Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gear minimalism as a thought process...

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 am
Do you minimalists also live in minimalist small dwellings? And, do you drive those tiny Cars? Just curious.
I thought you'd gone from this thread forever. Unfortunately it appears I was wrong.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:03 pm

I haven’t owned a car since 2012.

But now I’ve accidentally increased to 4 electrics & 2 acoustics in my 1 bed flat. Oops.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 pm

Time to buy a car to use as guitar storage

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:10 pm

gishuk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 pm
Does it count as minimalism if it’s only 1 car?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:23 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:10 pm
gishuk wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 pm
Does it count as minimalism if it’s only 1 car?

enricosonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enricosonic » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:11 pm

I’ve only skimmed the first couple and last couple of pages of this thread btw. I do have a job and family. 🙂 But sorry if my post is like many others

I think it’s right to thin the herd whenever you feel it is. It’s also okay (unless you’re maxing out your credit cards) to have a couple dozen, maybe more. Do not tell me Strat, Tele, LP cover it. No fucking way. Not just talking offsets here but also who doesn’t want thinline hollow bodies, fat jazz boxes, 12 strings, Gretsch and Rickenbacker, vintage Guilds, Burns, etc. and all the other iconic shit I’m leaving out? I got outta control too awhile back but have long since settled on 7-8 electrics, 3 acoustics, a bass and a mandolin.

If it gets into hoarding territory yes, take a look in the mirror. I know one bizarre dude on another forum who amassed well over 200 guitars. Some of them were nice pieces, but most were old crappy knock offs or Teisco-like cheapies. The sheer number of guitars was one thing, but this guy didn’t even know how to play. He freely admitted it. He’d show these depressing creepy shots of one giant ugly ‘70s couch after another, littered with propped up guitars.

I hope that can make at least one person feel better about their collection.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 am

JSett wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
Larsongs wrote:
Do you minimalists also live in minimalist small dwellings? And, do you drive those tiny Cars? Just curious.
I thought you'd gone from this thread forever. Unfortunately it appears I was wrong.
Sorry to ruin your day..

I grew up dirt poor.. I had to go to work when I was 11 if I wanted any money.. I wasn’t able to afford a Guitar until I was 18.. It was a cheap copy Acoustic of a Gibson Dove.. I played for quite a while as I still couldn’t afford an Electric Guitar, let alone an Amp.. No Mommy & Daddy buying them for me…

I busted my Ass to make a Living… I started to do well. I got a good Acoustic.. A Martin D-35.. Wow! What a difference it was compared to my cheap Copy..

Then when I could afford it I traded a few bags of Weed for a Used 1959 Gibson ES345 from a friend.. The best Guitar I’ve ever played! Then I bought some cheap used Silvertone Tube Amp which actually sounded good…

Those 2 Guitars were/are magical Music making Instruments.. They were/are beautiful hand crafted Works of Art.. That I can play! I appreciated them..

As I started playing in Bands different genres sometimes required different sounds.. When I was able I bought a USA Fender 40th Anniv. Strat & a Marshall Amp.. So different but enabled me to play the music we were playing..

It has evolved since then.. All my Guitars are Tools that happen to be Works of Art.. I do have a few cheapies that I use for Noodling around, Jam Sessions & for others to play…

I started out as a minimalist… I am impressed with Guys that do it all with one Guitar.. But, I’m not that good…

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:32 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 am
I am impressed with Guys that do it all with one Guitar.. But, I’m not that good…
To me it’s not about being “good.”

It’s about a philosophy/approach to the instrument.

Some people have “a voice” that they use for every situation. They’ll either avoid scenarios where that doesn’t naturally fit, or use their imagination to make it work somehow.

But some great players have a more-diffuse, “electron cloud” voice…. a less-literal singular identity that comes out even as superficial aspects of the sound change. They might do a bit more to choose sounds that add to specific situations by selecting different tools, techniques or approaches.

