What's the current noise regards noiseless? Pg5 Jag & JM review

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Hey, you, sssshhhhh!

Kinman
57%
Brandonwound
4%
Lindy Fralin
13%
Other
26%

Total votes: 23

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: What's the current noise regards noiseless?

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:34 pm
Also, when you order them, be sure to specify you want blank pickup covers. They don't fit standard covers and you probably don't want the Kinman logo. Mine came with the logo (used), and it really irks me. I'll order a new set of covers whenever I order another set of pickups, but I'm definitely not paying for shipping from the Phillippines just to eliminate a logo.
I'm glad you brought this to my attention because I was hoping I could use the covers I already have. I looked through their FAQs and it sounds like maybe now they have made it possible to use standard Fender covers, but I'm not totally sure. I didn't realize the covers were integral to the design of the pickup.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:18 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm

I'm glad you brought this to my attention because I was hoping I could use the covers I already have. I looked through their FAQs and it sounds like maybe now they have made it possible to use standard Fender covers, but I'm not totally sure. I didn't realize the covers were integral to the design of the pickup.
Yeah, just buy covers from Kinman.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:18 pm
Telliot wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm

Yeah, just buy covers from Kinman.
:unsure:

As much as I like from what I've heard of their pickups, I dislike their covers to the same degree...

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:34 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:03 am

What were your thoughts on the Brandonwounds? They are right in the pocket of the $ I was looking to spend and sound relatively accurate on the online demos I could find
I'd love to tell you that I liked them, but I found them to be kind of harsh and uninspiring. Frankly they reminded me of a less noise version of the MIJ Jazzmasters that the guitar started with.

That wasn't terrible, but it was a very limited sound. I wish I could say otherwise.
That's how I'd describe my experience with the Brandonwound WRHB. Not... good.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 pm

As much as I like from what I've heard of their pickups, I dislike their covers to the same degree...
You can pay more for covers with no logo on them, it's $3 extra.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm

From what I gathered from reading their FAQ's etc was that normal covers only wont fit if you have them at the non-standard narrow string spacing.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm
From what I gathered from reading their FAQ's etc was that normal covers only wont fit if you have them at the non-standard narrow string spacing.
I would very much recommend just using their covers. You don't want to deal with any problems, not costing what these cost.

they mention that some covers can be too narrow and can damage the wind. Save yourself some grief.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:08 pm

Tbh, I already ordered and didn't even see/notice to ask for no logo. Their ordering system is fucking hard work and I'll be damned if I'm asking for any changes :D I'm sure some acetone will take that logo right off
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:08 pm
Tbh, I already ordered and didn't even see/notice to ask for no logo. Their ordering system is fucking hard work and I'll be damned if I'm asking for any changes :D I'm sure some acetone will take that logo right off
I guess I was hoping the website might be better after the changes they made.

Go ahead and send a message, though, the website is bullshit but you'll reach Joe, who will do a good job for you. I've changed my order before.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Larry. I've sent Joe a message to confirm. Since my JM is a '66, I don't want to change the look of it in any way; I'm hoping this can be a stealth pickup that isn't obviously swapped out for a modern one.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:38 pm

I don't even have noise problems and I want a set of Fatmasters! But I'd love to hear a surf guitarists review, and the big question - can they drip?!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm

Correct, they make pickups to order so you've got time to tell them you want the plain cover and to pay the $5 or whatever upcharge.

And yeah, you can order them with standard string spacing, but in the case of the pair I own, the bridge and neck have different string spacing. Ideal from a design perspective, non-ideal when you want to find new covers.

Whenever I order my next pair of Jaguar pickups, I'll probably stock up on a pair of each colour cover just in case. I'd rather have spares in a drawer than be frustrated that I can't change pickguards/covers to whatever colour I'm in the mood for.

Still, it beats having the cover epoxied on like many noiseless or active pickups. I may be slightly inconvenient to get new ones, but it's user-replaceable which is nice.
DeathJag wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:38 pm
I don't even have noise problems and I want a set of Fatmasters! But I'd love to hear a surf guitarists review, and the big question - can they drip?!
While I'm not a surf guitarist, I can tell you that Fatmasters can play surf. Just use 1M pots.

I mean, even Thickmasters can probably play surf well. I doubt they're any hotter or less clear sounding than 60s Mosrite pickups, which were similar in construction to P90s and massively overwound compared to Fender pickups of the time, and the Ventures seemed to do alright with those.

But the Fatmasters can definitely do the surf thing. The clarity on the low strings is there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:24 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm
While I'm not a surf guitarist, I can tell you that Fatmasters can play surf. Just use 1M pots.

I mean, even Thickmasters can probably play surf well. I doubt they're any hotter or less clear sounding than 60s Mosrite pickups, which were similar in construction to P90s and massively overwound compared to Fender pickups of the time, and the Ventures seemed to do alright with those.

But the Fatmasters can definitely do the surf thing. The clarity on the low strings is there.
The Ventures had no reverb and hence no drips haha! I do love their Moserite tone though, and I bet the bass clarity you mention would make drips. The 1 meg pot thing is a great tip thank you. I may go for a set just for fun. When I play through the two Showmans there is a bunch of noise, and it's not just the amps' noise floor. Thanks!

Dan

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:13 pm

I have a set of black pickup covers to replace the white ones, I've been too lazy to bother, but anyway here's how he recommends pulling the covers.

Frankly it makes me nervous reading that.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:25 pm

But it's got to be black, right?