I Want a Nice Jazzmaster - 30 Years Later

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I Want a Nice Jazzmaster - 30 Years Later

Post by benji » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:25 pm

Hi all, I’ve had a revelation recently and could use some advice.

I started playing guitar as a teenager in January 1994. So in a few months, I will be able to say I’ve been playing for 30 years. And after many years and many guitars, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Jazzmaster suits me best.

I’m selling off a lot of gear (bye bye Musicmasters) to get a nice JM. I’ve had a Squier CV JM before, and I am borrowing my bandmate’s Mascis JM indefinitely. But I’d like to buy something MIJ or MIA.

The most important thing for me is going to be “neck feel.” I like thinner necks, so I’m looking for either a modern C or 60s C profile. I think even a deep C will be too much for me, and definitely staying away from D and U profiles.

A few additional notes: I’m going to stay away from MIM as well because for whatever reason I’ve never found an MIM neck that suited me. I don’t mind swapping electronics and pickups if needed. Having played a lot of Squiers, I probably prefer a 9.5” radius with medium jumbo frets, but I can get along with a vintage radius and vintage frets too.

I’ve narrowed it down to the three JMs that I might want to try. Which would be your pick? Or given my tastes, are there any others I should consider?

MIJ Hybrid II
Affordable, good electronics, good pickups, modern C with 9.5” radius and satin finish like the Mascis. I don’t need a rhythm circuit at all.

MIJ JM-66
More expensive than ever, needs new pups and electronics. But a nice 60s C neck with 7.25” radius. These are nice guitars and may continue to go up in value.

MIA American Vintage II
Extremely expensive but very classy. Obviously vintage correct and with good pups and electronics. Some QC issues. Maybe this is overkill?

Leaving out AVRI 62 and 65, MIJ Mascis and Thurston because they’re all ridiculously expensive now. Thanks so much for your help!!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I Want a Nice Jazzmaster - 30 Years Later

Post by MattK » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 pm

If you can try a Troy van Leeuwin sig I would recommend giving it a shot - it's almost like an AV65 in key aspects, might need a bit of tweaking but otherwise ...
Otherwise probably 80s or 2010s MIJ - they have the neck profile you want and would be well finished and set up.
Thirdly I'd even consider a Squier Classic Vibe or 40th Anniversary, they are that good these days, and have the 9.5 radius.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:19 pm

1. The Hybrid IIs are basically Japanese made American Pro Is, necks feel nice and the bodies are Alder. If you can get a used AM Pro for the same price I would say go for that as it comes with a really good case and probably would hold value better if you decide to move it on.

2. MIJ JM66 are having a moment in used market prices outside of Asia. I wouldn’t 100% count on them increasing in value or being able to move them on easily if you buy at a high price.

3. The AV II is a really nice guitar and you say you want a nice Jazzmaster. The price being the only con if you get one with no QC issues. I say go for it if you can afford it :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:02 pm

Don't forget the Classic Lacquer models. They sometimes pop up for cheap and are really not far from AVRIs. I don't think their neck profile feels like a typical MIM at all.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:44 pm

Second giving the TVL a chance. I, too, I’ve never gotten on with Mexican necks, but damn, the TVL’s is sublime. The best compliment I can give it is it reminds me of Japanese necks. It’s slim but not thin, has a fast finish on it and even with the binding feels buttery. If you’re into vintage specs, it has a 7.25” radius and vintage frets. Those two specs are becoming rarer on Japanese necks, which was my reason for giving the TVL a shot. Plus it looks absolutely stunning.

I picked one up on order a few months and I’m blown away by it. Top guitar and not a single QC issue on mine, which I can’t say for the American guitars I’ve tried over the past couple of years. If I blind tested it, I’d swear it was Japanese. It comes in two not often-seen colours and the Oxblood variant is back to a rosewood fretboard. Comes with a case too.

I’m not typically a Jazzmaster person, but it’s perfect to me. Even the AV65 pickups sound great as is and have added a completely new tone to my arsenal of sounds. Those who rock several Jazzmaster’s may have pickups they prefer, but as someone who only had CV and partscaster Jazzmasters (including a couple with vintage-inspired boutique winds), the step into my first ‘proper’ Jazzmaster has been a massive one. I frigging love my TVL. Not my go to, but definitely the guitar I pickup when I want to change things up. I luckily got mine at old prices, but I’d still be insanely happy at the current prices. I’m a Jag person, and if there was an AVII Jag and a Jag in the ballpark of TVL, I’d trade little bits of period accuracy for the vastly cheaper option that just happens to be made in Mexico in a funky colour, wrong-sized blocks and with a different switch somewhere.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 pm

