50th Anniversary Jaguar Has Arrived!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
chipbutty24
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 50th Anniversary Jaguar Has Arrived!

Post by chipbutty24 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:36 pm

fullerplast wrote:
As long as Fender is turning a profit, they couldn't case less about staying true to a particular guitars heritage.[\quote]

Exactly my point.
I agree with the romantic notion that something so cool shouldn't be messed with but hey no reason why there can't be a model for the more forward thinking offset enthusiast.
There already IS the CP Jag with these specs. "Forward thinking" is subjective. Look, some like it, some don't. It doesn't give you any higher ground or cool points because you happen to like it.
The CP is MIM. I like that this is an MIA. No I'm not looking for cool points my opinion just differs from yours. Would'nt life be boring if we all thought the same way. I do appreciate your attempt at sarcasm though.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:52 pm

I do appreciate your attempt at sarcasm though.
And I appreciate your passive-aggression. ::)
Q. Are we not men?

chipbutty24
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chipbutty24 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:54 pm

fullerplast wrote:
I do appreciate your attempt at sarcasm though.
And I appreciate your passive-aggression.
Not at all sir. My apologies if It sounded that way.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm

fullerplast wrote: [ There already IS the CP Jag with these specs.
Seems that way to me too, are we missing something? But with one exception.. since the time I got my CP, I've been wishing they made one with a B& B neck. Seems like now they do, this one.

The "vintage-style" ones you guys are getting all teary-eyed over are still being made, they are referred to as "AVRI", no worries on that count. Those guitars were non-starters for me, when I was looking, because I wanted a flatter radius and bigger frets than vintage style shortscale Fenders such as my Musicmaster came with. These new models were definitely an "improvement" from my perspective, without these different neck specs I wouldn't have purchased a Jaguar at all. No matter where the bridge was located.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm surprised that this anniversary model didn't get released with a tune-o-matic bridge/stop-tailpiece and Atomic humbuckers, as over the past few years Fender have clearly decided these are 'improvements' on a Jaguar too... ::)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 am

andy_tchp wrote:I'm surprised that this anniversary model didn't get released with a tune-o-matic bridge/stop-tailpiece and Atomic humbuckers, as over the past few years Fender have clearly decided these are 'improvements' on a Jaguar too...
They've offered some versions with both those features, some with none of them, some with one or the other.
They are offering differing versions now, not just "one size fits all". I still don't get why some people think that's a bad thing. Obviously not all models will appeal to all players; so for example the original version didn't appeal to me. I don't criticize Fender for that fact though, actually I applaud them for expanding the available menu. Even if I don't happen to prefer each and every iteration they are putting out. Others evidently do prefer them, and I, for one, don't begrudge them their own personal choices, when at the same time Fender continues to make available other versions that I prefer.

But you did remind me/us of some other differences betweeen this model and the CP. So I guess the CP does not, actually exactly have these specs, as fullerplast asserted and I agreed.

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:47 pm

I did not mean to start a debate over mods to the Jaguar Heck with all the pickup options I offer for the offset I would be the biggest hypocrite for arguing the purist. I have a real love for the offsets b/c they can be so versatile heck before I came along there were only a few companies that actually made Jazzmaster pickups, and those we JUST traditional jazzmaster pickup. There were no P-90, 180, PAF, WideRange, Mosrite, FAT, Goldfoil, Tele, and on and on. My comment was NOT that the pickups was a variant, it was that it seemed strange that they would make a 50th anniversary that's purpose was to this year honor the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar, and not make it true to vintage. There are other Jaguar models that I think model more to making "improvements"
curtis

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 am

I've been fighting my lust for the LPB one...I don't think I'm going to avoid it.

I really want one of these, but at that price it seems like it really should have a matching headstock. I wonder how closely the reranch LPB would match the body...

