Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by andy_tchp » Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 pm

lexaunculpt wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:10 pm
Ok - so I literally have to do nothing besides pop the strings off and unscrew the existing guard? nothing with the PUPs or the bridge???
Being a Jaguar, you may need to loosen the screws on the chrome control plates so they have some 'wiggle' room while fitting the pickguard, both to allow the guard to fit, and also to get the alignment correct between the edges of the plates and the new guard. Then once everything is in place just tighten them back up.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

lexaunculpt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lexaunculpt » Tue May 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you so so much.- that makes perfect sense! I think I'm going to have to buy a mint one as well just to see how it looks!

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am

lexaunculpt wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:25 pm
Thank you so so much.- that makes perfect sense! I think I'm going to have to buy a mint one as well just to see how it looks!
If you go with Neagle Luthier, let me know how it looks! I've been considering a mint pickguard for my Olympic White Jag.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 pm
lexaunculpt wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:10 pm
Ok - so I literally have to do nothing besides pop the strings off and unscrew the existing guard? nothing with the PUPs or the bridge???
Being a Jaguar, you may need to loosen the screws on the chrome control plates so they have some 'wiggle' room while fitting the pickguard, both to allow the guard to fit, and also to get the alignment correct between the edges of the plates and the new guard. Then once everything is in place just tighten them back up.
yeah, the bridge needs to come off too.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

lexaunculpt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lexaunculpt » Fri May 29, 2020 6:53 pm

One more question (two actually) since I just opened the new JM Jag that I got in the mail.

1) The G string is buzzy (like that sitar fret buzz noise) Is there any easy fix for this or do I need to take it for a setup? (I know a lot of people mentioned that theirs were great right out of the case - and I don't know how or trust myself to do many adjustments to my guitars)

2) The trem arm doesn't REALLY stay in place..... it won't swing beyond the tone/volume controls but if it's above there - gravity takes over and it drops down.. is there something I'm missing on the way I inserted the trem arm into the guitar and it's not "catching" (if that's the word?)

Thanks so much!!

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 am

Hi

The easy one is probably the trem - the Staytrem arm on these needs a very firm push into the collet - it will clunk into place and then won't swing free at all, if it's anything like mine.

Does the G string sitar when fretted? if not, possibly a nut issue. If yes, check the bridge is centred and isn't leaning over one way or other so the string hits the edge of the bridge base. If that doesn't help, is the action really low - if it is, you can raise the bridge very slightly using the Allen key you should have with the guitar down the posts in the bridge - just a little quarter turn maybe to start with - that won't hurt anything.

See how you go...
All the cheeses....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 31, 2020 11:55 am

Beauty shot:

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sam » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 pm

^ that Sherwood green gets me every time!

Hypothetically, would an American Original 60s Jaguar neck fit on a Johnny Marr Jag body? I’m guessing the bridge might need to be subbed out for a 9.5 staytrem to account for the radius but was wondering if that’s all it would take.

I’ve been looking at some pics of older jags and am finding that Lake Placid Blue + binding is quite eye catching (imo).

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 pm

A nice photo of a nice looking guitar.

:)

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:55 am
Beauty shot:

Wow! That’s gorgeous! When I finally convince myself that I need a Jag, a JM jaguar in that finish will be the one!

lexaunculpt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickguard Red Tortoise Japan (will it work)

Post by lexaunculpt » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:08 pm

I absolutely love the red pickguard from the MIJ Jaguar '60s Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar........ does anyone know if it will work on the JM jag or if it CAN work with some minor tweaks? I'm looking to get close to the color I'm showing below and haven't found anything online - Spitfire looks good (and pricey) but still doesn't seem to have the bright bright red that the MIJ version has.

Here's a mockup I made of what I'm shooting for.... so I wanted to know if this MIJ 60s Vintage Reissue is the same PG as the JM model and if not... has anyone found a PG with this kind of saturated reds?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqlohk7cumwnx ... l.jpg?dl=0

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickguard Red Tortoise Japan (will it work)

Post by manwithtitties » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:35 am

lexaunculpt wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:08 pm
I absolutely love the red pickguard from the MIJ Jaguar '60s Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar........ does anyone know if it will work on the JM jag or if it CAN work with some minor tweaks? I'm looking to get close to the color I'm showing below and haven't found anything online - Spitfire looks good (and pricey) but still doesn't seem to have the bright bright red that the MIJ version has.

Here's a mockup I made of what I'm shooting for.... so I wanted to know if this MIJ 60s Vintage Reissue is the same PG as the JM model and if not... has anyone found a PG with this kind of saturated reds?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqlohk7cumwnx ... l.jpg?dl=0
Japan fit pickguards wont fit on american jaguars. Look for the cheapest nastiest red tort or even red pearl pickguards on aliexpress, that mention “for us guitars”. That will probably get you very close

sam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 pm

I recently acquired this beauty through Craigslist of all places

There's a bit of wear on the back of the body but it plays comfortably and the neck is amazing. It does have the older bridge and I've experienced the issue with the E strings every now and again so I'll probably switch it out for a Staytrem or Mastery (I've ordered the latter considering Staytrem isn't shipping to the US currently).

Other than that I fully see this guitar replacing my LPB JM Jag as my number one. For now I'll probably keep the LPB as a backup but it's hard to play anything but the Sherwood Green Jag right now.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am

Looks great!
sam wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 pm

There's a bit of wear on the back of the body but it plays comfortably and the neck is amazing. It does have the older bridge and I've experienced the issue with the E strings every now and again so I'll probably switch it out for a Staytrem or Mastery (I've ordered the latter considering Staytrem isn't shipping to the US currently).

Other than that I fully see this guitar replacing my LPB JM Jag as my number one. For now I'll probably keep the LPB as a backup but it's hard to play anything but the Sherwood Green Jag right now.

DrPete
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrPete » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:06 am

sam wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Health to enjoy! Gorgeous color!