2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Post by MKR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:11 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Yeah, I have the same one and I'm looking for a replacement...not the best tort on these guys. I love the Red Spitfire vintage Torts but it seems like I'd be paying $300 to get one custom made from him. I've tried a few on eBay and none look as authentic or red enough for me.
i'm in the same boat. picked up a white squier VI after i sold my fender pawnshop VI.

I ended up buying a red tort pickguard from sneaky T off ebay. looked awesome in the pictures. It's in the mail, but i can't wait to put it on.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Plz post pics once you do!

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm

ManaT wrote:
blacktiger wrote:Slightly upgraded (though it was pretty great out of the box). Staytrem bridge, $20 black guard, full pocket shim. Even stock, these are amazing for the money.
Where did you get the $20 black guard if you don't mind me asking?
eBay.

Sorry for the late reply.
Thread killer

arska/s
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by arska/s » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 am

Hello,

I just joined osg because it looks like great site resource for a bassvi player. I thought I'd share my experience: I recently took of the tremolo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1t3- ... dpN2sybi1v

and put on just a clean back plate. As you can see in the pic, string ends sit closer to the bridge. I found that the increased string angle really adds sustain and some kind of character to the lower strings. I now have a buzz stopper waiting for installation. It'll do the same trick and I can have the trem available...

Charlylyly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Charlylyly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:59 am

Hi OSG people !
I know the Squier VI intonation problem have been treated over and over, but I still have a problem I can't fix and I haven't found or read much about it.
Lot of people have troubles with their low E string (as I do), but my concern is with the high E string.
I can't intonate it properly, the problem is merely the same as with the low E. As a result the high E string sounds "chorussy" just like the low E string. I've compared it with a friend's Squier VI, and he does not have this problem at all. He just had the regular low E intonation problem.
Also when I play an F# on the 14th fret on the E string I've got a huge lack of sustain (not caused by a fret buzz issue).
I'm using a Circle K 98-22 gauge Bass VI strings.

Here's a recording of my Bass VI. At first I play two E on the D and B string (which sounds normal), then I play the open E and 12th fret E on the high E string (which is the problematic string), and then I play on the low E string (which have the same problem).
The second part is the same thing with distortion, it makes it much more obvious (also I play the problematic F# note).
Also, I've dampened the strings before the nut and after the bridge while recording this example, ot see if the problem came from weird sympathetic vibrations, but it's still there.
https://soundcloud.com/charlys-laborato ... us-problem

I'm sorry if the high E problem has already been treated, but I'd like to use this guitar in a new band where I play a lot of leads, and right now it sounds quite awful due to this issue.
I hope this is the right place to post, I can move it to "Tech/Setup" if needed.
Thanks a lot !

PS : if anyone is interested in hearing the BassVI in a prog rock environment, I've used it all other my band's last album, here's an excerpt :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnMbJl6bB4M
Founder and only member of the Colin Marston fan club.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

When they exist I've addressed most of the ghost note/wolftone /behind the bridge overtones/lack of sustain on JM, Jags, and my Squier VI w/ neck shims to create a greater neck angle, allowing the raising of the bridge in turn creating greater string break angle from the saddles to the tailpiece while maintaining the same action height. The hardtail plate from Faction Guitar (or others) can also increase the break angle here.

IME this type of overtone can also be caused by rattly saddles. I usually replace the cheaper stock bridges on my pre-built offsets w/ a Staytrem or Mastery (for many reasons including that they generally have very tight tolerances and don't rattle) but you can also potentially address this problem w/ new saddles or potentially even just the intonation screw. Loc-tite or fingernail polish applied to the threads ahead and behind the problematic stock saddle(s) can tighten things up a bit to but need to be reapplied if you wind up needing to adjust the saddle.

Just my .02/ a couple of suggestions to consider.

Charlylyly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Charlylyly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey,
Thanks for the advice !
I'm going to buy a 1° shim from StewMac.com. The bridge has already been changed for a Mustang bridge, but I guess that's not enough. Still I don't have 80€ to spend on a bridge right now. :(

Also I was wondering if a lighter string gauge could help with this issue.
Thanks for the tips ! :)

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Charlylyly wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm
Hey,
Thanks for the advice !
I'm going to buy a 1° shim from StewMac.com. The bridge has already been changed for a Mustang bridge, but I guess that's not enough. Still I don't have 80€ to spend on a bridge right now. :(

Also I was wondering if a lighter string gauge could help with this issue.
Thanks for the tips ! :)
The Fender Mustang bridge is generally pretty good from the ones I've encountered, generally a lot better than the one that came on my Squier VI. You should be able to tell if it's rattling saddle by removing the string tension from it, jiggling the saddle, and seeing if it's wiggly on the screw. The whole screw should move rather than just the saddle on the screw.

