Hey! Long time no speak *NGD!* BMM Content

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hey! Long time no speak *NGD!* BMM Content

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:00 am

Hey everyone. It's been a while.

Took a break from all my usual haunts for the last couple of years while I concentrated on getting my life together and re-training in a new job. Finally I'm back to a comfortable position and *actually* have some spare time and money again.

I promised myself no new guitars and to try to enjoy what I actually have rather than constantly living with the desire of new toys. For a while, my GAS was completely cured. But, it came back. Probably in significant part thanks to OSG'r GaryPtaszek constantly sharing pictures of beautiful offsets to me via instagram hahah

So, this afternoon I treated myself to this:

And when DHL arrive tomorrow I may have a rather large smile on my face. Interested to see what that RSD bridge is like. Strong chance I'll swap out a Mastery for it and try and sell it on.

Current plans for it are simple. I have some White witch hats to pop on and I MIGHT try out a mint/parchment guard. Not sure yet until I see the tort in person.

Anyway, hope you're all well
Last edited by JSett on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hey! Long time no speak (incoming NGD)

Post by tune_link » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:39 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:00 am
Hey everyone. It's been a while.

Took a break from all my usual haunts for the last couple of years while I concentrated on getting my life together and re-training in a new job. Finally I'm back to a comfortable position and *actually* have some spare time and money again.

I promised myself no new guitars and to try to enjoy what I actually have rather than constantly living with the desire of new toys. For a while, my GAS was completely cured. But, it came back. Probably in significant part thanks to OSG'r GaryPtaszek constantly sharing pictures of beautiful offsets to me via instagram hahah

So, this afternoon I treated myself to this:

And when DHL arrive tomorrow I may have a rather large smile on my face. Interested to see what that RSD bridge is like. Strong chance I'll swap out a Mastery for it and try and sell it on.

Anyway, hope you're all well
YOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations! I had this on my Reverb watch list ever since it went up. No way I could afford it but I love that thing and just liked seeing the pics of it every day. Absolutely drool worthy instrument!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:39 am
YOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations! I had this on my Reverb watch list ever since it went up. No way I could afford it but I love that thing and just liked seeing the pics of it every day. Absolutely drool worthy instrument!
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have spent quite so much but the last 12 months have been a rollercoaster (for everyone I know) and I needed a little pick me up so stretched the budget a little.

I will report back when it lands.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:59 am

Welcome back man! And you've chosen to return in style. What a sweet-looking guitar!
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

If you dig the Mastery I think you'll enjoy that bridge. The few comparisons I've read/heard suggest they both have a pretty similar impact on the sound, both being non-rocking, low friction bridges. That, and I think the RSD-J bridges are handmade for the guitars, so that's cool.
Last edited by Veitchy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Nice. I have definitely admired that very guitar.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:41 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm
If you dig the Mastery I think you'll enjoy that bridge. The few comparisons I've read/heard suggest they both have a pretty similar impact on the sound, both being non-rocking, low friction bridges. That, and I think the RSD-J bridges are handmade for the guitars, so that's cool.
Indeed, I've heard they have a similar feel. I'll probably pull a mastery off one of the others to test it out and see what I prefer. There definitely is the temptation to flip it and recoup some of my money though as I've only seen one of these bridges on reverb and it sold for nearly $500 :o

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:08 am

Ah man that's fantastic! Is it the one from CODA? I saw that go up on insta the other day and it's the first time in a while I've seen a CS jazzmaster that spoke to me.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:27 am

Wow, love everything about that guitar! If it were me I’d leave the tort, that combo looks great!

I mean, if the tort pattern isn’t great in person I’d do a spitfire for this...it’s such a great looking guitar that it deserves it!

Gives us some feedback once you get some time with it!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:08 am

PERFECTION
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 am

bubba899 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:08 am
Ah man that's fantastic! Is it the one from CODA? I saw that go up on insta the other day and it's the first time in a while I've seen a CS jazzmaster that spoke to me.
Yeah, it's the Coda one. Apparently it's the second time it's been in there - I guess the previous owner needed some quick money. I probably could have got it a touch cheaper privately but they're not particularly common.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:27 am
Wow, love everything about that guitar! If it were me I’d leave the tort, that combo looks great!

I mean, if the tort pattern isn’t great in person I’d do a spitfire for this...it’s such a great looking guitar that it deserves it!

Gives us some feedback once you get some time with it!
I'm normally a tort-on-everything guy and a nice authentic Spitfire might be on the cards for sure!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hey! Long time no speak *NGD!* BMM Content

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 am

Well, thanks to the wonders of DHL Express, this landed this afternoon...

With the rest of the gang...

Initial impressions are: Unplugged it's VERY resonant and lighter than my others. Feels great in the hand and, despite the medium jumbo frets (I'm used to vintage size), actually seems familiar and easy to play. Nice fast neck. Plugged in it's very spanky. I'm not sure if that's because it's actually been years since I've had a JM with a classic bridge pickup and not a WRHB or down to the RSD bridge.

RSD bridge? VERY comfortable under the hand. Zero string movement and stays in tune just fine despite gratuitous vibrato action. I will swap in a Mastery to see what that does to the tone and feel and then make a decision as to whether or not it stays.

Overall... very pleased and definitely worth the 3k I laid down for it. It's a distinct jump up from AVRI to CS in quality that I wasn't expecting to be so noticeable. Whether or not it's 'double/triple the price' better? I'm not sure.

Anyway. Happy days ;D

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Man that is a pretty one, congrats and enjoy!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun May 02, 2021 1:34 pm

BlueMelody wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm
Man that is a pretty one, congrats and enjoy!
Thanks! I'm definitely smitten. The tort is a little ugly in the flesh so I'm going to grab a Lavaguard for it

Popped on some witch hats I've had in stock for a LONG time (from that NOS batch sold on here many, many years ago) and, they were still pretty white. Two hours in some crazy strong Yorkshire Tea and they came out nearly a bang-on match for the stock plastics! Just a subtle difference in the yellow tones but acceptable enough even for the pickiest of eyes.