Re: I knew this would eventually happen.. I have Jag gas

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

I knew this would eventually happen.. I have Jag gas

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:46 am

It's been building for a little while now but Doug's '63 build up page, and Sook's gold jag thread put it over the top.. what am I to do?

I've tried a few AVRI's and didn't like the feel.. I know I didn't put the time in I could've though. I wonder if I'm missing out on something the way some people miss out on Ric's because they can't get past the thin necks, there's something else there that's more than worth the adjustment. I love the look and sound of Jag's.. with some examples why talk me out/into it

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:09 am

I can't help here...I've had Jaguar GAS for quite a while..the only thing holding it under control is that I can't afford one...plus, if I'm gonna get any guitar, I'd need a backup Jazzmaster for playing in the band.

:)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 am

yeah but what about a back up Jag for that '61 JM?!

I loved having two JM's but someday when I can I might go for a Jag and Jazzblaster.. three different flavors ???

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:00 am

Well .. as I said earlier I still think Jags are one of the last affordable great vintage guitars.

Partsmaster Jags would be pretty cheap to do, I reckon .. the necks are shortscale and so not that desirable, the bodies likewise .. the only things really pricey on them are the pups (I suspect people rip the claws off them and drop them into vintage $trat lash-ups), and the neck plate.

So if you just want a vintage player Jag .. old neck and body, repro hardware, Lollar/Novak pups .. probably the same price (or less) than an AVRI, not much more than a Warmoth built from scratch, certainly way cheaper than a sketchy 70's Tele or Strat.

Working on this theory, I have a '63 Jag neck stashed away somewhere as I think I mentioned before. It cost about the same as '63 neck plates do!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:06 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: yeah but what about a back up Jag for that '61 JM?!
hmmm....nah...Id want to have the same sounds for the songs we would be playing...putting a Jag though my settings would change the sound....I've owned a Jag in the past in it sounds quite different to my ears....especialy as the super duper is dialed in for the JMs output..putting a Jag through it would just be different
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:20 pm

I have one of the blonde MIJ Jaguars from '94. I've kept everything stock except for the pickups and all of the electronics and some cosmetics. It really feels and sounds great. That year even has brass cavity shields and the aluminum pickguard shield. I usually round the treble side shoulder on the fretboard and take some 0000 steel wool to the back of the neck. It is actually one of my favorite guitars of all time, I think. For me, it seems to be a good bit more versatile than my Jazzmasters, at least with these pickups, pot values, and tone caps. I have the Duncan "vintage" styled pickups in it.

I like the idea of building one up, too though. You can get '64 and on up 24" scale Duosonic and Mustang necks for so cheap it probably would be worth it in the long run. It does seem like Jaguar bodies are harder to come by than JM ones though. You could always go with a Warmoth, ALLparts, or USACG body for it.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:19 pm

zhivago wrote:
hmmm....nah...Id want to have the same sounds for the songs we would be playing...putting a Jag though my settings would change the sound....I've owned a Jag in the past in it sounds quite different to my ears....especialy as the super duper is dialed in for the JMs output..putting a Jag through it would just be different

you sound like me when I'm making excuses for something I just don't like ;)  ;D

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:22 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Well .. as I said earlier I still think Jags are one of the last affordable great vintage guitars.

Partsmaster Jags would be pretty cheap to do, I reckon .. the necks are shortscale and so not that desirable, the bodies likewise .. the only things really pricey on them are the pups (I suspect people rip the claws off them and drop them into vintage $trat lash-ups), and the neck plate.

So if you just want a vintage player Jag .. old neck and body, repro hardware, Lollar/Novak pups .. probably the same price (or less) than an AVRI, not much more than a Warmoth built from scratch, certainly way cheaper than a sketchy 70's Tele or $trat.

Working on this theory, I have a '63 Jag neck stashed away somewhere as I think I mentioned before. It cost about the same as '63 neck plates do!

yeah I'm definitely thinking Doug '63 build up style project for this one.. seems way more fun and a bit cheaper than just buying one whole and hoping you aren't being lied to about it's originality.. hmm, can you tell I'm still a little pissed about getting burned  >:(

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:24 pm

i love sharin foo wrote: I have one of the blonde MIJ Jaguars from '94. I've kept everything stock except for the pickups and all of the electronics and some cosmetics. It really feels and sounds great. That year even has brass cavity shields and the aluminum pickguard shield. I usually round the treble side shoulder on the fretboard and take some 0000 steel wool to the back of the neck. It is actually one of my favorite guitars of all time, I think. For me, it seems to be a good bit more versatile than my Jazzmasters, at least with these pickups, pot values, and tone caps. I have the Duncan "vintage" styled pickups in it.

I like the idea of building one up, too though. You can get '64 and on up 24" scale Duosonic and Mustang necks for so cheap it probably would be worth it in the long run. It does seem like Jaguar bodies are harder to come by than JM ones though. You could always go with a Warmoth, ALLparts, or USACG body for it.

Justin

thanks for the input on yours and as far as the last part.. EXACTLY!  8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:59 pm

daydreamdelay wrote:
zhivago wrote:

you sound like me when I'm making excuses for something I just don't like ;)  ;D
hehe...I'd love to have a jag...I guess another JM for backup is more of a priority :)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:34 pm

zhivago wrote:
daydreamdelay wrote:
zhivago wrote: hmmm....nah...Id want to have the same sounds for the songs we would be playing...putting a Jag though my settings would change the sound....I've owned a Jag in the past in it sounds quite different to my ears....especialy as the super duper is dialed in for the JMs output..putting a Jag through it would just be different

hehe...I'd love to have a jag...I guess another JM for backup is more of a priority :)

wait didn't you say recently one JM is all you need?

hehe.. offset gas is the bitch who never leaves :D

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:06 pm

It does seem like Jaguar bodies are harder to come by than JM ones though
Thanks to the vintage $trat crowd. They've left enough orphan JM bodies around that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

I think it was mjet (in a thread recently) who said he didn't want to play the vintage game. I agree. Since my vintage "hiatus" I've about decided that I'll just build the guitars I want from now on.

All the looks... more function... and less cost.
Last edited by fullerplast on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 pm

Doug, I generally agree, with just two reservations:

Firstly, you have to be familiar with the vintage stuff before you know how good the USACG/etc. repro stuff is.

Secondly, there are still affordable vintage parts as I said above. IIRC that Jag neck I mentioned cost me about $250 .. your basic Warmoth neck without upgrades/pretty wood/etc will cost about $200. If what you actually want to build is a Jaguar, that seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if (like me) you're not hung up on the originality of every last little part .. sure, it's nice to have them, but original switches etc don't change the sound or feel of the guitar.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:25 am

Oh, when I said "build my own" I didn't mean to totally exclude vintage parts. The Jag I'm building is using a 70s Musicmaster neck.

Your point about "not being hung up on the originality of every part" is what I was trying to get across. I used to strive to have everything just right down to the codes, stamps, etc. I'm starting to care less and less about those things. I can't see paying $150 for a set of pots that may or may not even function nicely. Now for a true 'restoration', sure. But for a cool player... why?

I think we're on the same page.
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:18 am

Okay, gotcha.

:)