with it. After getting this BilT last autumn I've toyed with Bilt builder couple times, but the prices always start to climb too high when I start to add options. Maybe some day!

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 am
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 am
SignoftheDragon wrote:

Here's the "big reveal" thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117431&hilit=mystery I've changed it up to more closely match the TVL color scheme now (cream knobs, switch lever, and pu covers) but I don't have any current pics handy. Time for a photo session, eh?
Stunning! You did reaaaal well! OK When I'm ready, Texas Toast is very high on the contender list! Thanks for sharing.