Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
OutToDrift
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by OutToDrift » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am

seawalker wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am
OutToDrift wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 am
jasonpetzold wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:03 am
Hmm, something is up. Or these are refinishes Stratosphere got a hold of? There was a body a couple days ago too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-USA-Fende ... cvip-panel

weird because Marr has said he doesn’t like matching headstocks before...maybe he has seen the light?

Ps - I may or may not be making a NGD post soon... :ph34r:
If this was the "Sherwood green" JM Jaguar neck, it was a refinish. I purchased it from Stratosphere along with the body. Turns out the neck and body were from a 2018 Olympic White model. I e-mailed Fender just to confirm that there were no newer Sherwood green models, especially with matching headstocks being made. The rep I got a reply from confirmed that they have not made any new Sherwood green Johnny Marr Jaguars. The shade of green was far off from Fender's Sherwood. I e-mailed Stratosphere because A.) Fender confirmed it was a refinish and B.) the neck and the body both had damage not described in the listing. Stratosphere assured me that the paint was not refinished and disregarded the e-mails I got from Fender. I sent the pieces back because I wasn't paying that much for being sold parts sold to me in mint condition but arriving damaged. Stratosphere then relisted the neck and body and once again failed to mention that the body and neck were refinished and damaged.

Buyer beware.
Whoa, that's concerning. Stratosphere refinishing bodies in desirable/limited edition colors to upcharge for them...?
Maybe they didn't paint it, maybe they did. I have no idea. But someone did repaint that guitar and Stratosphere very much insisted that it was original despite all the evidence I presented to them.

Talesmusic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Talesmusic » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 am

FenderBob wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 am
Talesmusic wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:00 am
Here is my Johnny Marr Jaguar with Spitfire tort!

Very Nice! Did the spitfire need any sanding or modifying or was it a clean swap with the factory guard?
No sanding or modifying needed! Looks really nice (pictures can not do it justice)

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 am

Finally installed my Spitfire guard on my Marr Jaguar. Here's a few pics.

sam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sam » Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 am

That looks fantastic, which colour / style is that? I’ve been tempted to order but can’t tell which I like best based on the mockups.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun May 03, 2020 2:27 pm

sam wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 am
That looks fantastic, which colour / style is that? I’ve been tempted to order but can’t tell which I like best based on the mockups.
Thx! This is a bright red/vintage burgundy speckled 60's.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Meriphew wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 am

WOW! I wish I could get one just like that to be a bro to my Sherwood Green one. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm

It's hard to imagine that there would be a betterlooking tort guard to go with that colour guitar.

It looks amazing !

:)

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun May 03, 2020 5:36 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:13 pm
Meriphew wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 am

WOW! I wish I could get one just like that to be a bro to my Sherwood Green one. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
That would be a rad combo.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun May 03, 2020 5:37 pm

windmill wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm
It's hard to imagine that there would be a betterlooking tort guard to go with that colour guitar.

It looks amazing !

Thx! I’m happy with the results.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 pm

That is one of the nicest looking Jags I've ever seen. Wow.

unkilledbear
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unkilledbear » Wed May 06, 2020 4:07 am

Hi everybody,

First of all, congratulations on this forum! Being new to offsets I have learn tons of valuable insights from you.

Here in continental Europe (I'm based in Barcelona) we do not have a lot of American Jags, let alone JM Jags, so finding a Sherwood JM Jag that I set my eye on was not an easy task and took me a few months. There was (and still is at the time of writing) one on sale on Reverb in Berlin for 2800 euros, which I find rather crazy even for a limited run model. So I was trying my luck on different country-specific buy-and-sell platforms (Wallapop in Spain, Zikinf in France, etc.) and finally found one on a Polish website olx.pl for what seemed an acceptable price to me. The guy who was selling it told me he had a pawn shop and invests in guitars among other things. He told me he had bought the Jag in mint condition three years ago and it was mostly sitting in the case since then. I did some additional research on his pawn shop and also asked a Polish friend to call him and get a feeling whether she thinks he could be trusted. After concluding that the guy was legit, I did something most people would probably not do and just made a direct bank transfer to his account in Poland. The next day he confirmed that he received the money and sent me pictures of the very-well packed guitar ready for shipping. Fast forward a few days and I heard a ring on the interphone with the delivery agent informing me that due to Covid restriction he will just put the parcel in the elevator and send it upstairs. I went to the elevator, the doors opened and there it was, the Jag arrived :)

