The "Conrad Birdie" Jaguar From Bye Bye Birdie!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ewheel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

The "Conrad Birdie" Jaguar From Bye Bye Birdie!

Post by ewheel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello!

I've recently been hit hard with the Jazzmaster Gas and found this great forum. After seeing so many great builds here, I'm seriously considering trying to build my own.

I've seen a few comments here about the Birdie Jaguar and, like many of you, have been unable to find any photos of it on the Internet.

I found this clip on YouTube and you can really see the guitar very clearly - especially if you view the clip in HD.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqCjsxkB4KE

The Jag starts being seen at about 4:33.

This guitar was on the wall of the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas for a few years and when the Hard Rock closed it's whereabouts became unknown. A new Hard Rock Cafe recently opened in Dallas and I have yet to go over and see if it's there.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and treat you to a really cool Jaguar that some of you may never have seen.

Take Care

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The "Conrad Birdie" Jaguar From Bye Bye Birdie!

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:38 pm

welcome aboard and thanks for the link! ever since i saw some blurry movie pics of this guitar in the latest edition of the fender guitar book i've told myself i'll youtube that movie to look for it... thanks to you i found it faster than watching the whole thing.

that guitar is STUNNING nice!!!  :? yes a bit kitsch but all over wonderful. fender's first "real custom shop/made" guitar. lovely.
HA! notice how he's playing with the switches in OFF position!?  ;D well ok he's not connected, and he has TWO bassists. but still... drool...  :? thanks!

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm

Just watched the movie, made in 1963, for the first time the other day and revelled in the glory of the Conrad Birdie Jaguar

My googling revealed that there were two guitars made.
One which was damaged during filming and is now in the possession of the Hard Rock Cafe people.

The other is said to have been in private hands since the filming and has apparently has not been seen since.

Also in one of the scenes, a black guard Jazzmaster is shown along with a candy apple red Jazz bass.

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The "Conrad Birdie" Jaguar From Bye Bye Birdie!

Post by Zeus » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:37 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm
Also in one of the scenes, a black guard Jazzmaster is shown along with a candy apple red Jazz bass.

More likely a (rather) dark tort, I would've thought.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:41 pm

It was definitely black.

Even though the photo may not be conclusive.

B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B.T. » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:39 am

Metal pickguard gold plated, probably really heavy but I’d rock that.