Newbie with Am Pro II Jazzmaster bridge question

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
L-Boz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Newbie with Am Pro II Jazzmaster bridge question

Post by L-Boz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm

Greetings. My first post and my first Jazzmaster (American Professional II) arrived today. I have browsed your informative site in the past and now thank you for having me as a member.

My new JM came with no documentation except directions to tighten set screw for the trem, and even though I have played for 50 years, I am ignorant about this bridge. It needs lowering - but how? I can't even find anything on the Fender site about it. It appears to have a height adjustment screw on each end of the bridge, but I can't even tell if they are allens, phillips or flat. Also - is that plastic in the body around the bridge posts are or just pickguard protector over metal? I didn't want to start taking things apart quite yet.

Help a guitar geezer out please.

Thanks in advance.

smora
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Newbie with Am Pro II Jazzmaster bridge question

Post by smora » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:54 pm

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Yeah, very small hex key for height adjustment of the bridge.

I believe the Am Pros have nylon bushings in the bridge thimbles to limit the rocking motion of the bridge, or perhaps to enourage the bridge to return to centre after vibrato use. Whatever the reason, those bushings are meant to be there on this model.

L-Boz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by L-Boz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Thanks. I was envisioning a larger hex key for sure. That did the trick!

Interesting about the nylon bushings - I read what I could find on this version and didn't see anything about it. I like the Jazzmaster quirks and series that I'm beginning to become aware of.

Again I appreciate the Info and look forward to checking out the discussions often.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:19 am

Post a pic or at least tell us which colour you got! :D

ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ek11sx » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am

You can take those nylon bushings out if you want. I think they are counterintuitive to the core function of the floating bridge design

L-Boz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by L-Boz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses. I adjusted the bridge to where it feels comfortable, and that leads me to another question. What is the optimal height of strings at the bridge? I did lower the bridge considerably and was wondering if my break angle is sufficient since I have the option to put a bit more tilt on the neck, raise the bridge and increase the break angle.

About the bridge nylon bushings, I may want to try it without them at some point.

I was going to post a photo of it, but don't have one with a link. No way to just insert it?

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 pm

L-Boz wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:46 am
What is the optimal height of strings at the bridge? I did lower the bridge considerably and was wondering if my break angle is sufficient since I have the option to put a bit more tilt on the neck, raise the bridge and increase the break angle.
Ideal height at the bridge is subjective to me. Id say if the strings aren't popping off with a firm strum and you're happy with the action on the neck than I reckon you're fine. Interesting that you had to lower it so much, but then again setup can vary quite a bit on new guitars.

If you feel its playing as you like it, then I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. Get a feel for the instrument and tweak it later if you feel like.

L-Boz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by L-Boz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm

Good advice, Veitchy. It's time to enjoy the toy!