The guitar was indeed in mint condition and one could see that it has not been played a lot. The rosewood was rather dry, the neck and the bridge required some adjustments, basically nothing beyond the usual set-up of a new guitar. One thing I was anticipating after reading this forum was the bridge width issue. I was planning to get a 52mm Staytrem, but as you know these are now hard to get (right now there is only one on sale on Reverb for 200 euros!). I therefore asked my girlfriend who makes jewelry if it was possible to file the existing saddles to reduce the string spacing and to my surprise she said it was totally doable. So she nicely filed the e, B, A and E saddles and now I have a custom bridge with 51 mm E-E spacing (11mm between G and D and 10mm between other strings). Next, I noticed that the pick guard was warped (probably because of temperature changes). I took it off, warmed it up with a hairdryer and pressed it with a heavy book. The pickguard became flat but then it did not want to fit back, so I asked my girlfriend for help again and she carefully filed the edge that did not fit. As a bonus she also filed the little round cut in the pickguard so I could have easier access to the truss rod. After these "mods" and adjusting the truss rod, bridge height and intonation the guitar plays super smooth. I really love the neck, which is by far the most comfortable I ever played. Before playing it, I was a bit worried about the vintage 7.25 radius, but actually I must say that I really dig it and the compound 9-14 radius on my Strat Deluxe now feels too flat. I have smaller hands and do not do any shredding, so I find the combination of a slightly thicker neck and a rounder fretboard just perfect. A lot was already written about the sound of the JM Jag and I can only confirm that it is very articulate, tight and authentic. Chords and melody lines sound fantastic and I also feel that this guitar is conducive to musical exploration and experimentation.

And finally, some pictures of the guitar and the "bridge modding"!

Stay safe and best regards from Barcelona,
Igor

Subotnik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subotnik » Wed May 06, 2020 10:54 am

Congrats on the new JM Jag! That's quite a journey you made to find your new guitar.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Wed May 06, 2020 3:32 pm

windmill wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm

It looks amazing !

Thx!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Wed May 06, 2020 3:33 pm

Congrats! I can't see your pics though.
unkilledbear wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:07 am
Hi everybody,

First of all, congratulations on this forum! Being new to offsets I have learn tons of valuable insights from you.

Here in continental Europe (I'm based in Barcelona) we do not have a lot of American Jags, let alone JM Jags, so finding a Sherwood JM Jag that I set my eye on was not an easy task and took me a few months. There was (and still is at the time of writing) one on sale on Reverb in Berlin for 2800 euros, which I find rather crazy even for a limited run model. So I was trying my luck on different country-specific buy-and-sell platforms (Wallapop in Spain, Zikinf in France, etc.) and finally found one on a Polish website olx.pl for what seemed an acceptable price to me. The guy who was selling it told me he had a pawn shop and invests in guitars among other things. He told me he had bought the Jag in mint condition three years ago and it was mostly sitting in the case since then. I did some additional research on his pawn shop and also asked a Polish friend to call him and get a feeling whether she thinks he could be trusted. After concluding that the guy was legit, I did something most people would probably not do and just made a direct bank transfer to his account in Poland. The next day he confirmed that he received the money and sent me pictures of the very-well packed guitar ready for shipping. Fast forward a few days and I heard a ring on the interphone with the delivery agent informing me that due to Covid restriction he will just put the parcel in the elevator and send it upstairs. I went to the elevator, the doors opened and there it was, the Jag arrived :)

The guitar was indeed in mint condition and one could see that it has not been played a lot. The rosewood was rather dry, the neck and the bridge required some adjustments, basically nothing beyond the usual set-up of a new guitar. One thing I was anticipating after reading this forum was the bridge width issue. I was planning to get a 52mm Staytrem, but as you know these are now hard to get (right now there is only one on sale on Reverb for 200 euros!). I therefore asked my girlfriend who makes jewelry if it was possible to file the existing saddles to reduce the string spacing and to my surprise she said it was totally doable. So she nicely filed the e, B, A and E saddles and now I have a custom bridge with 51 mm E-E spacing (11mm between G and D and 10mm between other strings). Next, I noticed that the pick guard was warped (probably because of temperature changes). I took it off, warmed it up with a hairdryer and pressed it with a heavy book. The pickguard became flat but then it did not want to fit back, so I asked my girlfriend for help again and she carefully filed the edge that did not fit. As a bonus she also filed the little round cut in the pickguard so I could have easier access to the truss rod. After these "mods" and adjusting the truss rod, bridge height and intonation the guitar plays super smooth. I really love the neck, which is by far the most comfortable I ever played. Before playing it, I was a bit worried about the vintage 7.25 radius, but actually I must say that I really dig it and the compound 9-14 radius on my Strat Deluxe now feels too flat. I have smaller hands and do not do any shredding, so I find the combination of a slightly thicker neck and a rounder fretboard just perfect. A lot was already written about the sound of the JM Jag and I can only confirm that it is very articulate, tight and authentic. Chords and melody lines sound fantastic and I also feel that this guitar is conducive to musical exploration and experimentation.

And finally, some pictures of the guitar and the "bridge modding"!

Stay safe and best regards from Barcelona,
Igor

sam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sam » Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Unfortunately can’t see the pics either. Congrats on the new JM jag though! Bonus points for the sleuthing to uncover one in Sherwood Green.