Firemist 65 Owners club

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Firemist 65 Owners club

Post by mekhem » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:47 pm

The Pure Vintage line - AV65, AV64, AV5x Tele's and Strats - is a really good line of guitars. I have played a number of different models and they are all very good. The AV65 Jazzmasters and Jaguars that I have played have all been really good, well except one Jaguar. The Jazzmasters seem to be light and resonant, the Jaguars a little heavier on the whole.

At this point there are a lot of cheap and effective fixes for a rattling bridge.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:01 pm

46346 wrote:but i was skeptical of the reissues, as i never warmed up to an AVRI and never tried an AV65.
That's the one thing that worries me - I had an AVRI for about a year before I warmed up to it, and now it's probably my favorite JM that I own. The same might eventually happen with my silver JM (if I keep it). *Sometimes* it really just takes a while. But sometimes it never happens.
the cool part is i became pretty comfy with the neck and it was pleasingly reasonant!
This is the weird thing for me. I have massive hands with spider-like fingers and I always thought I preferred thick necks. But hard playing on my AV65 leaves me tired and cramping up in a *hurry*. I mean 2-3 songs and I'm already shaking it off. I guess I've just gotten used to my thinner AVRI and CIJ and it's hard to adjust. I feel like the AV65 necks are kind of in between - not thick enough to wrap my whole hand around, but not thin enough to just brace my thumb on the back as leverage. Someone with smaller (or... larger?!) hands might feel differently.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 pm

Bumping this to add mine to the list when I get the serial tomorrow

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:36 pm

I owned one of these in the UK. Sold it 2 years ago when I bought a vintage. Tracked it down recently but current owner is holding on to it.

I know what you mean about the neck - mine was large. I recently bought another AVRI 65 in burst and the neck is a bit more manageable- I guess the hand sanding makes them vary.