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 am

I diddled around with one at namm. The finish isn't like an AVRI; it's very thick and sticky (but SOOPER glossy) in comparison. Polyester or something. The neck on the one I played was very pale in color, too- seemed weird. And (this is just off of memory, as I didn't do a side by side comparison) I think the trem might even be CLOSER than on a CP. I own a CP and am very use to the aesthetics, but this thing even looked scrunched up. I'm not trying to knock the guitar, just vocalizing my first impressions. I'd buy the BMM
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 am

Well shoot. I may just build one and order a block and bound neck.

xlat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by xlat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:52 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:I diddled around with one at namm. The finish isn't like an AVRI; it's very thick and sticky (but SOOPER glossy) in comparison. Polyester or something. The neck on the one I played was very pale in color, too- seemed weird. And (this is just off of memory, as I didn't do a side by side comparison) I think the trem might even be CLOSER than on a CP. I own a CP and am very use to the aesthetics, but this thing even looked scrunched up. I'm not trying to knock the guitar, just vocalizing my first impressions. I'd buy the BMM

Hmm now you making me worried. I was going to buy one of these and the finish is a huge selling point for me since getting a BMM jag is something I wanted a long time. According to Fenders own page the finish is only "Lacquer" (same goes for Marr-Jag) and not listed as nitro (Nitrocellulose Lacquer) as on the AVRI. However, I'm not clever enough to understand what the difference is, eg. what lacquer do you usually mean when just writing it like that? Acrylic?

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 am

xlat wrote:
andrewdoeshair wrote:I diddled around with one at namm. The finish isn't like an AVRI; it's very thick and sticky (but SOOPER glossy) in comparison. Polyester or something. The neck on the one I played was very pale in color, too- seemed weird. And (this is just off of memory, as I didn't do a side by side comparison) I think the trem might even be CLOSER than on a CP. I own a CP and am very use to the aesthetics, but this thing even looked scrunched up. I'm not trying to knock the guitar, just vocalizing my first impressions. I'd buy the BMM

Hmm now you making me worried. I was going to buy one of these and the finish is a huge selling point for me since getting a BMM jag is something I wanted a long time. According to Fenders own page the finish is only "Lacquer" (same goes for Marr-Jag) and not listed as nitro (Nitrocellulose Lacquer) as on the AVRI. However, I'm not clever enough to understand what the difference is, eg. what lacquer do you usually mean when just writing it like that? Acrylic?
To be honest, I handled the guitar for about 7 seconds, and it was immediately after meeting Green Day, so I may have had my head on funny, and may not have formulated the most accurate review. It was, again, just first impressions... Like looking now at subconscious mind photos and recalling my gut feelings...
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 am

xlat wrote:According to Fenders own page the finish is only "Lacquer" (same goes for Marr-Jag) and not listed as nitro (Nitrocellulose Lacquer) as on the AVRI. However, I'm not clever enough to understand what the difference is, eg. what lacquer do you usually mean when just writing it like that? Acrylic?
According to http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LPB and BMM were always acrylic lacquer. Fender used both originally, especially on most of the metallic colors. CAR was Fender's own formula/process, so I don't know what they are doing to get that color these days. Essentially, anytime you see "Lucite" (Dupont's trade name for acrylic lacquer) then it is acrylic lacquer and not nitro. Just saying this in case some may think that Fender only used nito, and that acrylic lacquer is somehow not legit.

Maybe Fender just says "lacquer" in their descriptions to cover both types. I don't know. Then again, some vintage snobs would argue that what Fender is calling "nitrocellulose" these days is hardly worthy of the term. But that is another conversation, I guess . . .

xlat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by xlat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am

scottT wrote: According to http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LPB and BMM were always acrylic lacquer. Fender used both originally, especially on most of the metallic colors. CAR was Fender's own formula/process, so I don't know what they are doing to get that color these days. Essentially, anytime you see "Lucite" (Dupont's trade name for acrylic lacquer) then it is acrylic lacquer and not nitro. Just saying this in case some may think that Fender only used nito, and that acrylic lacquer is somehow not legit.

Maybe Fender just says "lacquer" in their descriptions to cover both types. I don't know. Then again, some vintage snobs would argue that what Fender is calling "nitrocellulose" these days is hardly worthy of the term. But that is another conversation, I guess . . .

Ah that makes perfect sense. Cleverness slightly increased. Thanks!
Wish I could actually play one before ordering, but slim chance that any store around here will decide to stock it.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am

xlat wrote:Wish I could actually play one before ordering, but slim chance that any store around here will decide to stock it.
Yea, I have the same problem. My local shop won't even get CP offsets in. Barely anyone around here even knows that Fender builds anything besides Teles and Strats. When I would play a show with my jazzmaster, people would ask me what the hell it was and that it must be a new fender model. :P
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.