Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Post by blake480 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 am

meltedbuzzbox wrote:
spindizzy wrote:Shouldn't the headstock stripe on the Cherryburst be red?

Looks like they cheaped out and made them all black - these do look like a re-issue designed by an accountant
Haters gonna hate!

Given the price difference between the reissues and the original I am happy to let such a minor thing slide
Exactly. Its a FRICKIN' Starcaster reissue for $699! I can't find one thing to complain about. Yeah exactly to vintage specs would be amazing. But hey... its damn close. It captures the look, for a fraction of the price. And maybe if these do well, they will make an AVRI version.

zastruga
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zastruga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 am

blake480 wrote:
meltedbuzzbox wrote:
spindizzy wrote:Shouldn't the headstock stripe on the Cherryburst be red?

Looks like they cheaped out and made them all black - these do look like a re-issue designed by an accountant
Haters gonna hate!

Given the price difference between the reissues and the original I am happy to let such a minor thing slide
Exactly. Its a FRICKIN' Starcaster reissue for $699! I can't find one thing to complain about. Yeah exactly to vintage specs would be amazing. But hey... its damn close. It captures the look, for a fraction of the price. And maybe if these do well, they will make an AVRI version.
But I want a perfectly vintage accurate reissue for $20!!!!! Is that really too much to ask for?

beatkitchenfunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beatkitchenfunk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

So, black, natural, and the redburst are the finishes. Was there an earlier report of a regular sunburst finish, too?

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 am

I would have to think that these will drive the price down on the vintage ones somewhat. I mean there wasn't a choice in the past, if you wanted one you had to pay what they were going for on Ebay. I think very few people will pay the huge price difference for a vintage starcaster when most will be happy with one of these. It will be interesting to watch. If a vintage model gets in the below $2000 range I would probably jump, but I can't see how a 70's Fender flop should be getting more than that. I love them and all, but we are a minority in the guitar world.

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am

gutter rock wrote:I would have to think that these will drive the price down on the vintage ones somewhat. I mean there wasn't a choice in the past, if you wanted one you had to pay what they were going for on Ebay. I think very few people will pay the huge price difference for a vintage starcaster when most will be happy with one of these. It will be interesting to watch. If a vintage model gets in the below $2000 range I would probably jump, but I can't see how a 70's Fender flop should be getting more than that. I love them and all, but we are a minority in the guitar world.
I totally agree. I think princes will come way down. I've always wanted one. But told myself I'd never pay over $2000 for one. I just can't see them keeping their $4000 range price tag when these come out.

You can grab a vintage tele deluxe for around $2000ish. Starcaster should be the same after the reissue.

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am

beatkitchenfunk wrote:So, black, natural, and the redburst are the finishes. Was there an earlier report of a regular sunburst finish, too?
That is what I was originally told. But it is just the 3 it looks like. No regular burst.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 am

Pacafeliz wrote:i sent a question if they REALLY have/want to charge 200 to ship to mexico.
we'll see if he replies...
Shipping is discounted at the $199 price. It is actually $250+ to ship. So it is discounted. We only have a few of these left on order.

Cheers,

Mason

:-/
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Puisheen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puisheen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 am

blake480 wrote:
gutter rock wrote:I would have to think that these will drive the price down on the vintage ones somewhat. I mean there wasn't a choice in the past, if you wanted one you had to pay what they were going for on Ebay. I think very few people will pay the huge price difference for a vintage starcaster when most will be happy with one of these. It will be interesting to watch. If a vintage model gets in the below $2000 range I would probably jump, but I can't see how a 70's Fender flop should be getting more than that. I love them and all, but we are a minority in the guitar world.
I totally agree. I think princes will come way down. I've always wanted one. But told myself I'd never pay over $2000 for one. I just can't see them keeping their $4000 range price tag when these come out.

You can grab a vintage tele deluxe for around $2000ish. Starcaster should be the same after the reissue.
God, I hope you're right...

offkeyericdee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offkeyericdee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 am

Puisheen wrote:
blake480 wrote:

God, I hope you're right...
I really hope not, honestly. I bought a vintage Starcaster earlier this year, confident the resale value would be as solid as its inner block.

It has Strat knobs, the 5th of which is friendlily labelled "Master." If only the reissues had one labelled "Apprentice," that would be spot on. :whistle:
"If it's not a Fender, you f**ked up!"
-1968 ad slogan

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:i sent a question if they REALLY have/want to charge 200 to ship to mexico.
Shipping is discounted at the $199 price. It is actually $250+ to ship. So it is discounted. We only have a few of these left on order.

Cheers,

Mason

Te presto mi dirección en PR si quieres... he'll ship free to me.

offkeyericdee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offkeyericdee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am

Pacafeliz wrote:

Cheers,

Mason
Have you tried ordering through a different shop? I'm getting my Starcaster Bass through Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin. They're exceptional when it comes to new Fender stuff...and old Fender stuff...and pretty much everything. I'm unsure of their shipping prices though.
"If it's not a Fender, you f**ked up!"
-1968 ad slogan

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 am

blake480 wrote:

I'm not so sure, at least if it follows the trend of tele deluxes: the vintage ones were almost reasonable before the reissues came out. Now a real deal is about twice as much as it was before the reissues. (Caveat: it's also been about ten (?) years, so there is the normal inflation for vintage guitar prices. Maybe the original tele deluxes are more expensive now because they are relatively that many years more "vintage").

Or, to restate the question:
Do reissues drive up the price of the "real deal"? (Worth following: Coronado, Guild Starfire II/IV, Starcaster, etc)

Djdubed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Djdubed » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 am

Fender bringing the Starcaster back is a real dream come true and I love it in black! I think adding a Bigbsy B5 and Vibramate would be really cool & easy![/quote]
would the b5 fit as arnt starcasters arch topped??

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am

With the vibramate it doesn't matter, since it uses the inserts from the stopbar. It works on a ES335 as well

I admit it looks a bit funky, but the ES335 from Ritchie Blackmore had the same installation (a B5 on an arched top)

zastruga
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zastruga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 pm

williamsanders127 wrote:I admit it looks a bit funky, but the ES335 from Ritchie Blackmore had the same installation (a B5 on an arched top)
Hey, looking a bit funky is the Starcaster's main selling point!