I just played a J. Mascis Sig JM.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
woody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I just played a J. Mascis Sig JM.

Post by woody » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 pm

A very nice guitar! It is not supposed to be released until after summer NAMM, but this particular shop just happened to have one. Unfortunately, the owner was not around and the employee helping me was clueless about any of the details regarding pup type, etc. It sounded excellent through a DRRI, the vibrato worked great with the T.O.M. bridge, the neck was fatter than the AVRI Jag neck I compared it to and it had a satin finish.It felt great. The only thing identifying it as a sig model were the intials  " J.M"  on the back of the headstock. I am debating whether or not to go back and get it or hold out for an AVRI. Decisions, decisions...

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I just played a J. Mascis Sig JM.

Post by blueavenger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm

woody wrote: I am debating whether or not to go back and get it or hold out for an AVRI. Decisions, decisions...
Is this really going to be a hard choice for anyone?!  Definitely a Ginger vs. Maryanne decision.  I'm not putting down either guitar, just saying it ain't  a "Hmmmm...  Surf Green or SeaFoam Green?" decision.  It's a sparkly purple guitar with a gold guard and fat frets.  If it's for you it's for you.  If it's not for you it's not for you.  The only decision I can see is is it worth the extra bucks for the paint, guard, neck and bridge.  In my life the answer is no.  I can use the extra money on pedals and I honestly don't think anything cooler than a white jag with tort, or a burst jazz with tort has ever strummed the face of the earth.

But if you can afford the extra coin:  GET IT FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!  YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!!! :-*  Besides, you know each guitar is unique.  If you're sure it's a "good one", it'd be a shame to pass it up for an average one down the road
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...

woody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woody » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 pm

It's not that expensive. Around $700 U.S. with a bag. I'd like to know what pups are in it though...

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:17 pm

blueavenger wrote: The only decision I can see is is it worth the extra bucks for the paint, guard, neck and bridge.  In my life the answer is no.  I can use the extra money on pedals and I honestly don't think anything cooler than a white jag with tort, or a burst jazz with tort has ever strummed the face of the earth.
I was under the impression that the JM JM is significantly less expensive than an AVRI.

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:20 pm

woody wrote: It's not that expensive. Around $700 U.S. with a bag. I'd like to know what pups are in it though...
Ohhhh... I haven't followed it closely because i don't do the sig guitar thing.  I just assumed it was a moded AVRI.  But at that price, if it played well?  Shoot.  A used CIJ is going for that right now!  Kinda explains his earlier reference to not playing one on stage though... 
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...

woody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woody » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm

I don't do the sig thing either. Hell, I didn't even know who Mascis was until recently. All that aside, I've been looking for a JM, and I don't mind the color, but I'd rather have an AVRI.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Where are you located?  Just curious, as I'd like to try one out if they're floating around here in the East Coast/Mid-Atlantic States!

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 pm

I'm in the market for a Jazzmaster and I'd probably buy this if it wasn't such a shitty color.
Last edited by Pumpkin on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm

hmm this is aweswome, can't wait for it to get released.

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:44 pm

now i have to say i'm going to probably snatch one of these up. not because its a jm sig. i really dont care for dinosaur jr. but i love the purple sparkle finish with the gold gaurd. to me those are the types of colors i'm in to. and for 700 probably 650 if it's a store you go to alot i think it's a steal.
go sabres!!!!!!!!!!!

spacewhale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacewhale » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 am

Theres definately 2 sides with signature guitars. Either you buy it because you love the artist and just want 'what he's got' or you actually like the guitar itself as a unique variant. I don't care for J.M. or the finish too much. I like the idea of larger frets and maybe the gold guard. I think when the frets on my CIJ JM wear down I might replace them with slightly bigger ones.

Apart from a Thurston signature I can't really see any further sig. JM possibilities.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:35 am

spacewhale wrote: Theres definately 2 sides with signature guitars. Either you buy it because you love the artist and just want 'what he's got' or you actually like the guitar itself as a unique variant. I don't care for J.M. or the finish too much. I like the idea of larger frets and maybe the gold guard. I think when the frets on my CIJ JM wear down I might replace them with slightly bigger ones.

Apart from a Thurston signature I can't really see any further sig. JM possibilities.
a thurston moore sig JM would be kinda pointless IMO. since he uses so many different guitars it would be hard coming up with one that sums it all up. lee ranaldo on the other hand has more or less invented a new breed of offset; the jazzblaster, so it would make more sense to me if fender made one of those.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:48 am

I could see an Elvis Costello sig JM too.....

and is that guy from Incubus playing them nowadays (I think I read somewhere that he does)
Resident Spartan.

woody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woody » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:52 am

cmatthes wrote: Where are you located?  Just curious, as I'd like to try one out if they're floating around here in the East Coast/Mid-Atlantic States!
I'm in Illinois, far from any cities. That's why it is so difficult to find any offsets. It was a fluke to walk in the shop looking for an offset knowing the odds were against finding one, and the first thing I saw was this sparkly purple and gold thing hanging on the wall in an individual display case, like a rarity or something. I thought it was Custom Shop or vintage. They also had a CAR AVRI Jag. Like I said earlier, the kid at the shop knew nothing about the guitar other than the shop owner got it through a fender rep earlier than he should have. He then quoted me a price of $720.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:07 am

I like that guitar, if I had to buy another CIJ probabily I will buy it..F**k the sig./non-sig. problem I never get this kind of problem to myself..it's always a guitar with six strings for me..
Anyway I won't buy another CIJ Jm since I simply already have one, and the next for me I think will be a vintage one or maybe a totally different guitar..(I don't know).
Anyway I'm seriously GASing for a beefier neck, that could be less expensive too, I'm just a poor student ::)..

:P
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?