Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Maxivorarcher
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by Maxivorarcher » Sun May 23, 2010 6:56 am

Hey, this article mentions a johnny marr sig jag, anyone know anything about this? Nothing on fender website. Reckon its true or bollocks?
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 132162.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
exciting if it is true, will have to think about selling a kidney to finance one...there's always armed robbery of course

olywhite
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by olywhite » Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 am

If it's CIJ like the J Mascis it'd be somewhat affordable... :unsure:

Johnny Marr is great, but hard to understand why MBV is not next in line for a sig.

JazzmasterJonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzmasterJonny » Sun May 23, 2010 7:56 am

I read in an interview with Johnny in Guitarist magazine a few months ago that fender had approached him about something like this.

It'd be very cool, probably the white one he is always playing lately. I like that black one with all the stickers on it too!

Hopefully it'll be here soon!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 am

That article is a hoot. It has worrying accurate statements like this:
the Fender guitar continues to hold sway over our imaginations — even if it has become associated with wealthy middle-aged men harbouring rock-star fantasies.
Then within the same paragraph, follows it up with the banality of this:
An entire world has built up around Fenders, a world in which the model you play, the year it was made, even the colour of its finish, are all huge indications of who you are as a person.
It does that move between shallow artistspeak and deep factual insights a few times during the piece, but the good bits make up for it. My favourite part is where they point out how unliked offsets were. :)

The way vintage guitars are deified and mystified has always confused me, especially after actually playing some of the guitars from the so-called "golden period" of Gibson and Fender, so seeing why people think like that always makes for interesting reading. To me it's the innovation and passion of the great players that counts, regardless of their instrument. The article raises the same point. I just wish it was longer because it seems to conclude before it feels finished, probably as a way to hawk the book.

As for an official Marr sig Jag the reference seems to vague to be conclusive, more wistful thinking on behalf of the editor than anything else, perhaps a rumour he had the fact-checker substantiate only for it to turn out false, then forgot to remove later. The problem is even if there WAS a Marr Jag, how would it encompass the different versions he plays? As far as I remember none of his Jags are the same; different bridges and pickups etc. Signature models that are variations on a theme (i.e. Elvis Costello Jazzmaster) rather than original creations (i.e. Les Paul Standard) are almost always disappointing to those that would find them desirable. So they become cheap and unloved, only for starving artists to pick up and make a name with, suddenly everyone wants one... and so the cycle continues.
"Find the one who understands
Why we wait for pain to change us"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

Totoro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Totoro » Sun May 23, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd love a good signature of his 1963 vintage Jag, the black one with tort... Hopefully Japanese made and at a lower price than a black AVRI Jag...... Wishful thinking eh? ::)

I'd put money on it being the white one though, he seems to take the most pride over that.

In-Sound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by In-Sound » Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 pm

The Favorite

The Old Man

The Likely Winner

The Dark Horse

I just hope the Price Point will be reasonable.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun May 23, 2010 2:00 pm

i hope this is true.
but i think that for being a signature model it will have to be somehow special/unique/different from the standard jag... so i PRAY that it's the brownie one! :?

we'll see...

when's the next NAMM?

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

TheOndrakGuy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheOndrakGuy » Sun May 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Something tells me it'll be the white one.

Whenever I hear Johnny Marr, I instantly think of that guitar.

Having said that, I have a bit of a thing for white-on-white Jags...
"It's not f**ked, the electronics are reliced!"

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 pm

the others meh, but the brown one is very intersting

In-Sound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by In-Sound » Sun May 23, 2010 2:33 pm

According to Johnny Marr's site (where I got the pics) The brown one is actually a Jazzmaster with Jag wiring done by the Custom Shop. He used it on People As Places As People(Good sound). It's not technically a Jag but I figured the response would be good (Except for the buzzstop).

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Sun May 23, 2010 3:53 pm

im a big modest mouse fan but they really took a turn for the less good starting with the albumn with marr :(

Mitchell?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mitchell? » Sun May 23, 2010 4:12 pm

In-Sound wrote: Image
The Dark Horse
What a cool guitar. Fender will probably go for his white Jaguar though if they do make a Marr sig model.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Mon May 24, 2010 3:47 am

TheOndrakGuy wrote:Something tells me it'll be the white one.

Whenever I hear Johnny Marr, I instantly think of that guitar.

Having said that, I have a bit of a thing for white-on-white Jags...
+1, it looks like delicious ice cream to me. With more chrome bits to make it better than a white/white Strat.
In-Sound wrote:According to Johnny Marr's site (where I got the pics) The brown one is actually a Jazzmaster with Jag wiring done by the Custom Shop. He used it on People As Places As People(Good sound). It's not technically a Jag but I figured the response would be good (Except for the buzzstop).
In my case, ESPECIALLY the buzzstop. :P
"Find the one who understands
Why we wait for pain to change us"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

spaceversussound
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by spaceversussound » Mon May 24, 2010 4:40 am

olywhite wrote:If it's CIJ like the J Mascis it'd be somewhat affordable... :unsure:

Johnny Marr is great, but hard to understand why MBV is not next in line for a sig.
Kevin Shields is/was first in line for a signature model. he's still rewriting his signature on the back of the headstock, reconsidering placement, colour, size, orientation... i'm sure he'll figure it out soon.

JM JM has the potential to be nice but what I need is a Pete Kember jag with a vox repeater built in.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon May 24, 2010 4:46 am

spaceversussound wrote:Kevin Shields is/was first in line for a signature model. he's still rewriting his signature on the back of the headstock, reconsidering placement, colour, size, orientation... i'm sure he'll figure it out soon.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.