Anyone else order a Staytrem lately?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else order a Staytrem lately?

Post by Synchro » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:36 am

GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:23 am
javier-san wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm
mekhem wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:28 am
I think they use the same thread pattern as EOM Fender - dont know whet that is though
Unfortunately, they are unthreaded. I'll have to measure the OD of the staytrem arm in comparison to a Fender arm and drill out a fender tip.
I was able to press a Fender tip onto one of mine. Just took some lovin'.
Am I correct in understanding that there are no threads on the arm?
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Synchro wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:36 am
GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:23 am
javier-san wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm

Unfortunately, they are unthreaded. I'll have to measure the OD of the staytrem arm in comparison to a Fender arm and drill out a fender tip.
I was able to press a Fender tip onto one of mine. Just took some lovin'.
Am I correct in understanding that there are no threads on the arm?
Yup. They are unthreaded.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:50 am

Thanks for the info.

mikeyjames56
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeyjames56 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:09 am

Anyone receive their Staytrem bridge in the last few weeks? It's the last piece I need for my build and I'm on week 12 (ordered the second week of November).

Not trying to seem impatient, it'll come when it comes of course. More worried about when it hits the mail since Texas has been dealing with some severe mail delays.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:24 pm

mikeyjames56 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:09 am
Anyone receive their Staytrem bridge in the last few weeks? It's the last piece I need for my build and I'm on week 12 (ordered the second week of November).

Yes, order placed in the last week of September —> arrived 3 weeks ago

Mute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mute » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:23 am

Just got my order today. Originally placed it on October 14th, but wasn't invoiced/shipped until about a week ago, so it gives you an idea of the current waiting time.

Product is stellar as always though :-*

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:32 am

Just placed an order, so will keep you in the loop. I'm doing a few bits to various guitars, so happy to wait a while!

Emil
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emil » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:52 pm

I ordered one october 19 and it will arrive in the mail tomorrow.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:22 am

I’ve been on the fence about ordering one. I’ve always fixed my offset problems with Mustang bridges.
Is the Staytrem really that good of an improvement? Or would it not really be an upgrade, if I’m already using a perfectly good Mustang bridge?
I’m not turned off by the price or the wait, just the uncertainty of what I mentioned above.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:22 am
I’ve been on the fence about ordering one. I’ve always fixed my offset problems with Mustang bridges.
Is the Staytrem really that good of an improvement? Or would it not really be an upgrade, if I’m already using a perfectly good Mustang bridge?
I’m not turned off by the price or the wait, just the uncertainty of what I mentioned above.
Good question. IMHO, it’s an excellent piece, but the purpose is to prevent the bridge from lowering itself, because of vibration, and yes, it’s good for that purpose. My Squier CV ‘70s Jag’ has the OEM bridge, and in the year I’ve owned it, there have been zero problems, but when I built my Warmoth Jaguar, I went StayTrem.

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:37 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:42 am

Synchro wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Good question. IMHO, it’s an excellent piece, but the purpose is to prevent the bridge from lowering itself, because of vibration, and yes, it’s good for that purpose. My Squier CV ‘70s Jag’ has the OEM bridge, and in the year I’ve owned it, there have been zero problems, but when I built my Warmoth Jaguar, I went StayTrem.
As far as the bridge goes I find that there's a very subtle tonal difference but it's realistically more mechanical improvements. The intonation screws are offset from the centers of the saddles so you can make adjustments without moving the strings. Those screws are also parallel to the plate rather than at an angle so they don't rise up as you tighten them and the E saddles on the revised version have them locked through the other side of the plate so the saddles don't shift side-to-side. The bushing on the bottom of the height post is certainly better than blue threadlocker (which does work excellently).

On the couple guitars where I replaced the CV bridge with the Staytrem I find the biggest thing is that it just works and I don't have to think about it. Sometimes I had to think about the CV bridge.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:28 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:42 am
Synchro wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
As far as the bridge goes I find that there's a very subtle tonal difference but it's realistically more mechanical improvements. The intonation screws are offset from the centers of the saddles so you can make adjustments without moving the strings. Those screws are also parallel to the plate rather than at an angle so they don't rise up as you tighten them and the E saddles on the revised version have them locked through the other side of the plate so the saddles don't shift side-to-side. The bushing on the bottom of the height post is certainly better than blue threadlocker (which does work excellently).

On the couple guitars where I replaced the CV bridge with the Staytrem I find the biggest thing is that it just works and I don't have to think about it. Sometimes I had to think about the CV bridge.
I would agree. I would describe the CV bridge as pretty good, but the StayTrem bridge is excellent. I just ordered another one, along with a spare StayTrem arm, as I was writing this very post. I like the bushing idea, myself. I used to work on aircraft, and there were NyLoc fasteners used in some places, basically NyLoc nuts, and even some NyLoc bolts use a strip of nylon to secure the fastener. It’s like blue LocTite, without actually having to use LocTite, and you can reuse these fasteners several times before they give out. I have a bunch of them, myself, just in case I should ever need to fasten something, or if a broken 727 ever lands on my street and needs a hand getting back to an airworthy state.

StayTrem’s bridge is similar to NyLoc, but not identical, and I see it as an excellent solution. In the case of my CV Squire, I think mine was blessed the day it left the factory. I’ve owned some nice guitars in my day, with price tags to match, but I’ve never owned a guitar that was any better constructed, finished, or that played or sounded better than this little Squier. I plucked it off the wall at the local GC, during their President’s Day Sale, and was quite impressed. I just walked it up to the counter and bought it on the spot.
Last edited by Synchro on Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:54 am

I'd never heard of a circlip before just now. So presumably if you have a decent Mustang bridge and just want to extend the intonation range by removing the spring, you could remove the spring and add a circlip yourself? If so, anybody know what size it would need?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:14 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
It’s basically a more rugged, tight, heavier Mustang bridge. If what you have is working I see no need to replace it but if you need one for another guitar I’d certainly recommend it. I haven’t used all the options out there - just the stock offset bridge/Mustang/the various modded goofy ones fender and Squier have done/Staytrem and mastery and Staytrem is my favorite. So many less moving parts than a mastery, and sometimes can fit a bridge cover, which is cool.