..a Bass VI & Coronado XII video...Jack Frost

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

..a Bass VI & Coronado XII video...Jack Frost

Post by glimmertwin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNIkG6D15s

...spotted this one somewhat randomly when I was searching through some old Go Betweens links.  Pretty cool Bass VI and Coronado...

Never heard of Jack Frost until now(I guess it was a collaboration between Grant and Steve Kilby of the Church)...but I have really been into the very first 78-79 "lost album" of the Go Betweens.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: ..a Bass VI & Coronado XII video...Jack Frost

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:55 pm

Starfish found that one a couple of months back but it bears repeating. There's a bit of info on that particular VI around here as well, it belongs to Kilbey and is on a few Church records (plus the video to Ripple IIRC).

Jack Frost was Steve Kilbey and Grant McLennan as you say. They did two albums, both of which are pretty good (great in places) and available through John Kilbey's label Karmic Hit. Some other cool stuff on that label too.

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:33 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Starfish found that one a couple of months back but it bears repeating. There's a bit of info on that particular VI around here as well, it belongs to Kilbey and is on a few Church records (plus the video to Ripple IIRC).

Jack Frost was Steve Kilbey and Grant McLennan as you say. They did two albums, both of which are pretty good (great in places) and available through John Kilbey's label Karmic Hit. Some other cool stuff on that label too.

:)
Cool - I must have missed it a while back...I figured someone would have posted it but I didn't see it in the search - thanks!
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Pretty cool. 

This latest round of Bass VI videos on the board here shows a lot of fingerstyle playing, which is actually pretty tough on the Bass VI with the narrow neck (and I'm a bass player).  I generally play mine with a pick, but there's some great sounds here (don't know if the recording was actually fingerstyle though).

What's nice about the Bass VI is with the short scale and somewhat lighter strings you can really manhandle it if you want to.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

woster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woster » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 am

I sometimes play fingerstyle too, especially when playing with a pick sounds a bit thin for low end bass lines. It's still a challenge though. I played a Musicman Stingray bass for over ten years, and compared to that the VI neck feels very tiny. But a like a challenge, so that's a good thing  :)

And Jack Frost is a lucky guy with a beautiful guitar like that  :-*
Last edited by woster on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starfish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starfish » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:51 pm

mezcalhead wrote: There's a bit of info on that particular VI around here as well, it belongs to Kilbey and is on a few Church records (plus the video to Ripple IIRC).
Sadly, Kilbey was about to pawn it when he was still on the junk and Marty Willson-Piper smartly bought it from him.  Kilbey's clean (5 years?) and now plays a CS 1964 Jazz Bass.  Nice instrument too.  Ironically Grant 's to blame for his former little problem.  I also fear there's more to Grant's death than we've been lead to believe.

Great song by two talented songwriters and thanks to Glimmertwin for reposting it!
Last edited by starfish on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.