Have Prices on VM Squier Bass VIs Shot Up?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Have Prices on VM Squier Bass VIs Shot Up?

Post by blacktiger » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm

Or are people just asking stupid amounts? I was looking on Reverb and saw CV VIs in the range I would expect, around $450 to $500, but the VM VIs were more like $750 all the way up to $1200. Are they actually selling for anywhere near that much, or are these sellers living in a dream world?
Thread killer

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Have Prices on VM Squier Bass VIs Shot Up?

Post by gutter rock » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:55 pm

If that is the case people are real morons. I’ve had both models and the CV is a better instrument than the VM hands down. Only thing the VM has is rosewood fretboard. A little conditioning of the CV fretboard and it looks great.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:34 am

Djentlemen have switched to the bass vi after driving the prices of the Squier Baritone Jazzmaster into the stratosphere. Idiots.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:34 am
Djentlemen have switched to the bass vi after driving the prices of the Squier Baritone Jazzmaster into the stratosphere. Idiots.
Don't knock them, they have as valid a use for them as anyone else.

Knock Fender for not keeping up a decent supply (and lineup) of a model that pretty much nobody else makes -- Ibanez had their SRC6 but that's been discontinued, Gretsch has their baritone Jet model, and Eastwood has a few that look weird and don't feel great.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am

Hmm, may have to think about swapping for a profit...
- Mitch

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am

Okay I just listed mine for $800 so we'll see what happens.
- Mitch

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:54 am

yeah it's the djent/blackgaze kids that shot them up in value. i mean fair enough, to quote finn mckenty "you go to a djent show and there's probably more stem majors in that audience than anywhere else" so i guess they can afford it. i also don't think the pandemic has helped, nor did loathe getting most their major attention in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUGmeWqbCY

tbh, as someone who loves baritone guitars, i gotta say it reminds me of 12 or so years ago where if you wanted one, you had to pay out the nose for one.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 am

gutter rock wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:55 pm
If that is the case people are real morons. I’ve had both models and the CV is a better instrument than the VM hands down. Only thing the VM has is rosewood fretboard. A little conditioning of the CV fretboard and it looks great.
Yeah I agree.
I just got my CV and the quality is really good.

I adjusted the truss and it’s playing well. Haven’t even shimmed, adjusted action, or tweaked the bridge posts yet.
It’s staying in tune. Bridge is only making a very slight buzz if the low e is hit HARD.

The laurel is nice, darker and denser than I was expecting, oil really made it beautiful. The neck even has a bit of flame on the maple.

Really impressed with the CV considering the price.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:37 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:

Knock Fender for not keeping up a decent supply (and lineup) of a model that pretty much nobody else makes -- Ibanez had their SRC6 but that's been discontinued, Gretsch has their baritone Jet model, and Eastwood has a few that look weird and don't feel great.
I’m on a few Bass VI and baritone groups on Facebook. They may have valid uses, but these guys are idiots. There is so much pointless dick-measuring, anything less than a 30” scale is deemed insufficient- they’re so obsessed with layering gain over gain, running through 18k ohm resistance pickups for their tuneless, rhythmically challenged riffs, that at the end of the day, it’s all about posturing. They could be playing down-tuned Duo Sonics and it wouldn’t make a difference in the tone. I mean I like blast beats and sick riffs as much as the next guy, but these kids are fools, fixated on the wrong things.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:37 am

I’m on a few Bass VI and baritone groups on Facebook. They may have valid uses, but these guys are idiots. There is so much pointless dick-measuring, anything less than a 30” scale is deemed insufficient- they’re so obsessed with layering gain over gain, running through 18k ohm resistance pickups for their tuneless, rhythmically challenged riffs, that at the end of the day, it’s all about posturing. They could be playing down-tuned Duo Sonics and it wouldn’t make a difference in the tone. I mean I like blast beats and sick riffs as much as the next guy, but these kids are fools, fixated on the wrong things.
i've tried explaining to some of these kids that higher output pickups basically just lower the point in which your amp goes into distortion and your guitar signal is only going to get so distorted before it just starts amplifying noise. they don't get it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:53 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:

Bit harsh. The metal zone has been around since the 80s.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
This sounds a little "old man yells at cloud."

You used to be with it. Then, they changed what it was. Now, what you're with isn't it, and what's it is strange and scary to you. Kids have been fixated on "the wrong things" according to their elders pretty much forever.

I'm not with it on this front, either, but it sounds like they're playing music and having fun, so good for them. It doesn't matter whether they're playing spaghetti western, Cream, the Cure, or Djent on their Bass VIs. We're all just Bass VI appreciators together.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:59 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:
This sounds a little "old man yells at cloud."

You used to be with it. Then, they changed what it was. Now, what you're with isn't it, and what's it is strange and scary to you. Kids have been fixated on "the wrong things" according to their elders pretty much forever.

I'm not with it on this front, either, but it sounds like they're playing music and having fun, so good for them. It doesn't matter whether they're playing spaghetti western, Cream, the Cure, or Djent on their Bass VIs. We're all just Bass VI appreciators together.
This is, unfortunately, bang on the money. I'm sure there were plenty of 60's 'cats' looking on in horror as we gathered-up, molested and wrangled grunge and punk out of their beloved Jazzmasters and Jaguars in the 90's and said similar things about us
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:35 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:59 am
This is, unfortunately, bang on the money. I'm sure there were plenty of 60's 'cats' looking on in horror as we gathered-up, molested and wrangled grunge and punk out of their beloved Jazzmasters and Jaguars in the 90's and said similar things about us
And I didn't mean to sound like I was slamming Lost In Autumn personally. I'm a Millennial, myself, but there are already kids playing descendents of math-rock and metal that sound weird and unappealing to me, which actually makes me really happy, because it means guitar-driven genres are evolving instead of dying out.

Even in the acoustic world, it seems like the majority of young solo "fingerstyle" guitarists are tapping a lot, which sounds boring and homogenous to me. Hooray! They're annoying someone older than them, so they're doing something right.

I've always had some tastes that ran older than I actually was, so I haven't had a hard time grappling with not being on the cutting edge of the youth scene anymore, but it's truly a great thing that kids are continuing to play the guitar and figure out new things to do with it.

Even if those darn kids are buying up our Bass VIs and putting high output pickups in them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:42 pm

Guy tried to low-ball me at $585. Still a profit even after replacing it with the Classic Vibe, but I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping/etc for less than three bills total profit. I countered him at $700. If he comes back at $650 I'll accept.
- Mitch