NGD: Gas got me again....

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Gas got me again....

Post by mekhem » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:12 pm

I think it was the 66 Jag for 1800 bucks on CL that got me starting to GAS for a 'standard' Jaguar. I posted about it here and started casually looking around. I suppose i had not been paying attention to the AV Jag market lately but there are not a whole lot of them out there and the ones that are are still hoping for 2021 pricing, are sunburst, have a non responsive seller (I am looking at you AV62 in Inca Silver guy...but thanks to the ones that did respond), or have been through the ringer. Nothing wrong with going through the ringer, but I didn't want to pay 2024 retail for a Jag that has been beaten like a rented mule for the last decade.

Up pops this case queen AV 65 FSR Sonic Blue, good weight, complete, and as far as i can see completely unplayed by the original owner. Plastic still on the guard and not a chip in sight. Price was higher than I was looking for and not exorbitant....but.... Sonic Blue and basically NOS.

I had one of these after they came out and never bonded with that one. Felt buzzy and was heavy AF. This one is much much better. Nice neck, slightly smaller than I remember, great fretwork. I had forgotten how great these things can sound. I am so used to the MarrGuar pickups and switching that the OEM rhythm circuit was a nice surprise. It will complement to the MarrGuar nicely.

Its got a pretty decent set up on it except for the sky high action. I plan on adding a Staytrem Bridge or a Marr bridge and keeping the mute for a while, so whichever bridge has small enough posts to fit the mute. I may have to shim the neck a bit if I cant lower the action enough because of the mute, and to be fair - I think the mute needs to come down a hair as well. SO there will be some trial and error set up in the near future. I will also put a different white guard on it while I figure out of I want to put on a Mint green one. Pretty sure I do not want to deal with removing the plastic film on a 10 year old pick guard.

Last edited by mekhem on Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Gas got me again....

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 pm

Your pics aren’t showing. Sounds like a good score though!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Anything that gets more Jags into happy players hands, I'm all for.

I tried the link in a separate tab, however I think it's maybe a Google Drive sharing issue (as in, you need to change it to "everyone with the link can see" or whatever it's called, as it's invite only by default). Shame too, as I ♥️ Jags with a passion.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:34 pm
Anything that gets more Jags into happy players hands, I'm all for.

I tried the link in a separate tab, however I think it's maybe a Google Drive sharing issue (as in, you need to change it to "everyone with the link can see" or whatever it's called, as it's invite only by default). Shame too, as I ♥️ Jags with a passion.
Jags are indeed amazing. I’ve noticed they’ve gotten way more popular on this forum alone, over the past few years. There used to be very few Jag threads and posts. Now they’re a regular occurrence.
They’ve also become more visible in the outside world. Go Jags!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am
Jags are indeed amazing. I’ve noticed they’ve gotten way more popular on this forum alone, over the past few years. There used to be very few Jag threads and posts. Now they’re a regular occurrence.
They’ve also become more visible in the outside world. Go Jags!
I got into Jags in the mid-2000s, when they weren't particularly popular, so for once I don't get to feel like a Johnny Come Lately; it's a nearly two decade old thing now :w00t:

I drunk played a friend's one in about 2005-6 and loved it, borrowed it, learnt how to deal with the bridge and the squealy pickups because I loved the neck and look so much, never regretted it. I find it incredible that for 2 of the 3 CIJ '62 reissue Jags (you know, the ones that are often mislabeled '66 even though they don't have the B&B necks) I paid less for £400, and today they're going for like £1,200-£1,500 on Reverb if they're in good condition. My main Jag cost me £360 - before upgrades etc, at least.

Is it bad that I discourage people from them though, or at least caveat it? When people come up to me after gigs and say "wow that Jag sounds great, should I get one?" and I'm like "yeah, if you want to spend at least again what you paid making it sound like that cos it's not cheap!" - the idea being I'm trying to prime them for the inevitable disappointment of how crappy some of them play and sound before having parts changed and a setup, cos I never had any of that.

---

Anyway I digress, I don't want to derail this guy's thread too much.

I would love to see some pictures though, mekhem, please fix the link 🤞🏻

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

ugh - pictures are hard

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Last edited by mekhem on Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

Sounds like you got yourself a very nice guitar! Sonic blue is a great colour on a Jag.

Not sure your pic is publicly shared from your Google account. If I hit the link directly I get a no-entry sign. Also needs to be the url to the image itself rather than the page it’s on for it to embed in a forum post. If you’re okay with hosting on a public site, something like https://imgbb.com/ will work.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 pm

I am not why I keep messing this up - but the pic "should" be up now

B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B.T. » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:48 pm

Wow that’s gorgeous, congrats!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:31 pm

mekhem wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am
That is both gorgeous and mint looking. The mutes on those ones are super fun to goof around with, especially with delay to help stop note bleed when you have the repeats up high, I strongly recommend trying it. Also if you flip it on and off with a bit more force it makes a weird af clonk kind of tone you can hear through the bridge pickup with gain and/or compression applied. The mute is kinda useless as a mute (palming it sounds better) but it has other uses.