1959 Jazzmaster article... and comment!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
scottme
Expat
Expat

Re: 1959 Jazzmaster article... and comment!

Post by scottme » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm

lalalandstudios wrote: I don't know a thing about Elderly or Stan and could care less to defend them, BUT I  think the whole thing is BS. Someone who knows how to surf to Elderly's website, and find the price of their guitar they just gave up for peanuts knows how to find out how much its worth  on gbase, ebay, etc...before the sale and would be an idiot to sell it for that price. Sour grapes on a deal gone bad - yes, but those facts are utter shite.
Yep, that holds true in most circumstances. But what about dementia? Just remember, a lot of people who bought these new in the laye 50s and 60s are gettiing pretty old these days.And I'd say a good number of them are suffering from all the fun they had back then.

I'm sure vast majority here would not pay market value if offered a dream guitar for very little. I'd certainly pay as much as I coulld in certain circumstances in a way that everyone wins.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:30 pm

scottme wrote: I'm sure vast majority here would not pay market value if offered a dream guitar for very little. I'd certainly pay as much as I coulld in certain circumstances in a way that everyone wins.

Very true!  Look at forumite Mike Master...He just got a Museum-quality '65 Jag with same-year Pro-reverb for like $4000!  Nobody's calling him any names. ;)

Of course, that's not exactly pennies, but that's probably less than half of what it's really worth.  He didn't take them, though.  There was good communication, and the folks wanted him to buy it.

index.php?topic=9245.0
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
scottme wrote: I'm sure vast majority here would not pay market value if offered a dream guitar for very little. I'd certainly pay as much as I coulld in certain circumstances in a way that everyone wins.

Very true!  Look at forumite Mike Master...He just got a Museum-quality '65 Jag with same-year Pro-reverb for like $4000!  Nobody's calling him any names. ;)

Of course, that's not exactly pennies, but that's probably less than half of what it's really worth.  He didn't take them, though.  There was good communication, and the folks wanted him to buy it.

index.php?topic=9245.0
I still think there is a difference between a private buyer and an appraiser/dealer, don't you?...

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Soiouz wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:

index.php?topic=9245.0
I still think there is a difference between a private buyer and an appraiser/dealer, don't you?...
Yeh, vast majority of dealers are ruthless when it comes to making deals.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Soiouz wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:

index.php?topic=9245.0
Absolutely.  I don't think Mike Master took anyone for a ride or anything.  I'm just making an example.  I don't really care much for dealers, anyway.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:30 am

No I didnt take anyone for a ride in fact Gruhn did a $3500 appraisal on the Jag which is over the high book however I think he missed the boat even though he said it looks virtually unused.  The amp well maybe that was a more terrifice deal.  I did pay more than $4000 which is not in the category of beating old folks out of their social security.  For some reason they wanted me to have that guitar and amplifier.  I am not a dealer of course although some day the pair will be sold.

My buyer knew exactly what to do as they sent picture to Gruhn, why they didnt do that with the amp, I will never know.

At the end of the day, I dont feel bad I feel good in fact.
MikeMaster

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 am

MikeMaster wrote:
At the end of the day, I dont feel bad I feel good in fact.
And you should feel good, Mike! You're story is very different than what the other one appears to be!