Re: How fast are you on a Jazzmaster?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

How fast are you on a Jazzmaster?

Post by zhivago » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:25 pm

assuming you are playing more traditional-stuff....how fast are you?

I dug up a dvd of Guns N' Roses playing at Rio back in 1991...I had no problem with 80% of the lead breaks...I was pretty much hitting things note-for-note...but there was a definite 20% that I just couldn't get up to on the Jazzmaster....I have noticed that I can play some pretty amazing lead stuff when I play Gibsons, for example....is it the neck radius that is killing me off when I get high up on the neck?

it just felt that I was hitting a ceiling...it definitely means I should practice my scales quite a bit more (it's personal now!)...but I was wondering...in general, how fast do you guys play on your offsets?

also, as a side-note...I find that I am more song-based on a Jazzmaster...whereas other guitars make me play a lot more traditionaly lead-guitarist stuff (I hate using the term, but everything comes out as Jimmy Page or something - and yes, I adore Led Zeppelin, sue me! ;D)

by the way, I am using 11s, and I was tuned down to Eb so I could play along on the sofa while watching
Resident Spartan.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:08 pm

I definitely play faster on my Epiphone LP, but that may mostly be cause that's the guitar i've had for two years and learned to play on.

I've never really done any speed exercises and most of the stuff i write has a pretty low BPM, the fastest song i can play is probably "Life And Limb" by Fugazi(and it's not very fast by anyones standards). I have played that song countless times on the LP and can pretty much nail it in my sleep, but on the Jazzy i really have to muster all my skill and concentration. I blame the unfamiliar scale and string height.

Also, i used 12's on the LP and without thinking bought the same for the JM, with the obvious result that my fingers start hurting like hell after half an our.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:19 pm

I can't play very fast anyway. An example of my technique is the fact that I can play the solo from Sweet Child O' Mine perfectly up until the middle of the first wah-wah run. Then I'm fucked  ;D

I have found that I get slowed down by the JM's scale, but once I get used to it, I'm fine. Takes about 15 mins of warming up to get me to my usual mediocre dexterity  ;)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I think fret size and scale have a lot to do with it.  JM's are much more comfortable as guitars for playing lots of chords for me.  If I want to shred I'll get out the Les Paul.  Unfortunately playing any sort of scale gets my fingers in knots.  I'm really very bad at playing fast on any guitar.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm slow or angular and I sound confused and epileptic on every guitar I play...  ::)
...I can go fast with the left hand, fast with the right one but they never seem to want to be fast at the same time: the result is as I said confusion, angular licks, bursts of noises...
I tried to correct it for a long time, it gaves me frustation but now I'm ok with it, I'm even begining to like it and work with it.. my new music project is all about this..  :)

Btw, and I don't say this  to be provocative, this is really the way I feel: I find Jimmy Page' solos very boring to listen to, especially live when he plays solo for way too long. When I watch the Led Zep live dvd I have I always tell me that they would be a perfect band without the solos... I eventually stop the dvd because of this..  :(
I'd rather listen to Robert Johnson if I want to listen to blues..
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Heheheheh.

I had to wait for a few posts before I added my comments.

As a self-confessed electric guitar noob I find it pretty hard to get up to any kind of speed with solo / lead stuff. Due to my acoustic grounding I'm more about chords than picking.

I've found the transition from a classic guitar fretboard to a JM fretboard frustrating & challenging. If I had a decent amp to plug into it might make all the difference. GuitarRig is OK through headphones but it doesn't really give me any idea as to the dynamics of a nice big, fat, juicy amp. Something for the New Year perhaps.

So, yeah, I'm slow as fuck too!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:30 pm

i can't play very fast on any guitar, but i definitely don't feel that my jazzmasters are holding me back in any way. sure, my humbucker equipped 24.75" scale hagström is more suited for playing solos (cause it's got more gain, longer sustain and more frets) but i'm not faster on it.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:09 pm

i've played strats all my life so i have no problem playing fast (most of the stuff i play fast is frusciante. or anything off of Stadium Arcadium) but i do find that I can play "Snow ((Hey oh))" a lot quicker on my jag. I think it has to do with the fret spacing, plus you can also adjust string spacing on the jag. :)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm not really a fast player, either.  I've really never played anything but Fenders, so I can't say how I'd play on a Gibson or shred guitar...I know that I get all awkward when I pick up a Gibson, and I can't do shit with it. :(

As far as offset vs. non-offset, I really couldn't say.  Most of my guitars are 7.25" radii, except for my MIMs.  The action is a little lower on the 9.5" MIMs, but I don't think it really makes a difference...

SHIT!  Just as I was typing this, I did a trem dive on my Sunburst JM and broke a string... :(  Then I whacked the headstock on the counter to the left of my computer, and took a big nick out of the finish. >:(  Double SHIT!  I don't mind a few dings on stage, but sitting in front of the computer noodling?  That makes me mad.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Well, this is one reason I play offsets, I can haul-ass on them like on no other guitar, even Gibsons, but the edge is not that much to make too much of a difference.  Jazzmasters are no exception either, the Jazzmaster has one of my favorite 25.5" scale necks, it's skinny, fast, and doesn't need low action to be able to play fast on it for those reasons.
It's Me

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:02 pm

i grew up in southern california, i had to learn how to tap and sweep to survive!  ;)

There's 2 things IMO.  One, I think it's the radius mainly.  I mean, EVH played a strat w/ a 25.5" scale.  Slinky strings help, too.  As EVH said himself, that douche, you've got to make it as effortless as possible. 
Eric Johnson is another example.  They both played strats w/ a Gibson radius (12").

