New here: Need help to decide between two offset custom guitars (rebel relic)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New here: Need help to decide between two offset custom guitars (rebel relic)

Post by tendingtropic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:56 am

Its not that I don't want fender, but i can feel/see that that this guitar was made by hand with a lot of love, and most fender guitars are factory made. just a different feel, and ofcourse, unique.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New here: Need help to decide between two offset custom guitars (rebel relic)

Post by Larsongs » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:45 pm

Well, that’s a good reason.

I do like the idea of a Semi Hollow Thinline JM or Jag body.. Lighter & looks great..

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 pm

This video covers how adding a shim to an offset guitar improves the performance dramatically

https://youtu.be/dhgcZN01wx8

It's all to do with the original design requiring downward pressure on the original bridge to function properly. The Mastery bridge negates the need for so much downward pressure but it does still benefit from it, hence the buzzstop fitted to this guitar.

tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tendingtropic » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 am

Thanks everyone,

here you can see the (vertical) breaking angle from the bridge to the buzz stop:

I am curious to see how the guitar will perform in terms of sound & tuning stability when taking the buzz stop/downbar off and shimming the neck.
is this expected to improve sustain too? or more the way around?

Also, I noticed that apart from the breaking angle, there is also a slight horizontal inward angle of the outer (E) strings from the point where the strings exit the saddle of the bridge to the place where it anchors into the tremolo system. See attached pic/link. Is this normal? is it a problem?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 am

I like almost everything about that Guitar.. I’m not much for modding, but, I’m sorry.. That Tremelo would have to go! That thing looks like some kind of medical apparatus…….. I’m sorry..

tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tendingtropic » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am

what tremolo would you suggest?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am

tendingtropic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am
Either a mastery trem, or a standard American JM trem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:34 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am
tendingtropic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am
Either a mastery trem, or a standard American JM trem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That would be my choice as well…. Either would look & function fantastic…

tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tendingtropic » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 am

So the buzz stop is gone! Think they raised the bridge a bit too.
I think its an improvement.

However, i feel the action is a bit too high especially near the neck pickup.
Also there is some buzz coming from the first 2 frets when I pick the low E string (open) hard.

See pics, the break angle also doesnt seem great.

is this a problem? would it help to change the tremolo to e.g. a descendant tremolo system?

picture 1

picture 2: break angle

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:54 pm

If the action is too high for your liking at the neck pocket and the bridge is as low as you want or can take it, then you're likely looking at a neck shim.

Is the break angle at the bridge a problem? That depends on whether you like the sounds you're getting from it or not. Personally, I like a low angle jangle. If you don't like what you hear, raise the bridge. That'll exacerbate your dissatisfaction with the action and require a steeper neck shim to get it down further.

Buzzing on one string on the first two frets may improve with a bridge raise on the bass side, but of course the action will lift further. A neck shim could help too. Both of those tweaks, though, will give miniscule differences that far down the neck, but who knows, it may just be enough. It may be that the offending frets are uneven beneath that string and need a little tap down or a light file. Try laying something flat and heavy across them and the third fret wire to check for rocking. If there's rocking, there's some work to be done there. Alternatively, a new nut cut with a shallower groove for the offending string could help. If it's really annoying you in the meanwhile, a heavier gauge string may lift a little further out of the groove depending on how it's been cut.

Without the guitar in hand, though, it's hard to say which of these things will work best.

tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tendingtropic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:09 am

thanks for the tips!

going to a luthier tomorrow for the neck shim, and to discuss if changing the tremolo system to e.g. a descendant trem might also further improve the tone

tendingtropic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tendingtropic » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 pm

So, the neck is shimmed, and the dg trem swapped for a descendant tremolo system. What a difference! Awesome guitar now!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:08 pm

tendingtropic wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 pm
So, the neck is shimmed, and the dg trem swapped for a descendant tremolo system. What a difference! Awesome guitar now!
So pleased to hear that you're happy with the guitar now :) I've never been able to try a Descendant trem but they look the part.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:07 am

tendingtropic wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 pm
Awesome - glad the shim worked out for you!