Some Offsets from the Fender Museum

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Some Offsets from the Fender Museum

Post by dinosaur » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:08 am

Well I made a quick stop to the Fender Museum in Corona, Ca this weekend.  I must say it is an embarrassment to Fender, Museums, and - if possible - the city of Corona itself.  I had to be out there anyway for other matters, but I would sure be annoyed if I had made a special trip to see it.  As we left, my girlfriend looked at me and said, "I think at any given moment there are both more guitars and significantly cooler guitars just in your bedroom."  I agree.  With a few exceptions.

First up, there is currently a Johnny Cash Exhibit.  It had a few sets of clothes, a guild acoustic, a sweet 51 p-bass, an equally sweet blackface bandmaster and matching cab, and a 1962 JM.  I don't recognize the guitar, but I don't know tons about him.  I know I've seen clips of Luther Perkins playing a similar looking JM, but I think those clips were pre 62.  Anyway, it's darn pretty.  Oly white and one ply black guard.

Next up are the two offsets from the permanent collection that I'm sure everyone has seen.  1966 JM and the 1965 Jaguar from Bye Bye Birdie.  Both are striking in person.

Somehow, offsets are the best represented.  I would have loved to see even one Esquire, Nocaster, etc...but I understand the importance of saving space for the Blink-182 exhibit.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some Offsets from the Fender Museum

Post by Soiouz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 am

Could the Luther Perkins JM (Johnny Cash) be an AVRI made to look like the one he used ?  ???

The pic makes it look very much AVRI to me (bridge cover with no "lips", what looks to be bevelled polepieces, very white dot markers, etc.)...  That could also explain why they say it's a 1962.  Also, Luther Perkins used mostly Jaguars for a couple of years starting in 1962.

On another note, that gold Jaguar is fantastic!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 am

I still don't buy the story on the Birdie Jag.  Maybe the one in the museum is from a Broadway production?
Still looking for the close up screen grab I did.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 am

Soiouz wrote: Could the Luther Perkins JM (Johnny Cash) be an AVRI made to look like the one he used ?  ???

The pic makes it look very much AVRI to me (bridge cover with no "lips", what looks to be bevelled polepieces, very white dot markers, etc.)...  That could also explain why they say it's a 1962.  Also, Luther Perkins used mostly Jaguars for a couple of years starting in 1962.

It very well could be.  I hate to say it, but it didn't really hold my attention long enough for me to give it much thought.  :-[

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:04 am

In fact, I think the little sign beside the guitar says "... used in "Walk the Line"."

So it's probably the AVRI movie prop hanging there..

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:17 am

Soiouz wrote: In fact, I think the little sign beside the guitar says "... used in "Walk the Line"."

So it's probably the AVRI movie prop hanging there..
Indeed it does.  I am really losing it... :)