SBS: Fret level-crown-polish

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

SBS: Fret level-crown-polish

Post by Scout » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:01 pm

It’s that time of year when I stay inside and do guitar projects quickly as opposed to my normal procrastination. I just added to my G&L obsession with a really cool gold sparkle Legend, that’s the Strat version that Leo was perfecting his whole life. It was a good deal but needed a little help, just as I like them. I got it home and checked a few measurements before I destrung it , the relief was set at @ .010 , just about right and the action was was fine . I took the strings off and cleaned and oiled the fingerboard, that’s pretty standard for any guitar I get, and I got a better look at the frets. It had the usual divots on the high strings in the first position, not crazy deep but there , but the center frets, say 5th to 10th were flat on top. If this was summer I would have restrung it and continued the set up but it’s like 20 degrees out so I did a level/crown/polish and took some pictures to try to demystify this process for those where have never seen it done. This is my process, I start by adjusting the truss rod to get the fingerboard as flat as possible .
Some people use a jig to set it up under playing type tensions, I don’t but then again I’m far from a perfectionist .
Next I tape the adjoining finished areas with low tack tape so as not to pull the finish up.
It has a sweet tiger maple neck, total win! For the fingerboard I use a stronger tape and get everything covered, its a dirty process. After its covered I mark the fret tops to help gauge the leveling.
My leveling bar is a machinists level with 400 grit sandpapered glued to the surface, it’s what I have lying around but I’ve used everything from wood to sharpening plates, it just has to be flat. The machinists level has the right heft to do the job, I don’t put any downward pressure , I just keep it inline and check frequently to see when all the frets have been touched.
At this point the leveling is complete, I wipe it down with Naptha and remark it for the crowning. I bought a good crowning file but I have done it with everything from a homemade safe file( it has the edges ground off) to an old school fret file( I bought it in the ‘90’s) to this Stew Mac diamond version, worth every penny.
The object here is the remove and round over the sides of the fret but leave a small “land” on the top for the string to reference when you fret it.
Some of the frets are exactly perfectly landed, some aren’t. These G&L frets were nice and tall to start with, @.055 to .060. and wide and flat and I really had to grind the sides downs. That’s it for crowning. I wipe it down again and after each polishing stage, here’s the pads I use now but I’ve used wet/ dry sandpaper and emery boards in the past.
That’s it, it took about an hour and a half total time. Its not a difficult job but can be a little intimidating if you’re doing it for the
first time and aside from the crowning file doesn’t require a huge outlay of tools and materials. Hope this helped somebody visualize a common guitar maintenance job. Enjoy on a cold ass winter Sunday!

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SBS: Fret level-crown-polish

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Nice work and thanks for the step by step. I’ve got 3 beaters waiting for me to learn this skill just sitting by my work bench. Seeing this thread is inspiring me to give it a go - so, thank you!

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:03 am

That’s great, go for it! There’s a satisfaction you get from fixing things yourself.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:06 am

I've watched a lot of videos about guitar building and setup but this is a great write up with pictures, thanks !
I think I'm mixing things up regarding the levelling, you don't need to do this with a radiused block ?

mikeymike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeymike » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:20 am

Excellent! Thank you for this

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 am

Flurko wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:06 am
I've watched a lot of videos about guitar building and setup but this is a great write up with pictures, thanks !
I think I'm mixing things up regarding the levelling, you don't need to do this with a radiused block ?
The radius blocks are for shaping the fingerboard before fretting. The key takeaway above leveling is to take as little as needed, you just want to even things up and some frets will always be higher, think about the bass side frets higher up the neck that really don’t get alot of pressure. First position frets will get divots at some point due to high usage, the D note on the B string always seems to get it first. If it’s really deep I won’t even take it all the way down to eliminate it totally, if you look at the post leveling pic you can still see the slight divot there. By the time you finish polishing it will all but be gone or at least really close. I try to find a happy medium between taking just enough to level and grinding all the divots out. I have to clarify that this is my process and on my guitars, when I worked for a music store I had to gauge each player’s expectations and work accordingly . It’s smart to start on a guitar with high frets, less of a chance for going too far. But I really think that everyone should at least be able to set up their own guitar to the way they want it to play, this is sort of a second level set up skill.