Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Veitchy » Wed May 05, 2021 12:42 am

I'm going to get the nut slots enlarged on my CV Jazzmaster. 11-50 is my usual gauge, but I'm also tempted to try 12s this time around. Knowing that nut slots are often cut slightly wider than the string gauge, especially where trems are involved, I'm wondering if I get the nut cut for 12s first up, will the slots be too wide for the 11s if I decide to go back down?

String gauges are as follows if that's at all useful. Both are using an unwound third.

011, 015, 018, 26, 36, 50.

012, 016, 019, 028, 038, 052.

User avatar
Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:26 pm
Location: Phillyish

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Scout » Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am

Nut slots are not cut to the thousandth of an inch, won’t be an issue .

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Veitchy » Wed May 05, 2021 4:30 pm

Scout wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am
Nut slots are not cut to the thousandth of an inch, won’t be an issue .
Ok, that's reassuring. I figured most of the middle strings would be fine, but I wasn't sure about the tolerances on the outside e/E especially.

User avatar
Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:26 pm
Location: Phillyish

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Scout » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 am

A properly cut nut is only half the diameter of a wound string or thereabouts in depth , also wide enough that it won’t bind.

User avatar
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am

A little off topic but, I use 11-48s on my JM, would like to go to 12s but don’t like a wound G.. are there any pure nickel sets that do 12s without a wound G or would it just be matter of buying single Gs?

On topic, I spoke to a luthier about my nut slots if I go to 12s and as another poster said, it should be fine, might need to adjust the truss rod right enough.

User avatar
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am
A little off topic but, I use 11-48s on my JM, would like to go to 12s but don’t like a wound G.. are there any pure nickel sets that do 12s without a wound G or would it just be matter of buying single Gs?

On topic, I spoke to a luthier about my nut slots if I go to 12s and as another poster said, it should be fine, might need to adjust the truss rod right enough.
I thought D'Add used to do a set, but I can't find it anymore. Stringjoy can hook you up with a plain G set of 12s for not a ton of cash, and I know Kalium, Labella, and D'Add can all do that if you're ordering a custom set.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2557
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by jorri » Sat May 08, 2021 1:29 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 am
Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am
A little off topic but, I use 11-48s on my JM, would like to go to 12s but don’t like a wound G.. are there any pure nickel sets that do 12s without a wound G or would it just be matter of buying single Gs?

On topic, I spoke to a luthier about my nut slots if I go to 12s and as another poster said, it should be fine, might need to adjust the truss rod right enough.
I thought D'Add used to do a set, but I can't find it anymore. Stringjoy can hook you up with a plain G set of 12s for not a ton of cash, and I know Kalium, Labella, and D'Add can all do that if you're ordering a custom set.
12-60 set, this may be only NYXL series but used to use them, plain G

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Veitchy » Sun May 09, 2021 4:26 pm

D'addario definitely made a set at some point, I had some on my Tele. GHS make the Boomer set I outlined above, though I've no idea what their nickel content is. They may make an unwound set in one of their other lines. Otherwise, Stringjoy or another custom string maker would likely be your best bet as you may be able to spec every string you want in the set.

User avatar
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon May 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Ah cheers man, I’ll have a look into these.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2557
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by jorri » Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 am

Veitchy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:30 pm
Scout wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am
Nut slots are not cut to the thousandth of an inch, won’t be an issue .
Ok, that's reassuring. I figured most of the middle strings would be fine, but I wasn't sure about the tolerances on the outside e/E especially.
For reference when i changed from 100 strings on my bass VI to ~70 for baritone tuning i didnt have a single issue or rattle. Depends on the nut but changing to the next guage probably not, unless you go large and the string wont fit.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Veitchy » Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

jorri wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 am
For reference when i changed from 100 strings on my bass VI to ~70 for baritone tuning i didnt have a single issue or rattle. Depends on the nut but changing to the next guage probably not, unless you go large and the string wont fit.
Good data. Cheers.

User avatar
Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 am

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Arc » Wed May 12, 2021 1:00 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am
A little off topic but, I use 11-48s on my JM, would like to go to 12s but don’t like a wound G.. are there any pure nickel sets that do 12s without a wound G or would it just be matter of buying single Gs?

On topic, I spoke to a luthier about my nut slots if I go to 12s and as another poster said, it should be fine, might need to adjust the truss rod right enough.
Daddario XL148 12-16-20-36-48-60 but they are nickel plated steel and I really don’t like them, and Thomastik-Infeld jazz bebop 12-16-20-27-37-50, pure nickel, double wrap of thin nickel wire, balanced tension, very smooth and warm tone. I have them on a les Paul scale guitar, but they’re pricey, 20€ in Europe, 30+$ in the US. They last forever though.

User avatar
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Arc wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:00 pm
Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am
A little off topic but, I use 11-48s on my JM, would like to go to 12s but don’t like a wound G.. are there any pure nickel sets that do 12s without a wound G or would it just be matter of buying single Gs?

On topic, I spoke to a luthier about my nut slots if I go to 12s and as another poster said, it should be fine, might need to adjust the truss rod right enough.
Daddario XL148 12-16-20-36-48-60 but they are nickel plated steel and I really don’t like them, and Thomastik-Infeld jazz bebop 12-16-20-27-37-50, pure nickel, double wrap of thin nickel wire, balanced tension, very smooth and warm tone. I have them on a les Paul scale guitar, but they’re pricey, 20€ in Europe, 30+$ in the US. They last forever though.
Ah great man. Ordered a set of the Infeld bebop 12-50, I’d always assumed they had a wound G. I’ve used pure nickel D’Addario 11-49 for ages man, fancy a wee change. Not too bad price wise for me in Scotland, 16 sheets off Amazon.

Cheers man, good tip

User avatar
Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 am

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Arc » Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Yeah more or less same price in Italy. They are great strings in my opinion. The double wrap of thin wire makes them soft to the touch, the round core is thinner as a consequence and being wrapped in nickel they do not push the pickups too hard. The tension is almost perfectly even across the set, therefore you could feel like the top strings being stiff, but you’ll soon find that employing the same kind of strength for every string is rewarding in terms of technique improvement. I dig the brass plating on the GBE strings too. And they last for ages really.

Colnago
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:01 am
Location: Not sure.

Re: Nut Slots - How Wide is Too Wide?

Post by Colnago » Mon May 17, 2021 2:56 pm

Scout wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am
Nut slots are not cut to the thousandth of an inch, won’t be an issue .
Not sure what you mean. My nut files are measured as such.
Whenever I go up a size I always try with the existing slots and they nearly always need to be adjusted wider.
I’ve not tried going back down a size though, so I don’t know if the OP would have issues doing so or not.
Curious to know how nut slots are cut if they’re not cut to the thousandth of an inch.

Post Reply