Best cheap backup Jazzmaster with a good size neck profile? *that's not a Mascis Squire*

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Doc Sportello
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best cheap backup Jazzmaster with a good size neck profile?

Post by Doc Sportello » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:53 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:38 pm
dave19er wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 pm
Doc Sportello wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 pm

I had one of the CL Fender Jags from the first run with rosewood, great guitar but sold it during the pandemic since prices were high and I'd bought one of those FSR shell pink Squier Jags on a whim. Turned out they sound and play almost identically so the CL was collecting dust. Perhaps not lacquer but otherwise 95% similar, with the AV65's being wax potted but sound wise, there was very little difference through a 65PR and a 68 Custom Vibrolux.
That’s cool that the Squier was that close. I’ve played a few, and been quite impressed (other than the dry fretboard and poor fretwork)
Dry Fretboard, poor Fretwork, cheap Electronics & Pots, sub par Asian Pickups & pretty lousy overall QC… Yeah, they’re almost identical.. LOL!
Speak for your own limited experience, I've owned plenty. The MIM Classic Lacquers are fine guitars but not perfect. Close to American Fender quality but not the same.
The recent Squier jags and the MIM were very close in terms of sound and quality. Played a couple to compare. QC might be a bit more shaky with lower end guitars but Squier's quality (and pickups) have improved dramatically over the last 15 years. Seeing how the OP is looking for an affordable alternative, Squier might be the ticket. Would still recommend comparing a couple in shop if possible to make sure the things potential shortcomings mentioned are not an issue.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best cheap backup Jazzmaster with a good size neck profile?

Post by Larsongs » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:47 pm

Doc Sportello wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:53 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:38 pm
dave19er wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 pm

That’s cool that the Squier was that close. I’ve played a few, and been quite impressed (other than the dry fretboard and poor fretwork)
Dry Fretboard, poor Fretwork, cheap Electronics & Pots, sub par Asian Pickups & pretty lousy overall QC… Yeah, they’re almost identical.. LOL!
Speak for your own limited experience, I've owned plenty. The MIM Classic Lacquers are fine guitars but not perfect. Close to American Fender quality but not the same.
The recent Squier jags and the MIM were very close in terms of sound and quality. Played a couple to compare. QC might be a bit more shaky with lower end guitars but Squier's quality (and pickups) have improved dramatically over the last 15 years. Seeing how the OP is looking for an affordable alternative, Squier might be the ticket. Would still recommend comparing a couple in shop if possible to make sure the things potential shortcomings mentioned are not an issue.
I am speaking from experience having owned the Offshore Squiers, MIM’s & USA.. I played lots of them & have owned a few Squiers.. I liked the Pickups but the rest of those Guitars needs to be completely rebuilt.. A waste of money IMO. With the exception of one.. I do own a JMJM which did require a marathon Setup but is a pretty good Guitar..

I tried almost every MIM & my impressions were mixed.. The Lacquer 60’s were the best of the MIM’s IMO.. I would have no problem owning a Jag & a JM.. I only passed on them because of color.. Which in retrospect I shouldn’t have.. After all it’s really about the quality of the Guitar.. Color is secondary & has nothing to do with playability or sound…

I do own an AV65 Jag & an AV65 JM.. IMO they are as close as you can get to vintage..

Viper8
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Best cheap backup Jazzmaster with a good size neck profile? *that's not a Mascis Squire*

Post by Viper8 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:16 pm

Well i just got my first JM offset and since i prefer a two point Strat type (more stable) trem... I picked up the cheap Squier Affinity in LP Blue.

I would never use it onstage as a pro, but as a fun, home player or maybe an emergency backup -- it could be a cost effective solution.

If i were going to use it more seriously i'd take out the relatively hot ceramic P-90 type in JM form (about 11-12 dBres) in the bridge & replace it with a real Fender with Alnico magnets that is more vintage.

It is a blast to play, is well made, has a powder coat-like finish for durability & if u turn the vol knob up past 4... U get automatic Big Muff type fuzz. Keep it on 3 if u want clarity and definition ... just crank up your amp.

Viper8
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Best cheap backup Jazzmaster with a good size neck profile? *that's not a Mascis Squire*

Post by Viper8 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:27 pm

Oh by the way it did receive a proper set up , and when i got it home i did soak the indian laurel fretboard with lem oil and let it soak in overnight. Fret ends were nicely done for a $250 guitar and it stays in tune ok.

Also the 9 1/2" C neck profile with the usual Strat feel makes it familiar & accomodates various hand sizes.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:37 pm

Apparently it’s this.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:16 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:37 pm
Apparently it’s this.
:D

Typical OSG story arc.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:42 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:16 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:37 pm
Apparently it’s this.
:D

Typical OSG story arc.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?