The other thing is the bridge.  Unless you use the...damn, what's it called... ah, yes. Unless you use the buzz stop, you're not gonna get that sustain or attack.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 pm

I used to think that a buzzstop would be necessary for sustain, but now I'm on a continual research to figure out how in the heck I get a ridiculous amount of sustain out of my non-buzz-stopped CIJ Jaguar running 009-042 gauge strings.  I don't even have a neck shim, by rights my strings should be moving all over the place, and my sustain should be nill, but nope, they all stay in place.  It's got me wondering if there's a difference between the Allparts replacement Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge and the stock ones found on MIJ/CIJ guitars, I don't get much buzz either, and none through the amp.

As for the Jazzmaster, it's been a long time since I've played one, but when I have, I recall the sustain not being all that bad.  My only issues most of the time were with the low E string sliding around (which I could avoid by changing my playing tecnique slightly, which aids my speed farthermore because I'm not pile-driving the pick through the lower strings like I usually do, which does slow me down somewhat no matter what guitar it is), and a low output bridge pickup in 2 of the 4 I've played, but I think that was more due to it being too low from the strings more than anything, I recall the first one I played there was a full centimeter between the bridge pickup and the strings, not like that was a biggie, the neck pickup on those is in my mind perfection.

As for the speed and the neck aespect.  I'll go into more detail.  I think a lot of why I can play very fast on a 7.16" radius with a 4th of a centimeter off the fretboard at the 21st fret, is because I learned to play rock on a classical guitar.  The Cars, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and so fourth all had some fast stuff, and I had to learn it on a flat radius classical guitar, including bending.  Add that up with 2-3 years of playing on a hair metal axe (Kramer Focus 3000) that was so prone to break strings I went through a set a week if I used anything lower than 014-060 gauge strings on it's rusty Floyd Rose'd ass. Due to all this circumstantially rough-on-my-hands business,  my fingers are very strong, I don't need "easy" low action anymore, nor do I need jumbo frets, scalloped fretboards, or any of that other silly marketing crap that sells just about every "Shred guitar".

For awhile I said that I would need liighter strings to play an offset fast, well, I learned that was'nt true when I got my Jaguar almost 2 years ago, it came with 012-056 gauge strings already on it (D'addarios), it was just as easy and fast to play with the 012's as it was with 10's or even the 009-042's it has on it now, the only reason I use 009s is because I can save my hand muscles for long stretches between notes and so fourth.

Besides, there is no real difference between playing Surf or Metal or Jazz, all three use the same exact skills, only it's twice as hard with Jazz or Surf, because now you don't have oodles of gain to cover up any mistakes, now you have a clean tone, and if you screw up, especially on a thinner biting toned guitar like a Jaguar or Jazzmaster, it's going to be FAR more obvious than a shred machine through a high gain amp.  The downside is you work harder to achieve the same thing, the upside is that hard work pays off.  It's like driving a stick shift, you have the choice of saving a few miles per gallon, or saving yourself the stress of learning to coordinate between the clutch and the gearshift and the gas pedal. Vintage  Fenders are very much so "stick-shift guitars", if you don't coordinate both hands, it's going to be more obvious with single coils than with some muffy sounding humbuckers. I like this challenge, it forces me to play cleaner and better.  A lot of metal/hard rock guitarists don't play that cleanly (meaning each note being played is distinguishable), that's what separates Steve Vai or Yngwie J. Malmsteen from the Wannabes.  Anyone can play fast, but playing fast cleanly to  where each note can be heard from it's start, beginning, and end, can be very difficult to do for some people, I'm always working at it.
It's Me

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 pm

OffYourFace wrote: i grew up in southern california, i had to learn how to tap and sweep to survive!  ;)

There's 2 things IMO.  One, I think it's the radius mainly.  I mean, EVH played a strat w/ a 25.5" scale.  Slinky strings help, too.  As EVH said himself, that douche, you've got to make it as effortless as possible. 
Eric Johnson is another example.  They both played strats w/ a Gibson radius (12").

The other thing is the bridge.  Unless you use the...damn, what's it called... ah, yes. Unless you use the buzz stop, you're not gonna get that sustain or attack.

What does sustain have to do with playing fast???  No offense....
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Fast enough.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:13 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:

What does sustain have to do with playing fast???  No offense....
Hahaha!  Nothing, i didn't explain that well.  It just gives you that little extra feel that most fast players like.  The buzzstop will have your JM feeling more like a gibson stop tail.
Shredders like sustain. 

The Buzzstop.... as the original ad said, 'make your jazz or Jag play like a real guitar!"  :-\ Fuck you...