Nash Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Nash Jazzmaster

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm

Yeah, what's with that arm rash? It's way too far forward.  At least its not jsut on the edge (I rarely see a JM with rash just on the edge but that's always where the fake rash is) but someone would have played the guitar at their knees to get a lot of rash there.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:14 pm

I know that the arm rash on the black JM looks weird, but that's exactly where the rash will be occurring on my JM in a couple of years' time - I don't play it real low or anything, it's just the way I play it.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:13 pm

So I guess this Nash guy makes relic'd Fender repros?  ???
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:51 pm

They look pretty pants in my opinion.

I cannot stand tha "Dale Winton" vintage amber tint in the neck finish... totally unrealistic. :P
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:05 am

Mad-Mike wrote: I recall reading about the original Fender Factory and how they used to make celluloid products, particularly the skin that goes over their lap steels and such, and how it was a dangerous process.  It was some interview with Leo from the vintage guitars book I believe, he said "the place was like a bomb", and that one time the fire inspector came over, took one look, and went across the street and phoned them from there with the report.
dangerous indeed. the way i understand it, you have to dissolve the celluloid in acetone to liquify it. and i would imagine it takes quite a lot of acetone to make a whole batch of pickguards.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 am

Marc wrote: They look pretty pants in my opinion.

I cannot stand tha "Dale Winton" vintage amber tint in the neck finish... totally unrealistic. :P
I actually have an original that's MORE orange then these.  I'll see if I can track down a pic...

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 am

Not to crap on the thead - but I don't get the general fascination (not necessarily here) with this Nash guy. He's not a builder, he's an assembler. Nothing wrong with that, but how in the world did he gain a following? Anyone with a jobber account at a parts outlet could build one of these for around $400-$700, the flux depending mainly on the finish. Any of us could screw one together and probably not get the cost of the parts back for it, yet he gets big money for these things.  I realize it's because he has the name recognition, how he got that is what I don't understand.
Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:08 am

fullerplast wrote: Not to crap on the thead - but I don't get the general fascination (not necessarily here) with this Nash guy. He's not a builder, he's an assembler. Nothing wrong with that, but how in the world did he gain a following?
Well put. I hesitated to write anything because it would seem like I was bashing him - but the way you expressed it is perfect. Nothing against the guy, but why are people paying $1000+ for a guitar made up of components which anyone can buy? Oh well.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:14 am

mjet260 wrote:
fullerplast wrote: Not to crap on the thead - but I don't get the general fascination (not necessarily here) with this Nash guy. He's not a builder, he's an assembler. Nothing wrong with that, but how in the world did he gain a following?
Well put. I hesitated to write anything because it would seem like I was bashing him - but the way you expressed it is perfect. Nothing against the guy, but why are people paying $1000+ for a guitar made up of components which anyone can buy? Oh well.
+1 on that from this corner.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:15 am

I'm amazed that Fender hasn't quashed him.  They seem to go to great lengths to protect their trademark and this Nash guy is making straight bootleg copies and selling them for a ton o' dough.  Not that I care one way or the other, I just find it odd that he's been allowed to continue.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:21 am

yeah, that´s really odd.  ???

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:24 am

Well, he uses licensed parts available to the public, and I don't believe he sells them originally with a Fender decal on them. He doesn't advertise them as a Fender product. I don't think they (Fender) have any recourse.
Q. Are we not men?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:26 am

Jay wrote: I'm amazed that Fender hasn't quashed him.  They seem to go to great lengths to protect their trademark and this Nash guy is making straight bootleg copies and selling them for a ton o' dough.  Not that I care one way or the other, I just find it odd that he's been allowed to continue.
Actually I think they have. Check out the tone of this disclaimer from his website:

I do not sell Fender® guitars and I am in no way affiliated with FMIC / Fender®. Parts that look like Fender® designs are MFG under license by Fender. In fact, I am in no way affiliated with anyone or anything except for my wife and kids. If you are actually reading this much stuff on my site, please stop, turn off the computer and find something more fun to do with your time. A portion of the proceeds from your purchase may go to support the complete dismantling of the US Government. I have had enough taxation without representation - how about you? Are you better off than you were 10 years ago?

Since you are still reading on, turn in your cable TV box, unplug your television and seek healthy connections with other human beings. Stop ingesting the manipulations of corporations who's sole function is to make you feel inadequate without buying their products and ideas. A bigger wallet, faster car, smaller waistband or younger spouse will not make you happy.

Fender®, Strat®, Stratocaster®, Relic®, Tele®, and Telecaster® are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corp. Nashguitars is in no way affiliated with FMIC and no Fender® warranty applies. Some headstock designs are trademarked by Fender Musical Instruments Corp. All necks available at Nashguitars using these headstock designs are licensed by Fender®.

The Nashguitars custom shop is in the business of custom building & superior aging of guitars and parts and is in no way implying that we are building or selling Fender® guitars. Some parts that I offer and or use are bought wholesale from Fender dealers and then put through my custom aging processes, therefore you may see a Fender logo or stamp, however these are not new Fender® parts and once again, no Fender® warranty applies. Nashguitars warranties all of these items.

Nah, he's not bitter!  :-\  Sounds like the rantings of someone who has been contacted by way too many lawyers.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:51 am

Hehe.  :)  That's a funny disclaimer and I agree with you on the probable origin of it.
Q. Are we not men?

NickH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickH » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:53 am

I believe he used to have Fender decals on his guitars, and I think he recieved a order to knock it off. I am really not bothered either way by his stuff, but I don't think I would ever buy. As for reasons others might I guess some like the look and don't have or want to invest the time to create their own.

n.