Tune-o-matic bridge to fit mastery holes? (Solved)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
hessodreamy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tune-o-matic bridge to fit mastery holes? (Solved)

Post by hessodreamy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 pm

I had my project body (a thinline offset in the style of a fano RB6T) drilled for a mastery bridge. While chasing some string buzz I happened to try swapping out a tune-o-matic I had lying around. Now I think a tune-o-matic might suit this guitar better. Maybe 'cause it's a thinline, maybe the mini hum pickups, whatever.

So, is there a TOM bridge which would be a suitable drop in? As luck would have it the one I had dropped in kinda OK into the mastery thimbles. I could pad it but maybe there's a better fit (the post holes in the guitar are about 9.48mm, the inner thimble diameter about 7.8mm). PLUS, there's the added issue that the TOM I have is a lot taller than the mastery so I'd have to shim the crap out of the neck.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by hessodreamy on Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge to fit mastery holes?

Post by timtam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 am

Most TOMs with big posts are M8 threads. So that doesn't leave much room for body bushings with OD anywhere near to your 9.48mm holes. They're often around 11-12mm. The next size down, usually M5 posts (the size you dropped into the Mastery thimbles ?), generally have bushings with OD around 7mm. So there may not be an 'easy' option as such.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

hessodreamy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge to fit mastery holes?

Post by hessodreamy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:59 pm

To answer my own question I managed it. I found a hosco bridge with 7mm posts and the same 74mm post spacing as the mastery (I’m sure better quality examples are out there too). I filled the holes with some 9.5 mm dowel and drilled the 7mm holes in the dowel to fit the new bridge.

I haven’t had to drill the guitar in any way and the dowels will just pop out so it’s completely reversible.

I know not many people would want to do this, but if someone wanted to go down the mascis or cobain route without butchering their guitar this might be useful.