Gold Foil Pickups for Jazzmaster (HH)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
plan9os
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Gold Foil Pickups for Jazzmaster (HH)

Post by plan9os » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 pm

I recently obtained an MIJ Jazzmaster with two Modern Modified humbuckers. This guitar doesn't have the rhythm circuit, just simplified volume and tone knobs. I was thinking to swap out the HHs with custom built gold foil ones. Has anyone opted for gold foils with any success and enjoyed them?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gold Foil Pickups for Jazzmaster (HH)

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:20 am

I have 3 goldfoils in a Jaguar and I love them. Great note seperation and they're nicely balanced. They also take dirt and fuzz surprisingly well. I use it as my main guitar for practice, gigging and recording - I love the sound.

I'm not sure if all goldfoils are created equally, but I used Mojo pickups here in the UK and have zero complaints https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:30 am

I have a set of modern goldfoil reproductions in a Jaguar and they kinda suck..
Kinda dull and lifeless. Nothing like my set of vintage goldfoils. Then again they were about 50,- a piece from Roswell so I guess the old adage is true; you get what you pay for. These ones are getting swapped out...
Grab a set of Mojo or Novak ones and I'll bet they'll make you really happy. Can't go wrong with a good goldfoil from a good winder.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:37 am

1960's DeArmonds (silverfoils, but they should still count) in a Squire VM Jag. Idk about other similar pickups (Mojotone, GFS, etc.), but I found that it was necessary to mod the electronics to get the pickups to give all that they have to give in this guitar. It took more than just mounting and connecting. YMMV.

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 am

I have a set of these in a parts master.

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/jm-hc-diamond/

I really dig them. They are fairly aggressive, but still sound like Jazzmaster pickups and clean up nicely as well. They are my favorite pickups in the Jazzmasters I own. I guess they are mostly gold foil in looks only though.

plan9os
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by plan9os » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:42 am

Thanks all for the suggestions and sharing some pictures! Certainly will follow up on all these great suggestions and I'll check out Mojo / Novak pickups asap!!