A Mustang Pawnshop

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A Mustang Pawnshop

Post by Embenny » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:09 pm

That's so hot.

I have literally no idea why they keep cranking out Mustangs with Strat hardtails when the Toronado bridge is in current production and works so well visually (including the obvious nod to vintage Duo-Sonic II/Musicmaster II bridges).

I have a Bullet Mustang and have been contemplating trying to make a Toronado bridge work, but I don't think the string-through ferrules line up, so it would need to be a much bigger job to retrofit than I can justify on an inexpensive guitar.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mattador
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mattador » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 am

Those new bridges are a massive upgrade. I get they where trying to go for the mismatched look with these, but that's gonna be hard to un-see!

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:28 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:09 pm
That's so hot.

I have literally no idea why they keep cranking out Mustangs with Strat hardtails when the Toronado bridge is in current production and works so well visually (including the obvious nod to vintage Duo-Sonic II/Musicmaster II bridges).

I have a Bullet Mustang and have been contemplating trying to make a Toronado bridge work, but I don't think the string-through ferrules line up, so it would need to be a much bigger job to retrofit than I can justify on an inexpensive guitar.
I did it to mine. I ordered a mustang guard from warmoth only routed for pickups. So no sliders. Then I drilled a hole where the toggle goes myself. It fits the toronado bridge plate perfect.

Then you drill 3 holes in the back of the plate for the tele saddles and use the 6 holes already in it that were for the strat saddles for the strings.

papadafoe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by papadafoe » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am

I had one when they first came out. I liked it a LOT! Traded it for a Strat because I wanted a term bar. Shoulda’ kept the Mustang…
Fender Jaguar Man
https://papadafoe.com

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:46 am

Had to dig up a pic. This was mine after some mods. I wanted to try some Lace pickups at the time and had a Cyclone that was already modded like an old Strat Plus except the pickups so I put sensors in both of them. This one got Duallys which really made use of the sliders. The neck was Emerald/Purple and the Bridge was Silver/Red. Really fun. I liked the neck Emerald single a lot. Also went with the black guard and Toronado bridge. I really like the look of the original guard and pickups but didn't love the sound of the original pickups. It was a fun guitar as I said in my earlier post.

scheissami
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scheissami » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I managed to snag one of these today at my local shop.

Does anyone know of a hardshell case (Fender or otherwise) that will properly fit this smaller-bodied Mustang? I was hoping it would be close enough to my Jaguar but it's quite a bit shorter...

Cheers!