And that latter group isn’t always about choosing the obvious “fit.” Sometimes it’s about a subversion of expectations… using the Ric 12 string where nobody else would’ve ever thought to use it, etc.

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:44 am

Of course the situation becomes worse if you play bass - but have a love of guitars too - then you end up with a selection of bass guitars - AND a selection of guitars - and then of course you need a few twelve strings, and then a few vintage VOX guitars - but wait what about amps -bass amps and guitars amps of course - plus you need that boutique 5 watt amp as the VOX Ac 30 is too loud and then pedals - don't start me on pedals.

I say you can never have enough - it's whatever makes you happy so long as you can afford it and have the space to store them!

dropthebeat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dropthebeat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:13 am

I Also Take A Maximalist Approach To Capital Letters.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:19 pm

dropthebeat wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:13 am
I Also Take A Maximalist Approach To Capital Letters.
Heh :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

doctor_capleson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by doctor_capleson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 pm

I think we are in similar boats. I am partially a victim of circumstance at the moment (financial limitation) but I've had jobs that allowed basically unlimited pursuit of gear.

I figure, what do I "need" to have vis a vis guitar and pedals.

Re: Guitars: I have a JM, and a backup, a Tele, and a backup, then a baritone and a bass. I figure in any band, I'd either be playing a Tele or a JM, and each have a backup with variations: I have a JM with WRHB and vintage spec one, and a Tele Deluxe and Tele. While they're not identical, I can get "close enough" with the backups that I feel okay about them, and then there is some variety for playing at home for fun or home recording. Bass and baritone are for fun or home recording. No need for stage backups on those.

Pedals: I'm at a point where new the differences between new stuff and what I have is really nuanced. If I can't convincingly explain the difference in capability to my partner and why I "need" it (whether or not it's affordable) then I don't get it. The last new thing I bought was a Boss RE-2, and that was a combo "because it's cool / my birthday" kind of thing.

Amps: I offloaded all but three of my amps a few years ago, and while it hurt at the time I don't miss any of them. What I kept was: Yamaha THR10 for use at the apt, Mesa Mk. IVA because it's cool and I like it, and a Quilter Tone Block 200 because I used it for fly gigs and now it's just my amp. Between these three and their appropriate situation, there isn't anything that other amps or new models do that I don't already have. I LOVE my Mk IV, but honestly it's just too easy to have a preamp pedal and use the Quilter. The setup is lightweight, portable, and pretty consistent across speaker cabs and I can just go direct into board if I ever need to.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 am

Larsongs wrote:
Are you up to date with the price of housing these days?

Getting any home, however small as it may be, is a fucking feat these days..

Tiny cars are cheaper on gas, too. Not everyone one needs a massive truck.

Im not a minimalist by any means when it comes to guitars, but i think the comparison you are making is pretty dumb.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 am

I don't own a car and I live in a small apartment that's totally rammed with stuff...it looks like a flea market/thrift store. Definitely maximalist decor.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:50 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 am
Larsongs wrote:
Are you up to date with the price of housing these days?

Getting any home, however small as it may be, is a fucking feat these days..

Tiny cars are cheaper on gas, too. Not everyone one needs a massive truck.

Im not a minimalist by any means when it comes to guitars, but i think the comparison you are making is pretty dumb.
I started working in Construction in High School.. Several years ago my Wice & I started working in Real Estate. We have owned our own Real Estate Brokerage for several years…. In Southern California.. Yes, I’m somewhat up to date on Real Estate…

I really like my Chevy Silverado Pickup.. Great for hauling Gear to Gigs.. And it’s very comfortable….

It was a serious question.. Many people prefer to live in small dwellings… Many people prefer to drive small Cars.. Regardless of Income.. It’s not a dumb question… I’m just curious about people’s motivations for Gear Minimalism because, I don’t get it. Maybe I can learn something…

What is dumb are those whose minds are so closed they can’t except anyone else who may not follow their lead, their choices & anything else they deem as the right & only lifestyle choices…