Jaguar advice for newbie

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Steveker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar advice for newbie

Post by Steveker » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:26 am

So, this is my first post here...hi everyone! I have always fancied an offset guitar...at heart I'm 50% americana/alt country/outlaw/classic country and 50% alt rock/indie/grungy. I love dinosaur jr., pavement, etc. Jaguars just look cool. I like the shiny bits.

Anyway, I have a strat (with a humbucker in the bridge) and a gretsch country club but I am moving closer and closer to convincing myself I need a jag.

First question I guess is does it cover different enough ground from what I got already? And I know it can do the alternative thing but could it make an anyway passable country sound or should I just get a tele? Some of the old country stuff I like sounds a little surf so might there be hope?

Secondly I haven't any experience playing jags and my options at the minute are (in no order):

1) squire classic vibe 60s
2) squire classic vibe 70s
3) fender vintera 60s
4) fender vintera 60s mod hh

For the squires I can't see much difference....maybe I'm being dumb...haven't had a chance to play them in person...not sure I will. The 70s has block inlays which I like but the 60s has a matching headstock which looks sweet.

Are the fenders worth more than double the price? And I've heard some people rave about the coil split feature on the 60s mod, others not so much. My thought was it would help cover more rocky and twangy sounds with one guitar???

Anyway, I'd appreciate the input of those with more experience than me. Is there anything else I should be looking at, sub £1000?

Thanks

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar advice for newbie

Post by soul1 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:04 am

Honestly, I think a Squier with a good setup is as good as a MIM Jaguar, and a good setup is a requirement for those, since they're pretty much unplayable from the factory. The Vintera HH might be a little more versatile since it has the humbuckers, but you won't really get the classic Jaguar sound, if that's what you're after.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there's no such thing as a Squier CV 60s Jaguar model, especially with a matching headstock.
Last edited by soul1 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steveker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Steveker » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. From what I have heard online I like the sound of the single coils.

The 60s squire I was referring to is here
https://www.andertons.co.uk/all-jaguar- ... -headstock

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 pm

I think you might be thinking of the Squier Contemporary HH model... Oh, clearly not then!

Out of all of those, I'd go for a Vintera single coil - it'll sound and play like a Jaguar, and it should be good to go right out of the box. As stated above, the Squier Jags can arrive in a bit of a state. I think it depends on what kind of checks the seller carries out before they ship though. If you can, try them both and see.

muffonrat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by muffonrat » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Steveker wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Thanks for the advice. From what I have heard online I like the sound of the single coils.

Man, sick looking jaguar!

To the post subject, if you don't know exactly what features you want on the jag( fretboard radius, neck dimensions, pick up configuration, type of bridge etc) I would strongly suggest to try to play as many models you can find in your area within your price range.
The Squier VM/CV models are great bang for the buck imo.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 pm

I'd make sure you like playing a 24" scale guitar. It's going to be a little spongier than your strat and you might end up liking one gauge up on your strings... as the strings will have a little less tension. My hands look a little bit closer to the size of Jimmy Page's when they are on a 24" scale... if that's a gauge of anything. You could use it to get single coil bridge sounds you don't get from that strat. I think a Jag would be a great guitar for the styles you are into.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Steveker wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Love that pink! I'd watch out for tall frets though. The Warmoth neck I got with narrow tall frets (6105 wire) would go way off pitch whenever I squeezed a chord with even the slightest force. For the styles you play I think I'd look for shorter frets that you can play more aggressively in tune on. That being said you may like them. It's definitely something to pay attention to that doesn't get talked about enough.

Wire type descriptions from this page below.

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/di ... -explained

6230: The smallest fret wire found on older Fender necks (.078″ x .043″).
6150: Vintage jumbo. Much wider but not as tall as 6230 (.102″ x .042″).
6105: Modern narrow and tall; currently very popular (.090″ x .055″).
6100: Jumbo. The largest fret wire available (.110″ x .055″).
6130: Medium jumbo (.106″ x .036″).

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:08 pm

They don't come up often, but if you can find a Fender Classic Series '60s Jaguar they're ace. I played one and it seemed the equal to an American AV 65, which are more-or-less as good as vintage. My favourite mid price jag I've ever tried.

Otherwise a second hand 90s Japanese jag is a good option.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:36 pm

FrankRay wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:08 pm
They don't come up often, but if you can find a Fender Classic Series '60s Jaguar they're ace. I played one and it seemed the equal to an American AV 65, which are more-or-less as good as vintage. My favourite mid price jag I've ever tried.

Otherwise a second hand 90s Japanese jag is a good option.
There’s a second hand lake placid blue one I’ve got reserved in a shop near where I am, missed a fiesta red one on eBay the other day, but agreed, great guitar if you can get one. Same with the Jazzmaster of the series, still kick myself I never got one when I had the chance.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm

I'll say that offsets can definitely cover the more traditional half of your tones there -- Chris Stapleton (one of maybe a half-dozen country guitarists I can really dig) plays a JM a bunch and sounds killer. The Jag is a bit different, but IMO it's a pretty safe bet to say that if a JM can do a thing, a Jag can too, but it'll sound a bit different. I'll +1 the recommendation above to try one in person for a while, because while I and many others thing 24" scale is a super great feel and tone, I know a few folks who just can't do the shorter scale length at all.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:36 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm
I'll say that offsets can definitely cover the more traditional half of your tones there -- Chris Stapleton (one of maybe a half-dozen country guitarists I can really dig) plays a JM a bunch and sounds killer. The Jag is a bit different, but IMO it's a pretty safe bet to say that if a JM can do a thing, a Jag can too, but it'll sound a bit different. I'll +1 the recommendation above to try one in person for a while, because while I and many others thing 24" scale is a super great feel and tone, I know a few folks who just can't do the shorter scale length at all.
And to cover more aggressive tones you can look for Fender American Professional Jaguar (or modify one for it's switching). I have the antique olive one below. It has a 4 position switch that puts the pickups in series for a humbucker like tone. It has tall frets too, but this one doesn't go out of tune as much as the Warmoth does... Looks like I probably have to file the nut slots lower on the Warmoth neck. The neck is a little chunky on this one, but it's grown on me.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

mattymatt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mattymatt » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:48 am

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread, seemed like a better place than starting a whole new thread. I've been itching to play a Jaguar since I got my Jazzmaster. I like the idea of less string tension and a different tone. I've got fairly large hands, so are there any other Jaguar reissues that have a larger or fuller neck profile? The only one I'm aware of is the Johnny Marr signature.

Edit - I recently missed out on a Johnny Marr Jaguar and was wondering if I should set my sights else where

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 am

The new Fender Japan Trad 60s Jags have a pretty substantial neck on them - lovely guitars too.

mattymatt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mattymatt » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 am

timiscott wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 am
The new Fender Japan Trad 60s Jags have a pretty substantial neck on them - lovely guitars too.
Awesome, I will take a look. Thanks!