Testing the Definition of Insanity - NGD Redux - Squier 40th AV Vntge. Edt. JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Squier 40th Anniversary Vintage Edition Jazzmaster

Post by DeathJag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:59 pm

What a bummer Steve! Dang it! After such a long wait - wtf?!!

This is almost worthy of the "End Of The Republic" thread because in my opinion, it's related. Companies and employees just not giving a shit about customers.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:34 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:59 pm

This is almost worthy of the "End Of The Republic" thread because in my opinion, it's related. Companies and employees just not giving a shit about customers.
I hardly think a messed up Squier signals the end. It's just a messed up Squier. There are lots of messed up Squiers. There are lots of messed up guitars. Our job is to find the good ones.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Sonichris wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:34 pm
DeathJag wrote:

I hardly think a messed up Squier signals the end. It's just a messed up Squier. There are lots of messed up Squiers. There are lots of messed up guitars. Our job is to find the good ones.
You missed the point; it wasn't just about Squiers.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:13 am

DeathJag wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:01 pm
Sonichris wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:34 pm
DeathJag wrote:

You missed the point; it wasn't just about Squiers.
I didn't miss anything.
Last edited by Sonichris on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManFromMars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ManFromMars » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:17 am

FWIW the two satin 40th anniversary JM's I've played were great (loved the necks). They still needed a proper setup but weren't as wonky as the photos here.

The glossy 40th Ann. JMs on the other hand...played three and they were all duds.

QC on Squiers (factory and retailer) varies wildly.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:31 am

DeathJag wrote:

Thanks, Daniel! :)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:10 am

You can always just grab a set of new pickup covers too just to be safe…..

They look like regular white ones?

The 10$ might be well worth it for piece of mind

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:34 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:10 am
You can always just grab a set of new pickup covers too just to be safe…..

They look like regular white ones?

The 10$ might be well worth it for piece of mind
Those pickups have the covers epoxied on and really can't be removed. You have to do a swap of the entire pickup. I know this from my 'burst Squier JM.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:28 pm

Saw one of these in store the other day. The neck pocket situation is a huge bummer. What on earth were they thinking?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:37 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:28 pm
Saw one of these in store the other day. The neck pocket situation is a huge bummer. What on earth were they thinking?
People in the internet complained for ages that a Jazzmaster is "unplayable without a shim" (yes, I'm looking at you, TGP!) - I guess they decided to do something about it and went slightly too far?

:fp: :D

LeamanCrews
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by LeamanCrews » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am

Any word from CME? Are they going to take it back? I wouldn't worry about the pickup screws, as that was another part wrong with your guitar. It's just another reason to return it.

I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but from the Sweetwater photos and YouTube videos I've seen, the neck pocket issue is not there on other examples. Pickup and bridge heights look very normal in those photos and videos. It looks like you simply got a dud and there's no reason they shouldn't exchange it, at a minimum.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:18 pm

LeamanCrews wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am
Any word from CME? Are they going to take it back? I wouldn't worry about the pickup screws, as that was another part wrong with your guitar. It's just another reason to return it.

I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but from the Sweetwater photos and YouTube videos I've seen, the neck pocket issue is not there on other examples. Pickup and bridge heights look very normal in those photos and videos. It looks like you simply got a dud and there's no reason they shouldn't exchange it, at a minimum.
Heard back from CME and they offered me the option of getting a replacement or a refund. CME CS guy said:
While we do have some more of these available for an exchange, I do want to be transparent that, since these Squiers are machined and assembly-line built, it is likely that the neck pocket and heel of the neck may be almost identical on any replacement that we send out.
Because of this, I've decided to go ahead and return it for a refund. They already sent me a UPS shipping label. I'll ship it out on Monday. I don't want to prolong this experience by risking another dud (or more). I've got a couple of spiffy guitars coming in the near future and the refund will help cover those costs.

Still, a bit of a bummer as I love the desert sand finish and I quite liked the neck. On the plus side, I'll just make a similar build of my own some day with a Musikraft neck with my preferred specs. So in the end, it all works out. 8)

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:55 am

Yeah man I’m with you. I’m building my own until I see things spec’d to exactly what I want as a fender.

After the neck I got on my “late 50s” JM I’m pretty much done with squires. It had a big gap in between the maple and the laurel on the heel end. How it made it out of the factory like that is beyond my comprehension.
It doesn’t effect playability at all, but still, I don’t see that as fine and dandy to ship and sell….

I bought it used via Craigslist and my own fault not inspecting it closer, but the fact they shipped it out like that is crazy.

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:07 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:55 am
Yeah man I’m with you. I’m building my own until I see things spec’d to exactly what I want as a fender.

After the neck I got on my “late 50s” JM I’m pretty much done with squires. It had a big gap in between the maple and the laurel on the heel end. How it made it out of the factory like that is beyond my comprehension.
It doesn’t effect playability at all, but still, I don’t see that as fine and dandy to ship and sell….

I bought it used via Craigslist and my own fault not inspecting it closer, but the fact they shipped it out like that is crazy.
I have suspected for a few years now that they're working really hard to nail the finishes on these Squiers because they are meant to look good in photos, not to be played.

The whole thing seems to be based on the assumption that consumers of "Classic Vibe" and other "vintage"-style instruments are not particularly discerning about build quality, and will pay whatever, which is probably true. It's stunning how awful the post-2019 Classic Vibe guitars are compared to the Contemporary Series ones, at the same or higher prices and from the same factory floors.

OP's email from CME is funny though. They seem to be under the impression that the necks and heels and such are carved out by CNC, which is absolutely not how those machines work. These things are still almost completely hand-shaped after the outlines are roughed out by CNC. My CV Jazzmaster seems to have had the fretboard shaped by someone suffering from severe tremors.

The Vinteras are expensive, but at least they seem to be made with a measure of pride and care and aren't just for display.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 am

Welp, all packed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's input - much appreciated! 8)