Bridge options for my Squier VM Jag

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bridge options for my Squier VM Jag

Post by Dollywitch » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 pm

I'm finally ready to give up on the stock bridge of the VM Jag as I've had a lot of issues with it. Originally, I had a Classic Player Jag that I sold to get the Squier because i wanted a more "vintage accurate" Jaguar. I had at least 2 other guitars at that point, so I liked the idea of having an intentionally somewhat "crappy" punky guitar. But I actually like the tone of the VM Jaguar better than most guitars I've tried. The guy I bought it from included a Mustang Bridge, but I'm worried that'll change the sound in a way I don't like. I do like the percussive tone of the regular jag, but not the string jumping(even after putting 11s on it).

Should I just put in the Mustang bridge? Or is there another option? A cheaper alternative to the Mastery maybe? GFS used to make one but it looks like they no longer do.

I'd considered selling the whole thing to get a different Jag if there's someone who prefers the Mustang bridge, but it might be worth just fixing the bridge.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge options for my Squier VM Jag

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:34 pm

Dollywitch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 pm
I'm finally ready to give up on the stock bridge of the VM Jag as I've had a lot of issues with it. Originally, I had a Classic Player Jag that I sold to get the Squier because i wanted a more "vintage accurate" Jaguar. I had at least 2 other guitars at that point, so I liked the idea of having an intentionally somewhat "crappy" punky guitar. But I actually like the tone of the VM Jaguar better than most guitars I've tried. The guy I bought it from included a Mustang Bridge, but I'm worried that'll change the sound in a way I don't like. I do like the percussive tone of the regular jag, but not the string jumping(even after putting 11s on it).

Should I just put in the Mustang bridge? Or is there another option? A cheaper alternative to the Mastery maybe? GFS used to make one but it looks like they no longer do.

I'd considered selling the whole thing to get a different Jag if there's someone who prefers the Mustang bridge, but it might be worth just fixing the bridge.
Mustang bridge should be fine unless you’re a crazy heavy strummer/vib user. It won’t change the sound.

I bought a mastery so used it on a Jag & a JM. The only noticeable difference on the Jag when I went back to a mustang bridge was unplugged volume a bit quieter..
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:57 am

There are any number of options, but the Mustang bridge has enjoyed enduring popularity as an easy, and low-priced solution for years and years. I never experienced any problems when I used one.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm

I went with a Mustang bridge soon after purchasing my VM Squire Jag. I had a lot of rattle and could not get the thing to intonate correctly. The new bridge corrected the problems. YMMV.

I can't offer any opinion regarding any change in the guitar's tone with a different bridge.

Todd Connelly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Todd Connelly » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm

Dollywitch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 pm

You’ve switched to 11 gauge strings. That’s a good start. Just out of curiosity, what is the distance from your pick guard to your low E string at the saddle? You want 9/16” minimum. 5/8” is better. Any less and you won’t get the break angle and resultant downforce that you need to get the strings to stay put. If you already have that then a Mustang style bridge might be needed. I admit I have a pretty light touch. But I haven’t had any problems with strings jumping.

Cheers……………..Todd

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:55 am

i switched to the Mustang bridge and had serious issues with it popping out of the socket. After adjusting the truss rod among other things, I *think* I have a decent compromise, but i'm getting rattle on the E string

Shane110111
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shane110111 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:01 pm

I've only ever used Mustang bridges on Jags/JM's. Never had any issues with strings popping out of the saddles but I've always shimmed the necks on mine to give a sharper break angle behind the bridge.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:57 am

Mustang bridges are tried and true replacements, they're very good. One of my friends has one in his jaguar and it is literally the nicest feeling guitar I've ever played, not an exaggeration or hyperbole. I would say it still has a very percussive sound to it. My squier JM currently has the stock bridge in it that I am going to swap out for a Staytrem I ordered but I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come in before I take it all apart and do all my modding.