I would maybe check out the American Professional and Ultra JM too.
Though they have a "deep C" and "modern D" neck, within your price range if you have the chance; I'd try anything I could get my hands on just to be sure.
If the AM Professional II JM neck is anything like the Tele profile it'll probably be a bit too big though. But as the Ultra is marketed towards more "modern" players I wouldn't be surprised if the neck is a bit on the thinner side.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:55 pm

Don‘t leave the new MIJ Traditional and all the nice FSR models - just because you may encounter an U-shaped neck… they feel pretty slim to me (and I have rather small hands at 1,73m/5,67 ft height)

There is this thread about Fender Japan‘s recent models - the good thing: they now all have better electronics and US guards fitting. So no real need to change them… maybe the pickups - as at least some of these come with the V-mod pickups which some folks don‘t like.

PlayWithPride
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PlayWithPride » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:21 am

Once I learned that I could literally shape the back of my guitar's neck to the shape of my hand using various grades of sandpaper (and then TruOil) and make it far more comfortable than any American neck, my life improved dramatically. It coincided with winning the the Washington State lottery, but I believe it had more to do with making (along with some Stewmac fretwork tools) each of my budget guitars custom-shop level from a playability standpoint. Don't know why people don't do this. Wood is wood.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 am

You might look at the AO models from a few years ago - they seem weirdly underpriced relative to the AV65 and are pretty close in specs aside from the 9.5" radius on the AO (which is your preference anyway).

There are a few used ones listed on Guitar Center's used page right now for under $1800 - as well as a few recent AVRI II options for about the same price.

If that's too spendy, I'd second the suggestion to look at one of the MIM 60s lacquer, road worn, or 60th anniversary options.

The best value for a high end fender-ish thing is always going to be buying someone else's high end parts-build.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:51 pm

benji wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:25 pm

The most important thing for me is going to be “neck feel.” I like thinner necks.
I really enjoyed the AO I had (despite the big frets) but the neck was way chunkier than the handful of MIJ/CIJ Jazzmasters I've had over the years (as well as an AVRI JM). (Which is why I personally liked it more than a CIJ)

And, as for things getting expensive, I'd go with the justification of mentally prorating the cost over another 30 years. ;)

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:21 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 pm
If you can try a Troy van Leeuwin sig I would recommend giving it a shot - it's almost like an AV65 in key aspects, might need a bit of tweaking but otherwise ...
Funny, I was also about to post something along the line of "Don't turn away from the TVL before trying it..." It sounds like your kind of neck.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:28 pm

I happened to see a Lacquer 60’s on Reverb earlier.. These are very close to the AV65’s many of the same USA Components and real Fender USA AV65 Pickups.. Originally they did come with a Hard Case..

If I ever buy a backup for my AV65 JM it will be one of these..

https://reverb.com/item/72214754-fender ... surf-green

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:33 am

If an AVRI 62 is beyond your reach the Classic lacquer would be my next obvious choice. I know you said you didn’t want Mexican made, but you also wanted a thinner neck and those are almost exact copies of the AVRI 62. I think the body contours are slightly different? I’d have to search OSG archives to remember…I don’t feel any discernible difference picking up an AVRI right after the Classic lacquer. Gotta love the color though, since that’s the only color they come in.

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:24 am

The Fender Japan Heritage Jazzmaster could be an option too:

Mid 60s C Neck, 7.25” Radius, Vintage Frets, Nitro over urethane Finish, Alder Body, CTS pots and real vintage style JM pickups.

They don’t come with a case and the tailpiece isn’t AVRi. Other than that it is like under USD1300 before shipping etc.

Fender Japan FSR Heritage Jazzmaster in Sonic Blue

benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benji » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:23 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I've almost finalized a really good deal on a TVL in oxblood, so I'm probably going to go with that. I wouldn't have considered a TVL if it were not for the feedback here. Hearing the comparisons between the TVL neck and Japanese necks gave me a lot of confidence.

Ultimately I think most of the MIA JMs are too expensive for me. Very attractive though. I had not heard about the AOs before.

I'd also like to clarify that the Am Pro I & II are different from the MIJ Hybrid II in both the Am Pro models have the deep C neck. Or at least replacement necks for both models specify deep C on the Sweetwater site.

Finally, had not heard about the MIJ Heritage models... those look very nice as well. I agree that the JM-66 is overpriced right now and the Hybrid II just doesn't call to me. So if I can get a great deal on an TVL, I'll skip the MIJ models. If I end up not liking the TVL for any reason, I'll probably look seriously at the MIJ Heritage or even a Classic 60s Laquer, which I tried a long time ago and liked.