Any love here for the Squier Sonic Mustang?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love here for the Squier Sonic Mustang?

Post by crazyzeke » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:58 am

Just for fun, here's a shot of it getting gigged about 5 years ago, I'm mid-jump by the look of it. Still have that shirt (wearing it now) but I can't believe how thin I look - this was well before I started lifting weights etc.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

gilpi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gilpi » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:44 am
What's the difference between the old Bullet Mustang necks and the new Sonic ones?

The one on my Bullet Mustang feels kinda wimpy so I bought another Bullet neck to switch it out with which feels a bit better but curiously has a different style tuners (First gen had standard modern style tuners that have a retaining screw on the back, later Bullet's came with a little retaining peg like the American Fender tuners).

I'd consider a Sonic Mustang if it's an upgrade; they're cheap as chips anyway.

I just purchased my second Sonic Mustang, the first one has the maple fretboard, the last one, maple with laurel fingerboard. I thought they would both have the same neck profile, but they don't. The laurel neck width is slightly thinner at the nut (.645" vs .670") and not as thick from front to back (.890" vs .910") So, it's only a difference of about 0.6mm or .020-.025", not a lot but noticeable. Both feel good though the all maple neck definitely feels chunkier. They both share the same string spacing at the nut.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm

gilpi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 am
Steadyriot. wrote:
What's the difference between the old Bullet Mustang necks and the new Sonic ones?

The one on my Bullet Mustang feels kinda wimpy so I bought another Bullet neck to switch it out with which feels a bit better but curiously has a different style tuners (First gen had standard modern style tuners that have a retaining screw on the back, later Bullet's came with a little retaining peg like the American Fender tuners).

I just purchased my second Sonic Mustang, the first one has the maple fretboard, the last one, maple with laurel fingerboard. I thought they would both have the same neck profile, but they don't. The laurel neck width is slightly thinner at the nut (.645" vs .670") and not as thick from front to back (.890" vs .910") So, it's only a difference of about 0.6mm or .020-.025", not a lot but noticeable. Both feel good though the all maple neck definitely feels chunkier. They both share the same string spacing at the nut.
Ah thanks for the info! I'd go for the laurel so in that case it isn't really an upgrade as I like necks to be on the chunky side. Thanks for letting me know!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 am

gilpi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 am
Steadyriot. wrote:

Do they have the same amount of screws on the pickguard and/or are they made in different countries?
Could be another factor.