Re: My first Bass VI!!!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:30 am

Alfred, thanks, I love the case, too.  I think that came from Al Molinaro, on eBay.  You know I'm interested in  the control plate and bridge base if you can get'em.

There's something still not quite right about how it plays and sounds.  Seems like the pups or bridge might be hindering the low end, low strings.  I have been waiting to do any adjustments until the bass gets aclimated to our climate, which is pretty different than California where it came from.  Then maybe a truss rod tweak, pups height, maybe bridge.  Plus the strings are new, as well, and they are just settling in on a tuning for me.

Just something doesn't sound like I think it could.  I'll have to go on the hunt for a cause, but only after the above tweaks.

Dave

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:44 am

So after trying out different amps and cabs (guitar player leaves his stuff at my house) I have decided that my Mesa Road Ready cabs are the problem here.  1x15 and 2x15, they have the really low end I crave with my regular scales basses, but don't have the low mid, middy sound I want with the BassVI.  So, I gotta get new cabs...  damn.  ;)

I am on the lookout for some 12's.  Preferably 4 of them.  I think 2 Avatar 2x12's would do my SVT a wonderful thing, but I would love to get an unloaded V-4 cab ( I have a line on a couple of them) and put in some bass speaks.  That would match my SVT.

Later, Dave

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:02 am

what case is that?

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:09 pm

davelowell wrote: I am on the lookout for some 12's.  Preferably 4 of them.  I think 2 Avatar 2x12's would do my SVT a wonderful thing, but I would love to get an unloaded V-4 cab ( I have a line on a couple of them) and put in some bass speaks.  That would match my SVT.
I've got a 95 reisse Bass VI and a 2006 custom shop.  My normal bass rig is an Ampeg SVP-CL, QSC 2402, and a pair of Ampeg Portabase 2x12s.  Kicks ass for regular bass stuff, and VIs sound pretty good.  But to really get a great sound with the VIs you need more of a guitar amp with 2x12 speakers.  I have a Vox, and I know the purists might snear about the tube hybrid design, but I love this amp:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v ... 100vt.html

You can control the power from 1 to 100 watts, so if dirty is what you want you can get it.  It also has cool effects for the VI, though I usually avoid effects for normal bass.  A little bit of chorus or delay with a little bit of tremelo - perfect for the VI.  Some day I'll get around to recording some sounds with it.

Do yourself a favor and check out some guitar amps for the VI.  Unless you're thumpin' on it like a regular bass, you don't need all the wattage and clean speakers.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:49 am

DB wrote: Unless you're thumpin' on it like a regular bass, you don't need all the wattage and clean speakers.

DB
I am playing bass like, but I get your point.  And a little tube grit and even lots of distortion sound amazing with this thing.  Gotta try all options with 12's for now. 

Dave

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:32 am

i haven't tried a bass cab with 10" speakers
but i definitely like the 12's!
do NOT like the VI through my Ampeg B-100R with a 15" speaker...

did i already say this in tha bassVI Amp thread?

John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John Taverna » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:36 am

DB wrote:
davelowell wrote: I am on the lookout for some 12's.  Preferably 4 of them.  I think 2 Avatar 2x12's would do my SVT a wonderful thing, but I would love to get an unloaded V-4 cab ( I have a line on a couple of them) and put in some bass speaks.  That would match my SVT.
I've got a 95 reisse Bass VI and a 2006 custom shop.  My normal bass rig is an Ampeg SVP-CL, QSC 2402, and a pair of Ampeg Portabase 2x12s.  Kicks ass for regular bass stuff, and VIs sound pretty good.  But to really get a great sound with the VIs you need more of a guitar amp with 2x12 speakers.  I have a Vox, and I know the purists might snear about the tube hybrid design, but I love this amp:
http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v ... 100vt.html

You can control the power from 1 to 100 watts, so if dirty is what you want you can get it.  It also has cool effects for the VI, though I usually avoid effects for normal bass.  A little bit of chorus or delay with a little bit of tremelo - perfect for the VI.  Some day I'll get around to recording some sounds with it.

Do yourself a favor and check out some guitar amps for the VI.  Unless you're thumpin' on it like a regular bass, you don't need all the wattage and clean speakers.

DB

Vox valvetronix are good amps, I played an AD60 for years with guitars and basses: very good sounds and tough, volume-proof speakers   
Last edited by John Taverna on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:35 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: what case is that?

^ anyone? ^

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:52 pm

I got it off of eBay from Al Molinaro.  He is the dude who helped write the Fender Bass Book and owner of Guitars-R-Us in LA.  It's just a RI 1963, I think he said, case for a Bass VI.  It is the same size as a normal Fender case, the interior has more padding, and kinda makes the bass sit at an angle, not straight.  Made by G&G.  Sorry, I must have skipped right over your post, any more info, just ask.  I will pay attention this time. 

Dave

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:18 pm

i don't believe that case was ever issued with a new guitar
it had to be a special run commissioned by somebody...
maybe Fender
but it wasn't intended to *go* with any new release, probably just to make up for the fact that a lot of vintage VI's needed hardshell cases...

he never pictured a VI *inside* one of those cases, so i was leary of buying one...

is it the same Al Molinaro from Happy Days?

if not, are they related??

???

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:45 pm

bassVIst wrote: is it the same Al Molinaro from Happy Days?
Doubt it, I think he died a few years back.  He was from Kenosha, WI - where I grew up!
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:36 am

I was worried all the way up until I actually had the box in my hand if the bass would fit, but it's snug as a bug. 

Not the same guy from Happy Days, I googled him the last time I heard that, I think from Alfred.

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:26 am

damn.

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:33 pm

I use my Rickenbacker 4001 case for the Bass VI.
Not kidding - it fits.

For the sound I have an old EV cab - 1 15" with a vented midrange that hasn't been hooked up for decades.
420w Biamp pwr amp.
Rane 5-band Parametric EQ/pre.

I'll use that configuration for 'Bass' gigs. No effects.

For a more baritone guitar sound (when I'm the bassist AND guitarist simultainiously) I add a Pignose G40V that supplies the sweet tube attributes, and doesn't stress out.

A massive sound that's the best of both worlds.
'Couple of standard effects - RAT dist., Tremolo, Reverb/delay, Wah/Vol ped.
Bass VI - A What?

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am

Here's one I just took in better light.  Three pics in this thread, and three different colors.