Usually the lighter strings tend to contribute to this problem rather solve it from my experience w/ other offsets. Maybe try a spare .026 guitar string for the first string and see if it eliminates the issue? Could be fine w/ a .022 and it could just be a bad string in the set you have on there now, I only say that size in particular because that's what I've got on mine and it's been overtone free.

I'd personally grab a couple/few smaller angle shims unless you're really sure about the angle you'll need. Let's you fine tune things a bit more by stacking them.

Again just my .02 ;)

Charlylyly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Charlylyly » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey thanks for your tips.
I tried to change my string and the problem remains so it's not a bad string, but it was a good suggestion.
You're right about the shims, I've read since that 1° is already pretty huge. I think I'll buy a 0.50° and a 0.25° i one is not enough.
Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it !

Happy Christmas to SquierVI players and everyone on this forum ! :)

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Charlylily:

I've been having some of the same problems as you. So far I've switched the tremolo to a hardtail plate, added brass sleeves to the bridge posts to lock it in place, loctite-ed the saddle screws, and shimmed the neck (tried two different angles). None of these things have stopped the phantom vibration/buzzing.

I changed to a brass nut right when I bought my VI, and I honestly think the nut was cut improperly for my string gauges and that that might be the issue. I have another one on the way that I hope is cut right. Have you switched out your nut? If you have, and it was cut properly, I'm gonna be properly pissed, cuz I'm out of ideas. And I did a whooooole lotta work on mine before I really played it (see photo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWS0MAj0uZ ... _joy_of_vi

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Update:

I solved my buzzing issues!

After I made the above comment last night, I went digging around the forum and found the FAQ in the tech/setup section: http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtop ... f=7&t=3911

It said that buzzing will often happen when the bridge posts are resting against the metal holes they sit in. I remembered that when I installed my hardtail plate, I also installed two brass sleeves around the bridge posts to keep it from rocking back and forth, so I decided to take all of it apart again to see if there was any 'play' between the posts and the sleeves and the holes. And there was PLENTY. This setup I'd constructed was basically a buzz factory that robbed me of tone and sustain.

So first, I tried to wrap clear packing tape around the brass sleeves to get em snug in the holes, but even one layer was too thick. Masking tape was the same. I went and grabbed some of that 'teflon tape' that plumbers use, and bam! Nice and snug. From there, I went to town. I unscrewed the bridge's height adjustment screws and wrapped those puppies up good, then wrapped up the bridge posts themselves and threw it all back together. No more buzz!!! So stoked. I hope this helps anyone else with a buzzing bridge problem.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:32 am

Finally got around to putting Labella flats on.

They solved the floppy low E problem.

It sounds really good now.

Thanks for the recommendation

sdgails
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sdgails » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 am

Are these discontinued? I've been on the fence about these. Talk me into pulling the trigger :) Maybe this is the time to get one.

helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by helvetg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 am

sdgails wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 am
Are these discontinued? I've been on the fence about these. Talk me into pulling the trigger :) Maybe this is the time to get one.
I don't think they're discontinued totally. I think the White and Sunburst models in Indian Laurel are the only ones being produced ATM.
If you see one pop up for fairly cheap, I'd go for it. They can be great instruments. I never would have thought just having my guitar an octave lower would be that good, but I find myself just sitting back and playing some really cool stuff with it. For the total price I paid for mine, I'd say it was worth it, even though I'm still searching for a musical use for it outside of recreational enjoyment playing Cure type bass stuff.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:15 pm

I finally have a small window of time with modest resources to devote to gear, so I have a used Squier Bass VI on the way for just under the original retail price (and maybe a 1980 Pro Reverb for less than half price of an earlier silverface!). Of course I waited until getting Staytrem products is now extremely difficult in the US (cough cough). I read most of this epic thread a few years ago when I was GASing for one with no funds, now I'll have to reevaluate my bridge options. I got a Mastery for my Road Worn Jazzmaster, but can't see doing that for this VI though. Maybe I'll try Mustang saddles first, unless I can make a friend in the UK (ahem). I don't even know if I'm getting a bag or case with it, forgot to ask.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade