American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

For help with setups and other technical issues.
User avatar
ryanpullin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 pm

American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by ryanpullin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 am

Can someone help me decipher all this?

Image

Image

Image

I'm a little salty about the jazzmaster I've got, as it was a made to order and finished around the time the American Pro II line started getting publicity. I really like the wiring setup they've got going on with them, but I'm having trouble figuring it all out in order to replicate it in my guitar. I typically reference fender service manuals, but I haven't found one posted for these yet.

For reference, the "rhythm" circuit has now become an in series circuit. It looks like it uses a 4PDT two way slider switch, and I assume the pots are both 1 meg.

The tone pot is a push/push that makes the bridge pickup have more body and output. I'm not 100% sure what's going on with that circuit either.

I know they used 500k pots for the lead circuit on the AmPro 1st gens, and I'm not sure if they went back to the 1 megs or if they stuck with 500ks.

Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by timtam » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:14 am

The parts/wiring manual usually drops several months after the guitar is released. The last complex-circuited JM was the Ultra. Its wiring was traced by a member here who had access to an Ultra, before the manual came out. With the Am Pro II JM adding circuitry for which there is no real precedent - series rhythm circuit with roller volume and tone pots, plus the bridge coil tap - an early wiring diagram would probably similarly require someone to have the guitar in their hands so that they could trace it out. The pics alone are too hard to do that with. Do you have access to the actual guitar or just the wiring pics ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

User avatar
ryanpullin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by ryanpullin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 am

I can totally understand that. These are some of the only pictures I've been able to find that actually shows the loaded pickguard off of the body with close ups of the wiring. I found this on a Reverb listing, and it's the best I've been able to find so far.

User avatar
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by gibs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Bumping this thread, would like to wire my JM build similarly, maybe now more people have the Am Pro II that are willing to trace the wiring for the rest of us, I haven’t found a service manual for it as of yet.

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by timtam » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:28 pm

gibs wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:18 pm
Bumping this thread, would like to wire my JM build similarly, maybe now more people have the Am Pro II that are willing to trace the wiring for the rest of us, I haven’t found a service manual for it as of yet.
I've been watching for the service manual for what seems like months now. For some reason Fender has not posted them for any of the Am Pro II series yet (strat, tele, JM). Strange times for sure, but they're really late.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

User avatar
tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by tammyw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Here is a messy drawing. The lead pots are both 500K, while the upper circuit are both 1MEG. Both caps are 223k (0.022uf).

Image

The blue wire on the bridge pickup is the mid-coil tap, so with the switch in the innie position blue is disconnected from the circuit and you get the full ~11.35k (black to yellow), with the switch in the outtie position the yellow is disconnected and you're only getting 7.35k (black to blue).
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

User avatar
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by gibs » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:17 am

tammyw wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm
Here is a messy drawing. The lead pots are both 500K, while the upper circuit are both 1MEG. Both caps are 223k (0.022uf).

Image

The blue wire on the bridge pickup is the mid-coil tap, so with the switch in the innie position blue is disconnected from the circuit and you get the full ~11.35k (black to yellow), with the switch in the outtie position the yellow is disconnected and you're only getting 7.35k (black to blue).
Awesome, thank you so much!

User avatar
mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 am

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by mauri » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:39 am

Great explanation and scheme, thanks. I was wondering what is going on with the wiring (blue wire). Makes me wonder how to change the bridge pickup to some aftermarket ones, since now Fender has added the "mid-coil tap" as a third wire? Or do you just lose the push-pull -functionality / rewire to get the full output on both positions?

User avatar
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by gibs » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 pm

mauri wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:39 am
Great explanation and scheme, thanks. I was wondering what is going on with the wiring (blue wire). Makes me wonder how to change the bridge pickup to some aftermarket ones, since now Fender has added the "mid-coil tap" as a third wire? Or do you just lose the push-pull -functionality / rewire to get the full output on both positions?
Could repurpose as a mute/kill switch. Up position mutes your signal, and the down position activates the electronics.

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by timtam » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 pm

The official service manual/wiring diagram has finally dropped from Fender:
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... master.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

User avatar
tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by tammyw » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:11 am

In the Fender diagram, on the tone pot push-push switch they've mixed up the blue and yellow wires from the bridge pickup. The blue wire should be on the pin closest to the pot body. :fp:
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by timtam » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 am

tammyw wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:11 am
In the Fender diagram, on the tone pot push-push switch they've mixed up the blue and yellow wires from the bridge pickup. The blue wire should be on the pin closest to the pot body. :fp:
Strangely, they got it right on the switch in left hand version !
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... ter_LH.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

User avatar
mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 am

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by mauri » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:05 am

gibs wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Could repurpose as a mute/kill switch. Up position mutes your signal, and the down position activates the electronics.
I was thinking the same, but it would only affect on the bridge -pickup. I'm thinking of replacing the tone knob with the traditional knob if the wiring isn't too complicated to rework. Ofcourse I could just leave it as it is and the other position just doesn't work. I don't find that much use for the push-push anyways, atleast for so far.

User avatar
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by gibs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 am

mauri wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:05 am
gibs wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Could repurpose as a mute/kill switch. Up position mutes your signal, and the down position activates the electronics.
I was thinking the same, but it would only affect on the bridge -pickup. I'm thinking of replacing the tone knob with the traditional knob if the wiring isn't too complicated to rework. Ofcourse I could just leave it as it is and the other position just doesn't work. I don't find that much use for the push-push anyways, atleast for so far.
If you take the line from the center lug of the 4pdt switch running to the jack tip, and run it first to the push/push switch, then one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the output jack, it would then mute both pickups.

User avatar
mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 am

Re: American Professional II Jazzmaster Wiring Help

Post by mauri » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 am

gibs wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 am
If you take the line from the center lug of the 4pdt switch running to the jack tip, and run it first to the push/push switch, then one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the output jack, it would then mute both pickups.
Thanks, nice to know it could be done. I almost understand what needs to be wired, but still not enough without a diagram ;D So maybe I'll just try the pups and see how it goes. Starting to get regrets with Antiquity ones, maybe I should have gone with 2 instead..

Post Reply